1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Fisher Cats

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrrem3200, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

Seems we’re having an influx of fisher cats in our area within the last few years. I wanted to know if anyone had information on them; more specifically would they go after a lab size dog? I just read an article where one recently attached a man in NH, although this seems rare. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

2. porky

porky TS Member

There are more and more cases of fishers attacking people as well as eating their pets. You should google " fisher cats " and read all the articles about them. The fishers are the Northest version of badger, but perhaps not as afraid of humans and certainly can live in the areas that humans do.

3. 100straight

100straight Member

30 years ago I fought the anti-trapping groups, and kept hearing "they can't take away our right to trap" over and over again. I was told how anti-trappers were such a small minority that they surely wouldn't have a serious impact on trapping. Now we are seeing the result of anti-trapping laws and low fur prices due to a lack of knowledge concerning proper furbearer management. I hope shooters might learn something from this.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

100straight, that's why I always send money to the NTA and belong to the PTA. I don't have the physical capability of longlining anymore they still deserve and get my support!!

5. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

I saw one of these things in the UP of Michigan in the early 90's while bear hunting. I was remember I was amazed at the size of it. I'm sure it can do some damage if cornered or threatened.

6. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I don't think from what I just read on their size that they would go after your larger lab unless they were forced to.

7. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

Hey thanks for all the great information. I got a dopey lovable lab and, what appears to be a few fisher cats in the area. Just have to keep a close on him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.