1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Echo chainsaw

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fcd67, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fcd67

fcd67 Member

Anyone out there use an Echo chainsaw? I have only used Stihl and have been having problems with my 046 Magnum and am considering an Echo.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sean

2. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Sean - I only use Stihl but I think Echo is a great saw too. What kind of problems are you having?

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have an Echo 530 which is a medium sized saw with a 24" bar. I have used this saw for about 6 years and have mixed opinions about it. On the plus side, it starts on the first or second pull even when cold or after sitting in the shed for several months. On the minus side, I think it lacks the power required for the bar length. You really notice this when you are running a good sharp chain in larger diameter green wood, real easy to bog down. One of my buddies runs a similar sized Stihl and never seems to run out of power and it seems like his saw is still cutting good when mine needs to be sharpened.

I think I got my money's worth out the Echo but next time I buy a saw it probably won't be an Echo.

4. porky

porky TS Member

An Echo will not replace a Stihl. Either stay with a Stihl or Husqvarna. Since you have a Stihl, I would recommend you stay with Stihl because you have the experience with them . An 046 Magnum is the start of the large chainsaws. I have 3 Sthils. 2 of the 036's, an 046 magnum, 2 McCulloch, a large and smaller and a pioneer(Poulan). I like the 036's best. The 046 magnum is a monster that chews through everything and I got it because of the 25 inch bar. I cut a lot of wood and wouldn't be without the smaller saws because of the limbing and trimming. Echo is a good saw if you cut about a face cord a year. More than that and it won't last to long.

5. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Just a guess but I bet the only problem you got with the Stihl is old gas or maybe a spark plug.

Steve

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

If the gas you have in the tank of the saw has been there for a month or more and if it was the 10% ethanol (which sometimes is even higher percentage) you may have a plugged up fuel passage(s) in the saw. The E-10 and higher stuff has built up a reputation of forming hard small crystals in the gas (from water absorption possibly?) and causing problems.

Jonsored has come out with a special blend of pre-mixed and stabilized fuel just because of the problem. I use the e-10 (simply because there is absolutely no pure gas on sale anywhere around me) for cutting but then will run the saw dry and partially fill with the special mix and run it for about five minutes (high spped and idle both mixed) to flush out the E-gas.

I learned of this problem from a trap shooter who makes his living selling and repairing small power equipment. My lesson only cost $45 to get a saw, screwed up by this crap gas, repaired.

7. fcd67

fcd67 Member

I ended up running it lean for a little bit and had piston failure.
    Turned out some stuff was in the carb. Replaced the piston... The last time I fixed it I took it to a local shop to adjust everything. Did not have the power it used to have and lasted about a year. I cut maybe 10-15 cords with it. It was getting hard to start the last week or so. The other day I couldn't start it and noticed it doesn't seem to have any compression. I am now thinking about a smaller Jonsered may be around 52cc.

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I bought my first echo tool (a weedeater) 12-13 years ago.. it runs today as good as it did the day I bought it, since then I have bought 2 backpack blowers one hand held, 3 more echo weedeaters, 2 echo tillers...man those things really tear up the ground, a 660 echo chainsaw with a 16 inch bar, had it 8 years.. starts everytime.. and I have the biggest saw they make the 8000 it has a 32 and 48 inch bar.. I have a husky 66 chainsaw and had a stihl I think it was a 84 magnum..I sold it.. you cannot beat echo tools... I even have a electric echo chainsaw..lol...

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Here's my $.02,

Stick with the Stihl unless you have a Echo dealer thats better then your Stihl dealer. Husky's are well made also.

Buy a "Pro" model, stay away from the run of the mill one's. If your cutting that many cords of wood, bigger is better!

My Stihl 76 is still cutting firewood and running strong. Purchased it in 1982, no longer made :( Cut down thousands of tree's and at least 8 cord of firewood each year.

Go up at least one if not two, more saw sizes, use premium gas, and Synthic oil mix(100 to 1) Amsoil makes it. The Pro saw have better air filter systems and you can Buy better ones then factory through most dealers.

As my handle imply'es, Been there Done that!

Good luck

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I love the smaller Echo saws (14" bar or smaller). These are great trim saws, but the bigger ones lack raw power of a Stihl. My 036 with a 24" bar and a good sharp chain is a cutting machine. It'll cover you in shavings no time flat.

I have an old blue Homelight XL that also cuts up a storm. It was my grandfathers, and I couldn't tell you when he bought it new. I found the parts to freshen up the engine a few years ago just so that it would be in running order for some time to come.

ss

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I hired a tree service to take a big tree down that was hanging over the house. I just wanted them to get it on the ground as I could cut it up with my saws. To my surprise they were using Echos. I thought for sure since they were "pros" they would be using Stihls.

While they were taking the tree down I was cutting it into firwood size with my Stihl. I asked the guy why he wasn't using Stihls. He said they were good saws but he had a lot better luck with the Echos.

