1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Finiancial Stock buying advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deercreek, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Need some advise, I have some interest in several companies stock. This is probably more just to satisfy myself and say "I have it" rather than serious investment. What I do not know about is online purchases vs. using a human broker. What are the cost differences and advantages of one over another. I am looking for some serious knowledgeable responses to assist my "not knowing". What on line companies are easy to buy through. Thanks, Bryan Drop the X's

2. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Way, Way back when, a long time ago, my full service broker would charge me around $200 for a trade I can do myself now for ten bucks.

A full service broker has the advantage of giving you advice. However, often they work for a company that has large holdings in certain stocks, and the brokerage company uses the broker to move that stock to you when they are done with it. So you have the caveat that the advice you recieve may not be impartial.

Online services don't tend to give you any advice. Research tools for sure, but not actual advice. The advantage is that the lower cost translates to significant gains over time.

My advice to you is to self educate yourself about the financial services and investing, and start making your own decisions. It isn't hard to get very close to matching the market average, it is quite difficult to satisfy greed and get rich quick, or even just beat the market average over a long period of time.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm staying in cash for the moment, or non-US stuff. The market has a ways to fall in my opinnion. I might consider a short selling mutual. No, not even that.

Mutuals are just too much thin ice. Motley's top ten last year performed like dog poo.

Out of country or stay in cash for now.

HM

HM

4. B V

B V TS Member

I have had good economical service buying and selling using Fidelity investments. Having a mutual fund account with any company usually qualifies you to use their buying and selling service at a rate much cheaper than a broker

5. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Some good advice from tomk2......

TIME has been my ally when it comes to stocks. We bought a mess of Savings Bank stocks over the past 25 years and have reinvested all the profits. A tidy nest egg that will probably be spent on a new Ferrari by my Daughter when I die.

FN in MT

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

FN ... how old is your daughter now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.