1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Drag Racing UPDATES

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Diesel Smoke, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Alrighty you all, I just thought I'd let you all know what's goin on with the race truck. I've been doing a lot of thinking, and some tinkering in the garage, and after 2 small block build-ups for other cars, I decided something, there are a BUNCH of small block chevys in alot of vehicles, and also a million S-10/350 conversions.

So after some careful thought, and working on a Buick Grand National, the idea has come to me to build a Chevy 4.3L V6 that is turbocharged, I can custom make the header that the charger will mount on, and make the down-pipe, I know parts for the 4.3 are more expensive, but it will be something different. I'm thinking about painting it a variation of the Syclone s-10 but calling it the F-5. What do you all think?

Smokey

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Why not go by your namesake and do a diesel? A friend of mine, he actually built my 327, stopped by 2 nights ago with his 2wd reg. cab 'o4 Dodge. He's making 700hp and 1300ft/lbs. @ 3000rpm with a Cummins. Now that's cool!

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

We ran the V6 in the NASCAR Goodys Dash series. If you want to buy some parts I have a builder who has a good many speed parts to make one sing, Jake

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Why don't you just buy my 454SS and start out with a real truck with a real Big Block

5. CalvinMD

Ok so I could never get 30 mpg but damn, making my back tires go up in smoke is so cool

6. yenko

yenko TS Member

they were called typhoons.ALSO called s10 cyclones.remember there is no substitute for cubic inch!!

7. Mapper

Mapper Member

You might try Brayton in Coldwater, Michigan. They built the 3.8 Buicks for Indy that delivered 900 HP. Maybe they have a junk pile or something.

8. white rattler

white rattler Member

Some how the word truck and drag racing just do not go together. Trevor Dawe.

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Gale Banks has a Chevy S10 Duramax that runs 7.7 180 MPH in the 1/4 It's really a tubed frame drag only truck.

10. CalvinMD

Yeah,,...I agree ..trucks have no business on a dragstrip

11. white rattler

white rattler Member

NHRA had a S10 truck class for a few years but it did not go anywhere. Good speed but it just did not do it for the fans. Trevor Dawe.

12. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

To answer some questions, The reason I'm not building a diesel right now is because of the cost, a 7,000 pound truck can only go so fast. I can buy a decent looking/running S-10 around here for $400-$500. To build a diesel I'd be looking at $15k+ to start. The diesel I do drive daily is no where near set up for racing, (Single cab, Dually, 4x4, 5spd).

As for the SS454 truck question, there are none around here. That and I'm not really a big block fan. The only thing I can say about trucks not having any business on the track is, why not? Trucks can be fast too, If I recall correctly there was one year a pick-up truck was the fastest American production vehicle, a Dodge Lil Red express?

I'm goin for a kind of sleeper truck here, my neck of the woods is infested with the hatchback Civics with fart cans on them, and I want a truck that doesn't sound like it's packing a huge punch.

Like I said, I'm just wanting to do something different. I'm not out to break any speed records. Just on a side note to blizzard, That truck has to be a sweet ride, I have a cousin with an 05 cummins, single cab 4x4 6 speed, he runs 12's with is, and the last dyno sheet I saw of his was 847hp and 1573 ft/lbs.

Smokey

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

To all that think trucks aren't fast, John Allem SR. has a chevy truck with a 502 big block in it built by Harlin Gustofson HG assoc. (he builds NASCAR motors) that will run in the 10's. If John ever offers to take you for a ride in it don't go. He thinks he is 16 years old again when he gets in it. It's a street truck for daily driving if he desires.

14. CalvinMD

God loves Big Blocks too

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Hey Trevor, are you shooting in Edmonton this coming weekend? I'm going to be there for Saturday's events with ny son.

Ron

16. white rattler

white rattler Member

Ron, Yes I am going up Fri. morning to shoot the doubles. I am planning to shoot the whole weekend, but it is to rain so who knows what will happen. Trevor

17. white rattler

white rattler Member

Royce, you are right. Watching the throttle stop cars is just a pain in the ass. They leave hard then fall on they face then go again. What I meant about the trucks is that it was set up for the Chev boys. There was nothing in it nor could the Fords or Dodges run with or beat the S10s. Trevor

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I used to love drag racing but just drive my wifes car when I get the urge. It's a Hyundai Azera and is stock and turns 98 in the quarter with a top end of 155. I hope to build me a Ranger P/U with a cammed up 302. I don't know when I'll start but it's on my to do list. Jackie B.

19. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Wow, It's been a while since I've posted to this, but here it goes. I almost bought an S10 last week then I had a better offer come by me. It's not a truck and not a chevy, Here's a hint, It has the nickname Ace already. What is it?

[​IMG]

20. jburger

jburger TS Member

A pontiac Ventura!! A guy I used to race with had one kinda looks like that am I right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rear spring urethane bushings nash metropolitan