1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Does your dog have Fleas?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a minature Datsun and I've tried everything I can think of to keep fleas off of him. So far, nothing works. I have tried Frontline, Frontline Plus and many other supposably treatments. I bathe him at least weekly and normally use Sergeants flea shampoo as it helps to control doggy smell and supposed to help with the fleas. Any suggestions appreciated. I do spray inside my home and have had the whole yard commercially sprayed. Thanks Jackie B.

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Jackie, I'm confused (happens all the time), but I'm not sure if you should change the oil or give it a bath. Sorry---couldn't help it. Steve

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The flea collar has the same ingredients as the Shell No-pest strip.

The strip is about 3 times as much material for 1/3 the price.

I put a chunk of it on my dog's collar with a zip tie.

NO more fleas.

HM

4. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

AATrap, no need to be sorry. You shuold have asked how many miles on the clock. Besides this sounds like a question for Tron.

Jack: What does the Vet say?

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The Vet is the one who said to get Frontline Plus and my troubles would be over. I haven't been back since I started Helow(my datsun) on it.

HM. What is a Shell no pest strip?

Steve, I do have a antique 4x4 Datsun which I just yesterday changed the oil in. LOL Jackie B.

6. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Jackie don't laugh this is no joke.
    Rub your dog down with (GARLIC) powder.This works.

Bocephas

7. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

OK,Jackie, that explains it. You're forgiven. LOL Especially since that Dachshund is also a 4x4. Steve

8. gotbass

gotbass Member

A miniature Nissan? It would be sad if it weren't so funny.

9. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Type Advantage into your browser. Living in a rural area our pets used to get fleas and ticks constantly. Have been using advantage for the last 4 years with no fleas. We only have a cat now and the Advantage Multi supposedly stops fleas, heartworm, mites and worms. I copied following from the Advantage website. HarryC

Advantage is a once a month topical flea treatment for dogs and puppies 7 weeks or older and cats and kittens 8 weeks or older. Advantage stops fleas from biting in 3-5 minutes and kills 98-100% of the fleas on dogs and cats within 12 hours of application. Advantage kills re-infesting fleas within 2 hours and lasts up to 1 month. Kills fleas before they lay eggs. One treatment prevents further infestation for at least 4 weeks. Keeps on working after swimming or bathing.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

the flea collars and also the pest strips hav DDVP, dichlorvos impregnated in a plastic strip.

They took them off the market here after a baby ingested one and died, I believe.

It's also called Vapona.

You may be able to find them at Lowes or Home depot under another name.

Hint: read the ingredients listed on the flea collar package, and then on the pest strip.

Same stuff.

Google will tell you more.

HM

11. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

You must treat the home twice 10 to 14 days apart. As a former Orkin employee (note my sign-on)I have done some homes that were soooo infested that I had to go back to shop and change cloths to make sure that I did not take them to my next account or home. Read the last paragraph. Vacume before treatment and often during the 2 weeks of treatment

Essential Facts About Fleas
    Adult fleas (the biting stage seen by pet owners) spend most of their time on the animal, not in the carpet. This is why treatment of the pet in conjunction with the pet's environment is an essential step in ridding a home of fleas.

Adult fleas lay all of their eggs (up to 50 per day) on the pet. However, the eggs soon fall off the animal into carpeting, beneath the cushions of furniture, and wherever else the pet rests, sleeps or spends most of its time. This is where homeowners should focus control measures.

After hatching, flea eggs develop into tiny, worm-like larvae. Larvae remain hidden deep in carpet fibers, beneath furniture cushions and in other protected areas. The larvae feed mainly on adult flea feces (dried blood) which accumulates, along with the eggs, in pet resting and activity areas.

Before becoming adult fleas, the larvae transform into pupae within a silk-like cocoon. Pupae remain inside the cocoon for 2 to 4 weeks, sometimes longer. The cocoon is resistant to insecticides and this is why some adult fleas are seen for an extended period, even after the home and pet are treated.

Vacuum! -- vacuuming removes many of the eggs, larvae and pupae developing within the home. Vacuuming also stimulates pre-adult fleas to emerge sooner from their insecticide-resistant cocoons, thus hastening their contact with insecticide residues in the carpet. By raising the nap of the carpet, vacuuming improves the insecticide's penetration down to the base of the carpet fibers where the developing fleas live. Vacuum thoroughly, especially in areas where pets rest or sleep. Don't forget to vacuum along edges of rooms and beneath furniture, cushions, beds, and throw rugs. After vacuuming, seal the vacuum bag in a garbage bag and discard it in an outdoor trash container.

12. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Are we talking about a truck or a dog???

It's been said: if your dachshund is flea infested and lives indoors, the fleas are in the house in the environment the dog lives in. If you want to find out how many you really have, make a simple flea trap and leave it in a room overnight. Remove the shade from a small table lamp and install a 25W bulb. Place the lamp on the floor horizontally on top of a couple books so the bulb is about 6-8 inches above the rug. Place a shallow pan or dish (like a dinner plate) under the bulb and fill it with a soapy water solution. The fleas in ther carpet are attracted to the heat of the bulb, jump for the bulb and land in the water and drown. Count them in the morning.

