1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DS-AA, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DS-AA

DS-AA Member

Mobil 1

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Synthetic. I like Amsoil.

3. fishon

fishon TS Member

i wouldnt use synthetic till the motor gets some miles on it like 20000 miles

4. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Corvette engines come off the factory floor with synthetic in them.

I would use Mobil1 or Valvoline Synpower.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Mercedes also comes with Synthetic Oil. Dealer uses Mobil 1

I go 12,000 miles between changes - 125,000 miles and runs almost like new. I find I need to add a quart every 6-7,000 miles now; whereas when new, I would go without adding oil between changes.

To put things in perspective, I have over 220,000 miles on a 94 Jeep with a 6 Cyl and it still runs fine. Used only "normal" oil and changed it every 3,500 miles. It burns a quart every 1500-2000 miles.

Don

6. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I use Castro oil and have been happy as hell with it. I have used other oil that had alot of wax in it. There is no build up with Castro oil. I change my oil at 3000 miles. In my old 327 I used 20W50 in the summer and 10W40 in winter.

7. smartass

smartass TS Member

The place to start is with your owner's manual. If you want to keep your warranty in effect don't stretch out the oil changes longer than stated by the manufacturer no matter what oil you use.

Oil brands don't much matter as long as the oil meets the API specification called for by the manufacturer, i.e. SM. One SM oil is as good as another.

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Read the manual. most say every 10,000 miles or once a year depending on driving conditions. Some have an oil light. Mine came on at 10, 300 miles. Best bet is to use regular oil and change as per the manufacturers recommendation. Synthetic is useful but designed for extreme high or low temperatures. Really not much difference in regular driving and the price difference is a lot. If you want to have a little fun send the oil for analysis. It costs about 20 bucks and that way you will get the real answer on what is happening and how long you can go before oil changes. Look int he phone book for testing labs. I use a company called C.A T. testing company. they send you a little jar that you fill with oil and send back. You will receive a complete analysis of what is really going on with the oil mainly used by truckling companies but car guys use it also. Motordoc

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The only people who say change your oil every 3k miles are the oil companys and the oil change shops. Look in your owners manual and follow their change intervals. FWIW I've been using Kendall 10w30 changed every 5k for the past 9 years with no problems. YMMV.

Eric

10. Mac V

Mac V Guest

New cars don't need the break-in period they once did so you could switch to synthoil right away. Now, that being said, unless you tend to seriously overwork the engine in your car (in which case the transmission will probably collapse) or unless you intend to extend your oil change intervals to 12,000 miles or more (which will void most new car warranties if done during the warranty period) you will be losing money by switching to synthoil. Any latest-spec petro-oil will do you just fine.

Mike

11. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

If you want to keep your warranty current, use what's in the manual. While it is true most manufactures recommend oil changes more often than needed, in order to be within the guide lines, you need to do what they say until the warranty runs out. I have never used synthetic. Regular SAE API rated oil is in all my vechicles and the farm tractor I have(inhereted from my Dad) has had it in it since 1948. I have owned 30 Vechicles since 1965 and we have recorded over 2 million miles and never had an oil related engine failure. The newer oils are better and any API rated oil is up to the task at hand.

12. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I have a 2005 Toyota Avalon, I ask the dealer if I should use synthetic oil and they said if I did I had to follow the same recommended change schedule as for reg. oil or the warranty would not be honored. They said I could get the oil changed where ever I wanted but I had to use genuine toyota filters and I had to save my receipts if I wanted to retain my factory warranty. It's better to be safe than sorry so I buy their filters from the dealer and have it changed at my reg. service station and I use regular oil. glenn

13. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Above web site has lots of motor oil info.

14. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Nyytro, if you can't find information and statistics on synthetic oils, you're not trying. The stuff has been around for 50 years...the first hi-perf synthetics inrroduced as "All-Proof" in the early 60's. More development and testing done on synthoil in the past 25 years than on petro-oils.

Mike

15. JRD

JRD TS Member

Mobil 1 or Amsoil

16. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Nytto, stay with Castro and you will not be sorry. Quaker State is another one to stay away from. It to has alot of wax in it.

If you go by the manual that comes with the car it will benifit(sp) the car maker. I would rather change the oil at 3000 miles and run the engine for well over 100,000 then have to get rid of the car or put another engine in it under 100,000 miles. I have a 1990 wagon with 192,000 miles on it. I got he car with 55,000 miles. I have a VW 1990 Jetta. This is my beat around town car. I use to deliver pizza's and put 5,000 miles per month on the car. The odometer broke and I will have to say it has well over 200,000. With that car I had to change the oil at or around the 1st of the month and the 15th. I have a 1984 truck that has 110,000 miles on it and still running strong. If you run the oil change for 5,000 or 10,000 you will be sorry. Talk to you machanic or a number of them and see what they say. This is what I was told by my machanic who we have been with for 25 years and who we trust.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have used Valvoline Products for many years and have no complaints ... I would do like the others who said check your owners manual and see what specs it calls for and go from there at least until the warrantee runs out ... I never ventured into the synthetics because I change my oil often ... I ran Valvoline racing oil in my race car and it served me well, so for me the proof is in the pudding ... The race car oil got changed every 10 runs @ 1/4 mile each plus the 1/2 mile back to the pits and it held 10 quarts of oil plus the filter ... I used enough Valvoline oil that I eventually bought stock in the company ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Probably one of the best petro-oils currently on the market is the Motorcraft synthetic blends in 5W-20 and 5W-30. Developed for Ford and Honda, the petroleum base stock is the highest quality available and the wear protection second to none. The synthetic additive package is first class. Costs about twice the price of a run-of-the-mill petro-oil but less than half as much as Mobil 1 or the other full synthetic oils. Manufactured for Ford by Conoco-Philips. I've used Conoco oils in aircraft engines for years and use the Motorcraft Synth Blends in all my land vehicles.

Mike

19. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Horse Trader -- First of all its "Castrol", Castro is a cuban dictator!

I have a 2006 VW Jetta Diesel. Diesels put more soot in the oil than a gas engine, and VW recommends 10,000 mi. oil changes with Synthetic!

Nowadays, 3,000 mile oil changes are only for people who want the oil companys and oil change guys to make plenty of money. This was also confimed by a big oil test in Popular Mechanics awhile ago where even NYC taxi cabs driven much harder than the average car were tested.

My other 2000 car has recommendations in the manual for 7500 with regular oil!

20. porky

porky TS Member

A man that lives next door builds racing engines for cars, has a dynamo in his shop, etc. He has advised me that using synthetic oils in motors equates to a small horsepower boost for the engine and the engines generally run smoother. If your engine burns oil, it will not stop it. For diesel motors, it is a gift.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.