1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Earning a Living with a Gun O/T 1/16/08

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Earl4140, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

Aug 8, 2007
    FWIW "Feds paid notorious hit man $20K upon his release from prison
    The federal government gave a hit man $20,000 to "help him start a new life" after he admitted murdering 20 people and spent 12 years in prison, The Boston Globe says.

John Martorano, 67, admitted the murders when he agreed to cooperate with a federal probe into links between FBI agents and James "Whitey" Bulger, a gang leader who is one of the FBI's most wanted fugitives.

In addition to the post-release payment, the Globe says federal taxpayers put thousands into the former hit man's account at the prison commissary.

"It's not unusual for an individual like Martorano, who was in the witness security program while incarcerated and who opted not to accept placement as a civilian, to receive a small sum of money to assist him in starting his life again," Assistant U.S. Attorney Fred M. Wyshak Jr. tells the paper.

But James Duggan, a lawyer for the relatives of one of Martorano's victims, says the payments work out so that "he gets $1,000 a head." (Here's a list with more info about 18 of the people he murdered.)

"It just goes to prove: If you're going to commit a crime, commit a huge crime, because that's what pays the best," Duggan tells the Globe.

Martorano spoke recently with Steve Kroft of 60 Minutes. Here's an excerpt from the interview:

Kroft: Did you keep count of how many people you killed?
    Martorano: Never, never, no. Until in the end where I never realized it was that many.
    Kroft: How many?
    Martorano: A lot. Too many.
    Kroft: Do you have a number?
    Martorano: I confessed to 20 in court.
    Kroft: Sure you remembered them all?
    Martorano: I hope so". Earl4140
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.