1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Electrical THANK YOU for CEILING FAN ADVICE!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by noknock1, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Just wanted to give everyone who gave me advice a big THANK YOU! I decided that since I already had the two separate switches that I would just rewire it the way it was... Well the fan crashed down because the 24 year old plastic fan box cracked and started a fire...

No just kidding...

I did replace the old plastic fan box with a metal one that screws between the joists.

Also since there were two switches and I have easy access to the attic I went ahead and pulled the 14/2 out and replaced with 14/3. Now all my colors match with the exception of the jumper if that is the right word from the hot to the fan switch. The one white is hot but I marked it with an extra piece of black tape and colored part of the wire black with a sharpie.

My ground is now truly a ground. I want to especially thank MN12, NUDS, and 635G for advice. I learned a new way thanks to MN12 to use my multi-meter and am especially glad I changed out that fan box. The plastic was very brittle!

I also went ahead and replaced the light switch since I had it out and now I really like the "positive snap" when I flip it on and off.

So here is a picture of the new wiring plan. I know to you professionals it doesn't look pretty but everything is tight and taped to overkill so nothing should come loose.

Thanks again, this is an awesome website with such a wealth of knowledge on just about anything a guy would want to know!

Scott

[​IMG]

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The hard part is stuffing all the wires and wire nuts back into the box and the last to go in is always the most difficult.

Eric

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

You are correct Sir!

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Just wanted to give everyone who gave me advice a big THANK YOU! I decided that since I already had the two separate switches that I would just rewire it the way it was... Well the fan crashed down because the 24 year old plastic fan box cracked and started a fire...

No just kidding...

I did replace the old plastic fan box with a metal one that screws between the joists.

Also since there were two switches and I have easy access to the attic I went ahead and pulled the 14/2 out and replaced with 14/3. Now all my colors match with the exception of the jumper if that is the right word from the hot to the fan switch. The one white is hot but I marked it with an extra piece of black tape and colored part of the wire black with a sharpie.

My ground is now truly a ground. I want to especially thank MN12, NUDS, and 635G for advice. I learned a new way thanks to MN12 to use my multi-meter and am especially glad I changed out that fan box. The plastic was very brittle!

I also went ahead and replaced the light switch since I had it out and now I really like the "positive snap" when I flip it on and off.

So here is a picture of the new wiring plan. I know to you professionals it doesn't look pretty but everything is tight and taped to overkill so nothing should come loose.

Thanks again, this is an awesome website with such a wealth of knowledge on just about anything a guy would want to know!

Scott

[​IMG]

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The hard part is stuffing all the wires and wire nuts back into the box and the last to go in is always the most difficult.

Eric

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

You are correct Sir!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.