Treat the house to kill the eggs and larva. Companies that sell/install carpet usually sell the most effective products for that.

Morgan

13. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

several years ago was flea infested. found that after cleaning carpet used boric acid (read borax) on the carpet couches and other places, use a broom and sweep the carpet and rub nap thouroughly to get the borax down to where the larvae live. the borax is non toxic to your pets and children. the idea is that the crystals of borax cut the skin of the larvae and they die. also use a spreader and dust the area around your home and places where your stays. diatamous (sp) works the same way but is more expensive. this treatment will last until you shampoo your carpet and furniture. got this from pet meds off the net. and it really works. give it time (about a month) for the flea life cycle to complete.

best

bob

ps. the boric acid mixed with mint jelly and put in a jar lid in a cabinet or any where they are, will also control sugar ants.

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Using any of the modern flea killers such as Frontline Plus, it is still going to take several months to completely get rid of the fleas. You have to destroy the reproduction cycle of the fleas you already have, and that takes time. Keep using the Frontline and in 2 to 3 months you should see a major reduction or total elimination of fleas on your dog. You aren't going to do any better than Frontline but quit looking for instant total cessation of your problem 'cause it aint gonna happen that way.

16. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

<html>
    <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
    http-equiv="content-type">
    <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
    Wireguy told you the way it is. And Frontline Plus is as good as
    it gets.<br>
    I know there are others on TS that are as big of dog lovers as Wireguy
    and me, but there are non any BIGGER than us. Shucks, I was a dog
    in my former life, according to my wife I STILL AM!!<br>
    <br>
    Also pay attention TO the very good advice above on treating your
    home. I have been there and done that, and it took numerous
    applications of "homeowner foggers" (I mean the GOOD stuff-
    < Raid Flea
    Fogger
    >) over a period of 2 to 3 months to clear up the
    mess. If you use the good foggers, take cushions from
    chairs/sofas, tip the furniture up so that the "fog" can drift under
    them. Remove/cover pet food/water bowls. Same for human
    dishes/glasses/toothbrushes, etc. I used HEAVY concentrations of
    these foggers. I mean like 5 times more than recommended on the can (if
    one is good two is better! Right? I mean if you could, wouldn't
    you use an 1 1/2 OZ of 8's? SEE IMPORTANT NOTE;<br>
    <br>
    NOTE NOTE NOTE The propellant in these
    foggers can be explosive, in these VERY HEAVY concentrations you can
    build up dangerous levels. SO, turn off ALL sources of
    spark/ignition (safest thing to do is turn off gas if you have it at
    the main & kill the main circuit breaker. Air out the house
    after several hours. And as Cy-Kick told you I know this is
    a genuine PITA, but it works. Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum then do it
    some more.<br>
    <br>
    By the way. The mechanism for Front Line is the poison is
    absorbed through the skin, and gets in your dog's blood. The
    fleas and other parasites die after their first sip of blood. You
    have probably noticed that your dog does not like the treatments.
    This is because as the liquid is absorbed transdermally, it causes the
    animal's skin to tingle. It is a bit uncomfortable for them, but
    I think it is not real bad pain, but more of an unpleasant experience,
    plus they do not know what is causing this strange feeling.
    </body>
    </html>

Hope this helps

17. straightaway

straightaway TS Member

after you rid your house of fleas try this with your dog(s)

use avon skin so soft. rub it in down to their skin. for some reason, fleas don't like this stuff and will not stay on your pet.

we have done this with weimeraners, beagles and labs. it works and i like it better than the idea of using products that contain some of the chemicals in commercial flea products.

have a nice day! dan

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The trick about the light bulb and the soapy water does work and it's non toxic. I had a friend try it as his house was infested from the cats and it worked in conjunction with vaccuming and the front line. After a few weeks they fogged and then fogged agoin two weeks after that.If you want them gone it really take dilligence. I shot a pile of squirrls that were bringing fleas into the yard and I spray the yard twice a year. AOur fleas survive the winter as it's not cold enough, long enough. Jeff

19. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

superxjeff:

What is best for them tree rats, 71/2's or 8's?
    I am working on the grey buggers, but I have to do it when the little woman is not home.."They are SO cute!" I know, I know, but the truth is, when it comes to issues like this I wear (women's underwear --that ok MODS?) and SHE wears the BVD's.

What do you spray on your yard?

20. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I lived in SW Michigan for ten years, 1974-84. When I first arrived I bought a Brittany pup, and named her Cindy (Ford's Cinnamon Girl), but sometimes we called her Fleabaggus Q Doggus because she was always infested. It didn't matter what we tried, flea dip, collars, something from the vet. The dip would kill them by the hundreds, but in a few weeks it would be as bad as ever. Then we moved to SE Idaho and within a few weeks the fleas were gone and she never had a problem again. We've had several dogs since then, a Lab and Chesapeakes, with never a flea problem. We did go back to Michigan once and took our Peake, and she did pick up fleas while there, but they were gone within a few weeks of returning home. I've been told that the low humidity here causes the eggs to dry out and fail to hatch, and when the current crop dies, no more fleas. Also in Michigan we had to use heartworm medicines year around, but that's no worry in Idaho - few mosquitos. So my suggestion to get rid of your fleas would be to move to a desert climate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.