1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Evinrude outboard motor question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shootrman, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Excuse my ignorance but I just bought a 15 hp evinrude outboard (no paper work) and with it being my first outboard ever, I dont know much about it. My biggest question is what is the gas/oil ratio? It's a 1997, Model #E15RLEUC, Serial # G04340240. I did find a site that I can order a manual, which I will, but I'd like to hear it run before I have to wait for a manual. Any help is appreciated and I thank you ahead of time.

2. bb-84

bb-84 Member

50-1 would be my first guess.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

use Amsoil and you can go 100-1

4. SR1

SR1 TS Member

50-1

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Shootman, that year was still being made by OMC. I got the 115hp of that same year and it is a 50:l ratio. I am not sure about the smaller size outboards for sure. You will need to find a Evinrude dealer near where you live and buy a few things for that engine. First there is a small bottle with all the lines for about of gallons and oil needed for all the ratio's on same bottle. Use it to fill your port. gas tanks with. Second those motors need to be cleaned of carbon deposits to remove the build up. If you do not remove this build up it can and will build up under your rings untill they slip off the pistons.Buy the carbon reducer and mix with the fuel. Replace the gas filter now. Replace the oil in the lower unit now as well. Unless of course you know and trust the person you bought the motor from that he did the regular maint. on motor. Need to check and or replace the water pump and the thermostate. Only use OMC bulk oil in your motor. These motors will last a long time if you just do the reg. maint. My motor still has perfect compression since I bought it in 97. Good Luck with the motor and happy boating. Oh, Yeh, don't forget to break=em all. Jeff

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Shootman, just buy a good(tcw3) mixing oil and factory recommends a 50 to 1 ratio. Most important is to not crank it without it being in the water, a tank or flusher. Even a little bit can damage the water pump. If you have any questions I will be glad to try to answer them or you can call me at 912 449 1010 or email me(remove x's). Among the other things I've done is boat motor repair. Jackie B.

7. gotbass

gotbass Member

After having a power tune, pay a shop to do it don't do it yourself, start running Ringfree in your gas as it will help with carbon build up. I would use the OMC oil. Don't try and save money by buying cheaper oil. In outboards good oil is a cheap investment. Change the impeller every year even if you don't put a lot of hours on it as they will take a set. Have fun. Mike

8. M-16

M-16 TS Member

50/1 is fine and diffently use good oil. Also premuim gas starts to break down the oil once mixed due to it's addittives in it. Try to keep fuel under 30days old once mixed. If wanting to have a larger supply of fuel on hand fill your fuel tank and hook the proper oil amount to it to be mixed when ready to use.
    Make dam sure you don't use it without the oil. The altralite airplanes use alot of rotax 2 cycle engines and they did a lot of tests. It's diffently worse if a airplane motor quits than a boat. Also from racing bikes Amsoil is a good oil but at 100/1 it allowed more wear than a quality oil at 50/1 so we lowered the ratio to 60/1 with sucsess. A boat motor can and useally is under heavey stress due to extended wide open/high rpm periods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.