1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Drinking Alcohol after Shooting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sglfr45, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I was at work today, and was talking to a coworker about trapshooting. He asked, what do you do at night when done shooting? I told him we ate well and drank great. He said, "drink?" I said, "yes, we have a cold beer and then go out to eat and have some more with dinner." He said, "Well if you have more than two, you have a problem." He also said, "you shouldn't drink while in competeting the next day. One beer or glass of wine is in your system." I guess my question is when do you consider it a problem? And, is a couple of beers in your system 12 hours later? He is a fitness fanatic, and I thought he was overdoing it on this one. Matt

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Changing what you normally do will make it difficult to perform at a high level. HMB

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'll suggest there are two types that would react as it seems your friend did. One is the person who's been there and done it (drinking in excess) and is now a born again expert. The second could just as well be the fitness fanatic you state and has a rigid belief in only consuming that which could never harm his physical being. I do believe dealing with any amount of liquor that might find you defending yourself in court when driving just might not be a good thing for being sharp the next morning. But I've certainly seen examples that would toss that idea in the dumpster too. You likely know yourself if you are or are not sharp the next morning and whether you've consumed enough to call it "a problem" in most any manner I'd wager....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The body "metabolizes" alcohol (in a male) at the rate of about .015 BAC/hour (women are slower, about .010/hour). That means that a man with a high BAC of, say .15% (twice the legal driving limit in most states), would have no alcohol in their system about 10 hours later.

But alcohol consumption at any level will cause some dehydration and an accompanying electrolyte imbalance in the body. Both these conditions will impair shooting performance to some degree. How quickly the body recovers from them will depend on how well it's treated during the period after drinking. Most people go to bed which does nothing to address the dehydration or its effects. They will exist and be a factor the next morning to the extent the amount of alcohol consumed the night before dictates and the body's recover from their effects will only begin then.

Morgan

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Your friend is full of crap. A reasonably healthy body dissapates 1 beer per hour or a "normal" strength mixed drink! Tom Rhoads

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

A little more (sorry); Going to bed with a bit of a toot on, I'm only talking about when still feeling the affect of 3 beers say, will certainly affect how well you sleep. This too will have an affect on your physical condition in the morning. The other end of the spectrum, of course, is the fellow that goes to bed well soused, doesn't sleep well, crawls out early enough, hogs down the plate of carbs, and soaks up as much coffee he can get to certainly can not possibly have leveled out the dehydration and electrolyte concerns. It's a rare fellow that can deal with that and walk off with the HOA trophy too.....Bob Dodd

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I don't drink but I certainly won't be worried shooting next to someone who had just a couple the night before. OTOH if someone got soused the night before I might take notice. It's like working with someone when you have dangerous machinery who comes in the next day just wreeking of booze. It could be dangerous. Most of us are older and wiser and hopefully know WHEN NOT touch agun of any kind. Of course this applies to drugs too.

8. chessney

chessney TS Member

Our club is a Bar with a trap field out there.Guy's say they shoot better with a few in them...I for one don't touch the stuff if I'm shooting,golfing,or anything that takes focus...Ziggy

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

this sounds just like our govt trying to run our lives.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I would never suggest anyone should drink. I will tell on myself though. A little over thirty years ago I drank four to five cases of beer a week, used everything for an opportunity to have a beer. I was a serious fisherman and bowler. I did well with the bass fishing tournaments and almost got out of the Air Force to pursue a career in fishing but didn't. I loved bowling and carried a 215 to 220 average for several years all while under the influence consuming my usual 12 pack. I shot pool too but usually tried to stay pretty sober as you could lose money fast. I was meticulous about being at work on time and ready to do whatever. It will amaze you at what an alcoholic can do when they put their mind to it. I've said all of that to say this. A person that doesn't normally drink can be seriously affected by two drinks. That may be the case with your coworker. Jackie B.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Maybe the ATA should require alcahol blood testing before every event. Sheeese

Either have one or don't.

12. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Last August at the Grand/Sparta Il. in the 105 Degree heat. Liquids were important. Do not recommend beer but!!! maybe not in volume.
    Should have at least one after guns are put away.
    The only time I personally drink a beer. Terrible what age does for you.

Joe Woods/Ontario

13. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Those that see alcoholics everywhere usually had a parent, spouse, or significant other with a serious problem. The "more than two and you have a problem" rule only applies if that's what it takes to get you started back up again in the morning. :)

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Some of those wealthy English shooters will hoist pints into the wee hours and still post top clays or flyer scores the following morning. It's all in the "conditioning" lads.

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Do you think Olympic caliber shooters would go out drinking during a tournament (or probably even when their just training)? I seriously doubt it. I've given up caffeine in my quest for better shooting (still drink about a half a 12 pack a day of soda, but its all caffeine free), and i've never been a drinker as far as alcohol goes. I've also started to regulate my diet a little better while i'm shooting tournaments, am aware of my hydration requirements, and regulate my sleep patterns a little better during shooting season. Some are just born good/lucky enough that they can go out to the field with a horrible hangover and still run 100, go back to their car after the event and sleep the rest of it off, but for every one guy like that, theres 10 guys like me who have to work their butt off for every target they can get; they only get good by sheer stubbornness. I guess it all boils down to what you want your career in the sport to become. If your happy busting a few clays, winning something a couple times a year, and hanging out late w/ your buddies, more power to you. However, if you aspire to be one of the best, sacrifices have to be made.

16. flylta

flylta TS Member

What we used to sa with flying was:

No smoking within 8 hours of flying, no drinking within 50 feet of the aircraft

complete 180 of the rules but it was funny to watch people agree and then realize what you said.

sounds like your friend has either had an alcohol problem or been hurt by someone who did. Be resonable and drink responsibly and you are fine.

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Why wait until after shooting.....seems a horrible way to waste a perfectly good day!!

Beer...it's not just for breakfast anymore!!

Curt

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Based on my shooting scores, lately. A few drinks afterwords is a requirement.

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Having a few beers after shooting may not be the health wise thing to do but it is a part of the activity that I enjoy. Most all the shooters that I know view the shooting as a recreational pastime that includes socializing. Very few purists or people that can't enjoy life. It's your life so enjoy it. Do you want to have a good time while you can or do want to be real serious about something that doesn't really matter to most folks? I don't think anyone will give a hoot about your trapshooting prowess when your in the ground but it would be nice if they remembered you as a person they enjoyed being around.

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Do you think Babe Ruth ever had a cold one after the game?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.