1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T dumb ? will a goose sink?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I shot a Goose yesterday about 1/2 before dark, It hit about 30 yards out in the water. I tried till dark to retreive this bird with a fishing rod and treble hooks which usually works. because the lake is very deep and you can't wade out in it. It was an unusual looking goose with blue on it and a solid black neck and head but was with a flock of Canadas. So I went back this morning just to pull it out of the water and get a good look at it. I figured the current had moved it to where I could either get to it or I put on a different set of hooks on my rod hoping in daylight I could get it done but It was gone. I know it did'nt leave on it's own I tried for 30 min. To get it in last night. Will they sink in 12 hours? I really need a good dog. I station myself before the lake and get them coming in and this is the first one I've lost this year.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Maybe a racoon family had it for dinner. HMB

3. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

It's not that they sink, but sometimes when you hit a goose or duck when they hit the water they go under and grab onto weeds or grass and won't let go. I've seen it a couple times. Hard to explain why it happens but it does. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB had the most logical explanation. Lots of things that are around at night will eat a goose. Raccoons, turtles, coyotes and in the South, alligators will not pass up a goose.

Pat Ireland

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I lost a few Black ducks that way . Actually saw them swimming under the boat and as you say , must have grabbed onto some branches until it died . Never came up !!!

6. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Don't know where you're located, but check out this website.

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

you all had failled to mention maybe when you looked in its direction it DUCKED and you didnt see it......Sorry, had to say it!

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When I was hunting on the bay we had a flock of geese come in. We got with the 3 of us 5 geese. One that I tried to get out of the water was a pain in the a$$. You could only see its head and about 6 inches of his neck. The rest of the goose was under the water. I tried to shoot the head and its a tough target. I didn't get the goose and it was just gone. I was told by the others that if you just wound a goose it will do that. If you wound a goose by breaking its wing it will not be able to go under water. Were it went none of us know.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

BUSH done it
    thats the problem with steel shot someone drops their cell phone and it has a little magnet the goose just got pulled to it
    next time wait till they land and run them down with a truck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.