I love my Stihl once I get it running, but the damn thing is hard to start most of the time. Get it started and leave it running.

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Stihl is the way to go and then Husky. Git-er-done is right, the Echo will not replace the Stihl. Commercial loggers swear by them.

13. porky

porky TS Member

I use an additive to my high octane fuel. It's called Sea Foam and it has been around for years. I use it in my truck, my car, my motorcycle and my Kubota tractor as well as my John Deere lawnmower and Troy built tiller. Sea Foam not only removes the water, it make the motors run really smooth and it seems to increase the motor power somewhat. If you love your motor operated equipment, you'll get some additive to help out the crappy fuel we have today.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I've had good luck with Stihls, but baby them. I have consumer type Stihls, a 192 little limbing saw and a 59 cc firewood cutter..a 310. Neither is commercial grade...although having a fondness for nice equipment, I'd love to own a Stihl 200, a little jewel of a saw..but $600.0 for a limbing saw is for the pros...both Stihl and Husky make consumer and pro series of saws.

I believe two things: Today's saws have smog controls, so to speak, carbs that lack adjustment for high speed that is effective...so one can seize something. Also, the pro saws, which cost a whole bunch more, run higher rpms and have greater quality and power per pound. The pro saw can also be rebuilt in most cases, the consumer saws, like mine, cannot be in a practical sense. (I believe, if memory serves me, the consumer saws, which serve me well, are split vertically in the case, not horizontally...)

I just found a very fresh and lightly used McCullough "Eager Beaver" 60cc saw in a secondary vacation home that we just purchased. It had great compression, was cosmetically dirty and neglected, so I took it home, and that moldy looking saw fired right up. I got it tuned and sharpened and had the oiler cleaned and, of course, I cleaned up the outside of the saw, and it screams. I believe that Mac saw, based upon the crackle of the exhaust and its willingness to rev., is likely one of the last quality MAC saws made..I guess it is made in the early 80's, all metal, and has a chainbrake, but no auto oiler. It's quality and intent is obvious compared to the Stihls I own, but home owner is home owner, pro is pro.

Oh, I'm long-winded, sorry, I do suggest that you also consult with Bailey's logging outlet...they have all kinds of beautiful stuff. Husky or Stihl: IMO: it all depends on how "fast" you wish to go, a pro saw or a consumer saw and how much power you need and weight you are willing to put up with. One tree guy I spoke to owns both brands depending upon intent weighing power to the weight ratio to the cost.

Re. Echo: Nice stuff, but a friend had an Echo trimmer that kept seizing on him until he put on an older and tunable (Non-Calif. smog certified) Walbro carb. Then all is sweet...

15. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Ditto to most everyone above.

I have numerous Echo products and love them all; trimmer, edger, blower are all fantastic. I have a 14" Echo chainsaw perfect for what I use it for.

If you want big power, I would go Stihl, my father in-law has several brands of saws and I feel the Stihl is the best. We cut wood for four family's so they get used pretty hard.

SW

16. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

No matter what saw you own, never, ever use anything but non-ethanol fuel! The carb and plug will last forever, you can leave it in the gas tank without having to use Stabil, and you get much more power!

I own a Echo 330T with a 12" bar that I bought last fall for trimming. Unfortunately, I'm not too happy with it. It ate a spark plug the first 30 minutes of use, starts hard and seems to be low on power. The light weight is handy, though. It's under warranty, though, so I guess it will go in for service this spring.

Jonsered makes a good saw (basically a Husky, they're made in the same mfg facilities).

I do believe Stihls are somewhat overpriced; the extra cost is for service and a large dealer network.

17. FIB

FIB Member

My relatives in AR are in the timber business and all they use are Stihls, Huskys, and Jonsered's. They use them 5 days a week. I find that quit an endorsement!

18. logndog

logndog TS Member

I own am logging company and have cut millions of board feet of hardwood timber with a Stihl 046 and the later 460 all with 24" bars. In addition to this I used to work for Stihl and one of my duties was being the completive expert. I have torn down every brand of chainsaw to document the differences in respect to Stihl. I can tell you that no one is close to Stihl. There tolerances alone are quite impressive. As far as your saw goes, you have one of the best chain saws ever made in my opinion. Most of my saws get run over by a skidder or dozer long before they wear out. Stihl has pioneered every major improvement in saws since Peter Stihl invented the chainsaw in1906. The other companies have just followed them by incorporating these features into there saws when the patents ran out. This can seen here recently with the side access chain tensioner. Husky has recently started putting this feature on there saws as the patent has run out. I make my livelihood with a chain saw and there is nothing I would use other than a Stihl!
    Earnie Ross

19. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

run forest run from that echo get a stihl or huskverna

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Logndog...curious, did not McCullough also advance the state of two stroke and chainsaw technology? Curious minds again...I remember that the MAC was the way to go way back when for powering a Go-Kart; they made serious two stroke engines years ago. Again, it is not a disagreement talking here, but a "curious mind"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.