1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T--e-mail address for Winchester?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sgt. Mike, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Does anyone have an e-mail address for the Winchester Company. I purchased a case of 7mm STW and few of the casings had flaws. Major flaws making them unsafe to shoot. Their web site says the contact us has been changed but does not offer any help. Is it possible FAQ's are supposed to answer ALL questions? Thanks in advance. Michael

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I don't think I'd use email; it's too easy to ignore.

This info comes off the "Winchester Repeating Arms" web site:

"Product Information:

If your question hasn't been answered in the Frequently Asked Questions and it is a question about manuals, catalogs, & products please call our Consumer Department directly at: 800.333.3288 or 801.876.2711 & for Parts & Service call: 800.322.4626

Good luck!

Morgan

3. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Thank you very much for the information. Michael

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you, Michael. Last fall, my son bought some new unprimed W-W 7mm STW brass. Several months later, we got around to neck sizing and trimming it and uniforming the primer pockets. The case necks were .030" under the trim-to length out of the bag and the mouths were cut at an angle. To trim them square would leave them no less than .045" shorter than the trim-to length. As you know, that cartridge doesn't have an abundance of case neck as it is.

I sent Winchester an email and received a letter via the USPS in return that stated that a trim-to length is simply a point somewhere between a cases' minimum and maximum lengths and that I should return the brass for inspection. I did that and received more brass in exchange for it but it was exactly the same! One would think that they would inspect the exchange product so they wouldn't ship new stuff with the same flaws.

So I sent another email to which I received another snail-mailed reply (their email must only work one way) telling me to return the brass for a refund. It also stated that Winchester no longer manufactures loaded ammo or brass for the 7mm STW cartridge. I eventually received a check for $32.00.

Last winter, I bought a .243 for my daughter. I always buy one box of factory ammo to use for sighting-in and for brass for subsequent load development when I buy a rifle. The place where I bought the .243 had only W-W ammo for it so I bought 100 rounds of W-W brass. It was all w-a-y longer - .060" is not an exaggeration - than the maximum case length and the primer pockets were so shallow that it took my RCBS power case trimmer and power case conditioning station all but three hours to get the cases in the condition they should have been out of the bag.

I'm guessing that Winchester has elected to sell their brass that doesn't meet standards to handloaders and really doesn't care what we think about it.

Ed

5. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I experienced the same thing with case length. I've purchased my last Winchester casings. Their quality control does not exist and their customer service is worse. Michael

6. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I sent some casings to Winchester for examination. Approximately 80%+ of the STW are short and 20% of the 7mm Remington Magnum are short. Totally we are talking 1000 casings. I don't know how much below the "trim to length" a person can safely go. Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.