1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Dumb Question of the Day

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by EXFDX, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

What are the ways I can ship a firearm from me to another person? Does it have to involve an FLL if it is a sale? I tried to search for other threads and I must not be using the right search criteria. Sorry…I know this has been answered before, but thanks for sharing the straight dope one more time.

Steve Oehmen

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Generally, you must ship all long arms to an FFL Dealer for transfer to another person. Every state has it own transfer laws, but if you have to use a shipper then use must use an FFL Dealer for the transfer. Handguns must go FROM dealer TO dealer. HTH AndyH

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Steve, if you are shipping intrastate, unless there are state laws to the contrary, you can ship a rifle or shotgun to another individual or dealer.

You can ship any firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol) back to the manufacturer for repair. It does not have to be shipped by an FFL dealer. I used to own a T/C Contender, and when it needed repair, they advised me to ship directly to them.

Best,
    Dennis

4. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Thanks, guys, but this probably WOULD be an interstate deal. So it would go from dealer to dealer, then to buyer? Someone would pay the guys in between and they would handle the actual shipping, right?

Thanks,

Steve

5. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

But if it's just person to person? No dealers…? Just two private individuals.

Sorry to keep asking but I'd like to do it without drawing the attention of the BATFE.

Steve

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Steve, if it's shipped across state lines, the firearm MUST be shipped to an FFL dealer. It does not have to be shipped FROM an FFL dealer, only TO. The FFL dealer will then fill out the 4473 form, and handle the transfer.

Best,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.