1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Electric Razor - - - Advice on purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cementman, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cementman

cementman Member

Realizing that the old conventional razor will give me the best shave, looking to purchase an electric to come close. Seems there are two type, the foil and the rotary. Know nothing about either. Looking for the best electric razor that will do the job.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

For the past 2 + yrs. I have used a Braun (with trimmer). It works great as long as you follow the proper pre-shave procedure (basically clean and dry). Also be aware that it'll take 3 - 4 weeks for your whiskers to get trained to a electric type shaver.

The unit is easy to clean and as of this date, I've encountered no problems.

Uh, as far as brands go.....7-1/2's or 8's.

Curt

3. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Been using Norelcos since 1996. Got the model 8825XL that year, very good electric shaver. Would no longer hold a charge, so I got another Norelco, model 7810XL. Presently using this one. This is also a great shaver. I still use the 8825XL as a backup, using AC power.

You will not go wrong with any of the Norelco electric shavers.

Frank

4. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have used a Braun for a number of years now and no complaints.

As mentioned, if you have never used an electric razor it will take a bit for the face/whiskers to get used to the electric. Then if is great.

Allen

5. tobyshaw

tobyshaw TS Member

Used Remington for 50+ years. Latest is pure junk. Trashed it - wrote Remington & told them it was trash. Bought Phillips/Norelco (model 8240XL). Little expensive, $100+, but have had it for 2 yrs. Is great. Can clean it with water, even the rotary heads (by the way, you asked, get the rotary heads, much better shave). However, I clean it every few months. Just take apart & blow it with air compressor. No problem. Toby Shaw

6. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Norelco.

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

My first electric razor was a Norelco rotary in the '60s. Still have it somewhere. It had 2 heads and worked great for touch ups. I've always been a blade shaver-closer and smoother for me.

My son uses one of the new Braun shavers all the time and likes it a lot. I now use a triple head Norleco for touch ups. It's rechargeable and can be cleaned by running it under water. The Braun came with a cleaning station that uses some sort of alcohol based liquid to clean the head.

I guess preference is a personal thing. I've always thought the rotary heads were a bit gentler to my skin.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have tried electric razors over the years and none will cut my beard as close as I want and as fast as a razor

9. neofight

neofight TS Member

I've tried a number of them over the years and even though i shaved enough for my beard to adjust, i never felt like i got a good shave. I'm still using disposables.

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've use a Norelco 8140XL that can be rinsed under the faucet. In fact I just bought replacement blades for it. Good brand for the money and dependable to boot.

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

go with the Norelco 1250 rotary

click on the link above for some review info.

electric has come a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGG way

12. FIB

FIB Member

I used a Braun for 5 or 6 years and switched to Norelco. I have been very happy with Norelco. Just make sure and buy one made in Holland not China. The Chinese made Norelco's are junk IMO. Regards, Randy

13. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Norelco

Give your beard time to adjust to the elctric razor, it will take a week or so, then you will never go back to a blade.

I have been using a Norelco for over 35 years, I am on my third one only because they improved the performance at each change. I don't think you can kill one.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I tried an electric shaver for about a week and had a rash like you would never believe all over my face ... Been a blade and soap man all my life and will probably stay that way ... No burn, no rash, no problems ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

I was always like WPT and I still prefer the shave I get with a blade but I've been using a Norelco Arcitec and it's the first electric that I can tolerate.

One word of advice - you need to shave everyday with an electric (at least I do) or else it pulls like hell and you have to go over the same places so much that it burns you. The longer hairs get left behind. If you're the type to wait a few days between shaves, I would pass.

16. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

I think you will be quite taken with the Panasonic wet/dry. You can actually take it into the shower,with or without shaveing cream. Works like a charm. Glenn

17. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Switched back to a blade, but I used several different Norelco tripleheaders over the years and thought they were great, although the shadow shows up earlier than 5 o'clock. The rechargeable ones are a great convenience.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.