1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T eyesight/cataract question?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chiefjon, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Went to the eye doctor yesterday for a routine checkup. His final words were, you have great vision, but you have begining cataracts in both eyes. I was taken back and didn't ask the right questions. I know several of you have had similiar problems, including surgery. I would ask for some input. I understand there is nothing to treat cataracts until it is time for surgery, but is there anything to do to delay the onset? What are the time frames between initial diagnosis and surgery? Do eye drops, vitamins, etc. help in any way.

Thanks for any feedback. Guess I will go shoot some trap and enjoy it while I can...side note: I am generally healthy as a horse...no diabetes...some high blood pressure issues, but under control.

JON

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have beginning cataracts in both eyes but fortunately my right eye has sharper vision. The eye doc told me I am not yet ready for surgery because my vision is not bad enough yet at least not on the day he tested me. I have good days and bad days. I use eye drops when my eyes seem very dry. I go to the Ophthamologist once a year for the exam.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The only solution is surgery. There are no drugs or eye drops that will help. The usual time frame for surgery is when the cataracts cause vision impairment. That time can only be estimated at best. HMB

4. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

There is some "standard" for when they are "bad"enough for surgery.Fortunately the doc I went to was a shooter and understood what problems I was having so the surgery was done earlier than it might have been.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I made my doctor do both, 2 weeks apart. No way was I going to have my shooting eye corrected with glasses and my off eye perfect.

You will love haveing your eyes done. You will probably need readers but your vision of the target will be 20-20.

And plano lenses are much cheaper, LOL.

HM

6. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

It was two years from the time my cataracts were first noted until I had surgery on both eyes, about a month apart. Have 20/20 in one eye & 20/30 in the other. Had one problem after surgery with my left eye. There is thin membrane right behind the cataract implant that became cloudy. This happens very infrequently and the fix was easy. My eye doctor used a Laser and burned the film away. I have some very small black flecks of burnt film floating in that eye but this has not a problem. Like haflmile wrote plano lens are cheap so I now have 15 different colors and shades of lens. I also need reading glasses which I got a Walgreens, 2 pair for $10.00 on sale. Nothing to worry about.

7. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

I had my cataracts were removed at Johns Hopkins several years ago. At the time the Dr. said the clinical criteria to remove them was when the degradation of your vision interfered with your normal daily activity. The Dr. was not a shooter, but when I told him that they interfered with my shooting, he had no problem with justifying the surgery for the insurance. The net is that you decide when to do the surgery, and I recommend not waiting. Good luck, Billy

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Having the first of two cataracts removed tomorrow. The second one will be removed on December 18th. Right eye is bad and only correctable to a point with lenses because of its size and location. Decided to get both done and get it over with.

DoubleAuto

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Jon, I had mine removed back in 2005. Walked around the shop staring at light bulbs. Couldn't believe how bright they were.

It was affecting my shooting, but, the real qualifier was it was interfering with my ability to see those little lines on my micrometers at work!!

that was the real kicker...

Jim Chapman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cataract hmb