1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Ever see a white-headed cardinal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trapwife, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

With all the snow, I've been feeding and bird watching alot this week. Last year we had a female cardinal with a white head come to our feeder and she has come back this week. Anyone else ever have one like this? I would post a photo, but I have to wait until one of the kids are home, I'm just too old and dumb to figure out how to do that.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I like to put birdseed at the bottom of a birdbath filled with bleach, LOL.

-Gary

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I saw a white headed eagle once............lol. Sorry couldn't help myself.

4. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Yes you will find them clustered around the Pope.

--- Chip King ---

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Karla, are you forgetting Whitey Herzog?

7. trapwife

Sportshot, my white headed lady has more of a "top-knot" than I can see in your photo. Any conservationists on here who can explain this? Bisi, as a true STL Cardinals fan, Leo is looking forward to his induction into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame next month...among others, Tom Pagnozzi, former Cardinals catcher is also being inducted. I'm taking a trading card to get signed...

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Chip King... right on!

Jay

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Trapwife:

I do not think that your bird is a Cardinal as it does not have the Cardinal's distinctive topknot.

I think that it may be an immature female Snow Bunting. These birds spend their summer in Alaska and migrate to central North America in winter. They are the a little smaller than a Northern Cardinal and a little more portly. The female has a white rounded head, rusty tan crown where a Cardinal would have a topknot and an orange beak.

A mature Snow Bunting has a lot more white on its body and is nicknamed a "Snowflake".

I am not sure if I am correct but you bird does not look like a cardinal to me.

Here is a link to the Snow Bunting. Look for the breeding female: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Snow_Bunting/id

Maybe somebody can provide a better identification.

We get a lot of Blue Buntings in Kentucky in the late spring. The Northern Cardinal which is the Kentucky state bird, is around all year. They typically are a more streamlined bird.

Ed Ward

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

People from Missouri don't know from cardinals. They know their bluebirds though. Hey if a redbird married a bluebird would the offspring be purples?

11. trapwife

Ed, that isn't a picture of my bird, mine does have a top-knot. Barry, you silly guy, how do you think we get purple-martins? Happy New Year...

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

ummmm

13. tachyon

tachyon Member

Trapwife, there are a couple of birds which look a lot like cardinals but have white heads.

A couple of years ago a Phainopepla visited our bird feeder all winter. At first I thought it was an albino cardinal but finally figured out what it was. They usually are southwest birds and are very rare here in Omaha.

There is also a
    [​IMG] a Pyrrhuloxia which is also a southwest bird that looks a little like a cardinal.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've looked through all of my bird books and I don't see anything like the bird pictured.

15. trapwife

My bird still looks different from these pictures. Wish I was smart enough to get my photo to post. I'll keep working on that...

16. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Karla can you email the photo if so send it to me and I will add a note to the post that it is your bird.

Foggy

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

trapwife, did you make or receive some reeeaaallllyyyyy good fruitcake for Christmas?

18. trapwife

The only fruitcakes at this house over Christmas was some of the family members. Was I supposed to get one? I've still got your'll presents and will wait til I see you both, Florida, maybe? I'm mad at the post office...bought a $20 child's gift and got charged $33 to mail it overseas...WOW....

19. trapwife

Foggy, I'll try, but I'm having computer issues and can't get my photos to download...I'll keep trying.

20. turmite

turmite Member

Trapwife is this it?

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can a cardinal have a white head

does a female cardinal have thay top knot yoo

northern white-headed cardinal

white headed cardinal