1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

O/T English Setters

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fcd67, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fcd67

fcd67 Member

So I am thinking of getting an English Setter puppy mainly for a house dog and to do some bird hunting with. I know nothing about them. We have a Golden that is getting pretty old and my wife would like for her(the golden) to have a companion. We also have 8 and 10 yr old boys.
    We live in WI, have a lot of room out in the country and spend a lot of time outdoors. Any breeders recommended and general info is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sean
  2. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I am a life long Lab owner that just happens to own some setters. It is a competition between the two breeds to see who can be more loving. Both breeds love and need to be around people and will thrive on affection. Besides they both make great gun dogs.
    My suggestion is to contact someone in National Shoot To Retrieve NSTRA in your area and you can get a good lead on some fine litters. Go to nstra.org then look up your region for a contact person.
    Live Well Wayne
  3. Garry

Garry Member

Check out the link above.
  4. Garry

Garry Member

Check out the link above.
  5. adhumston

adhumston TS Member

There are a few breeders up in your area.

http://www.goodgoing.com/setters/setlet.html

http://www.beirlsetters.com/

http://www.rymanenglishsetters.com/index.html

I have a pup out of a Good Go Ing dog (Zuess is the sire) and so far he looks to be a wonderful dog. He's just 10 months old so I really haven't put any pressure on him yet as far as bird are concerned, but he's extremely birdy and loves to play fetch. He is a house dog and loves to cuddle... his favorite place is sitting on the couch, leaning against me with his head on my sholder. I have to English setters and wouldn't trade them for any other breed, though Irish setters will always have a soft spot in my heart too.
  6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I had four english setters, one after the other, and all were a mutual love affair.
  7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have owned Setters for 30 years and, although I love all of the sporting breeds, I would not own anything else. I presently have 3 and they are all wonderful companions and fine bird dogs. I hunt them about 30 to 40 times per year so they get a lot of time in the field but that does not diminish their companionate nature one bit.

The one thing to note about the breed is that it takes 2 years for them to mature into "civilized" companions. Until then they can be a bit "full of themselves" though never trully wilfull or disobedient. When they cross that 2 year mark, you'd think that they can read your mind and would do anything to please you. My youngest will be 2 on April 1 and the change in him is remarkable. The transition from a puppy to the world's greatest buddy is well under way. Now all he wants is to be with me and to do whatever I want.

You can try Berg Brothers for a pup. Scott usually has some very nice dogs.
  8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

if you can try checking rescues for that specific breed...lots of folks had to give up nice purebreeds of all types with the current economic situation...you just might find the perfect pal you're looking for and save your own money too..its how I got my lab,..best decision i ever made..shes the best dog I've ever owned so it must have devastated the family who had to give her up.....check the link....also there is www.petfinder.com
  9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I endorse what CalvinMD says. What a great thing to do. I have a friend who has rescued several English Setters and has never regretted doing it. Imagine what these great dogs must feel being separated from the ones they loved. I guarantee you will get back in love and companionship much more than you give - and much more than you expect.

If you do this and want to know some tricks about brining a mature dog into the house with a resident dog, send me an e-mail. My technique always works.
  10. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Your heart will tell you what dog to get. My father has one and he is a loving and energetic dog. Has lots of potential but he is mainly a pet and he's a good one. Seems you made up your mind already and don't need conformation from anyone here. Good luck
  11. fcd67

fcd67 Member

I guess right now I am wondering about genetics. Are Ryman or
    Llewellin genetics any better than a wellbred dog from a reputable breeder?
  12. dt-em

dt-em TS Member

I have 4 setters and they truly are your best friend. Wonderful family dog. Just never-never kennel one in back yard, need your companionship. I highly suggest getting a Gordon setter. Wonderful dog both in field and at home---nose second to none. Harold (iowa)
  13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

You will not be sorry in getting a england setter. We had them as a kid and they were great dogs. Good temper and good nature and friendly.
  14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

Harold ( dt-em ), I agree the Gordon Setter is a fantastic bird dog with a terrific nose and a great companion!

One of the Vets at Stanford Vet school told me the Gordon's have larger scent glands in their nose than other pointing dogs! Great in the home and fabulous in the woods and fields for a walking hunter!! Loves being around people and loves playing with kids too! One of the best kept secret breeds in the bird dog world!

I love all pointing, retrieving and flushing dogs, heck, I even love a good mutt now and then too!

Hap
  15. Wass

Wass Member

I've owned and hunted English Setters for 20 years now. They have all been great with my kids, great in the field and very loving dogs for my familiy.

I got my most recent Setter from Berg Brothers in Minnesota. I highly recommend one of their dogs if you can get a spot for an upcoming litter.

Wass
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.