1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Electric Dryer Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cementman, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cementman

cementman Member

Have a problem with the drum turning on my dryer. Turning it on the drum will not spin but if I move the drum back and forth can get it going. My guess it could be the belt or the idlers. Any opinions?

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

it sounds like you are on the right path

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

What brand is it? Kenmores used to have an idler that the bearing would get sticky on it and cause that, it's on the bottom of the machine and if you take it out clean and oil it usually it would work

But take a picture of it before you take it apart, because it is sometimes hard to remember how the belt is threaded through it, at least it is to me, memory isn't what it used to be LOL

4. cementman

cementman Member

If it helps the dryer is a Maytag.

5. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

I have had a Maytag dryer for many years, definitely a good machine. I have had mine apart 2-3 times and put a new heater coil in it amd when I did, I also had to replace what Maytag called "glides" They are a hard plastic (nylon) contact point where the drum has to contact the front of the dryer. Every time I had it apart I replaced the glides. Some were worn pretty badly, others were not. Look where the drum contacts the front of the dryer, and I believe you can find repair manuals somewhere on line too. Good Luck!

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Sounds like the start windings on the motor are going bad.

Wayne

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Could be the start windings or a start relay or the centrifugal switch in the motor

I didn't read what you posted right the first time

It could be as simple as a piece of dirt in the contacts of the centrifugal switch in the motor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.