1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T External drive won't backup. Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

O/T External drive won

I purchased a Seagate 320 external drive to hook to my computer to store things that I don't use often and to help speed up the computer. It will not do a backup and the only instruction that came with it was how to connect it up. I tell it to back up and it starts but always fails. The printout of the attempted back up if full of errors. Any suggestions. I tried to contact Seagate by email and they no longer respond to emails. Jackie B.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

" I tried to contact Seagate by email and they no longer respond to emails"

That don't sound good Jack.

3. burtona

burtona Member

May be a device driver issue. I'd see if there are any downloadable driver updates for it and if that failed I'd box it up and take it back to where you bought it and get another brand.

4. archangel

archangel Member

I had this problem it would back up with errors. there are comments online about this. i think i corrected it by making sure the areas (files?) it backs up to are not read only files. i found the answer on line and i'm a computer dummy but it fixed it for me. i hope this helps

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Usually a software issue. They give you this broken software for free with your drive. There's a free program called Cobian and it works well in Windows. It handles individual files, folders, or partitions well. You can also download a program from Seagate called DiscWizard that allows you to make an "Image" of your existing drive.

6. Shooting Jack

Thanks for your help. Jackie B.

7. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Jackie

If you have not resolved your issue, try this. If using xp,right click start button, choose explore, make sure your external drive is listed. Go back to start button, choose accessories, system tools then backup, follow the wizard to choose what and when to backup. Good luck, shoot well and often.

Buddy

8. Shooting Jack

Hi Buddy,

Thanks for the info as I have not resooved the problem. I did as you suggested and under system tools it does not list backup. I am using xp pro. Suggestions please. Jackie B.

9. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Jackie

Backup may not have gotten installed originally. Try again

start-accessories-system tolls-backup

If you still can't find it, go to start-help and search for backup and see if a link comes up to click on. If just did not get installed then you will have to go to add/remove programs,windows components and install it. Here is my personnel e-mail if I can help.

Buddy

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Shooting Jack

Let me give a little more detail about my last post. What I suggested is not using the Seagate program that came with the drive. I would copy all of the files that came on the drive over to a folder on your hard drive and then reformat the external drive to NTFS. Installing a program such as Cobian Backup will allow you to make a customized backup and schedule it as you wish. Using Volume Shadow Copying will permit you to copy and backup files that are in use. Maxtor/Seagate software usually does not have that ability. Install it as a "Program" for all users. It works great in Win XP and works on all versions of Windows since, including Server editions. It also allows you to make "Incremental" backups as well as regular full backups, or you can just backup whatever files, folders, or directories you want. Cobian can be found at the link above. It's also "free", donations accepted.

The Seagate Disc Wizard Program is basically a version of "Acronis" software that can make an "Image" of your drive. It's another backup option and allows you to restore the system exactly as it was when the backup was made. It's also a "free" program for use with Seagate Drives.

In any event, you should do a complete drive error check before backing up or imaging your drive. Defragmenting it wouldn't hurt either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.