1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T does everyone hurt this much?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

It Looks like I'm going to have to put my 7 year old cocker spaniel to sleep. He is my best friend and me and him have spent every day together since he was 10 weeks old till this week. The vet can't figure out what is wrong with him so she told me to take him home on a trail basis for the weekend and see if being home helped. The first day I thought it did but he won't eat and I set here tonight watching him getting very weak and know I have to take him back to the vet tomorrow and the news probably won't be good. Right now I hurt about as bad as I ever have before. Am I crazy or does it hurt everyone this bad?

2. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I feel so sorry for you and your pet. Just think of all the good times you have had with him. If you have to put him to sleep, see if the vet will stop by the house to do it. Many vets will do this and it seems to make it a little easier.

3. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Seriously, yes. It does hurt. I still tear up about my first dog, Chum, who passed on when I was 12 and that was 54 years ago. Though it is hard, I got another dog. Wasn't the same, but it was all good.

As Mark Twain said, "If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go wherever they go."

Yeah, it hurts. I saw Chum for months after he passed, just out the corner of my eye. I miss him still, but I have had many dogs since and I have two now, I will ALWAYS have a dog.

Bill Marsh
    Atlanta GA

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Yes it hurts. Dogs are family. I hope it all works out for the best.

5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Totally agree with Bill Marsh. I still think of every dog that I had that is no longer here. Some I miss more than others. Some dogs have a soul and those that do really touch our lives. A dog is just a good friend that is the same every day for you even when you are not for them.

I can tell you this, it is one of the hardest decisions you have to make. But you will know in your heart what needs to be done to honor his friendship that he had for you.

You may also find as I have that it seems that dog's souls can be reincarnated. After a little time, another dog found their way into my heart. If you have a chance pick up Mark Levin's book, "Rescuing Sprite".

Be comforted in your decision.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've had 4 Cockers and 2 Springers since I got my first spaniel at age 5.....my old pal Many died 3 years ago at age 13 and broke my heart...thank heavens for Mocha...(Chocolate Cocker)...she's a keeper....

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My last doggy a yellow lab, named "Breezy" lived 15 years. When I put her down, I cried for days and mourn to this day. Good puppy.

9. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Nope, doesn't hurt everyone but those it doesn't, are the people you don't associate with anyway. I've got such a neighbor, I spend more time with his dogs through the fence in 2 days, than the 4 years he's had them. They are a burden, I know he bought the Silver Lab just to say he had one, that dog is a very special dog in that he understands and learns immediately----but the kid will never know it. I wish someone would steal him and give a good home.

He'll also never know the pain of losing either, you can't get close to what you don't care about.

Targetmaster-----I/we feel your pain, it's been 6 years since we lost our Chesapeake and we won't ever replace him, he can't be replaced and we won't go thru that loss again. I can't bear to give details, only to wish you the best and know that you aren't alone in the way you feel. It's the hardest when the moment comes that YOU have to make the decision, it will get better but not overnight.

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Unless you have utter confidence in this vet, go get a different vet to check the dog out. I've seen $2000.00 worth of titer tests fail to reveal what 50 bucks worth of Doxacycline cured.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Dogs don't ask for much.

They trust us to take care of them even though they could make it on their own.

They are happiest when they are with a human. We give them a little piece of ourselves, and that's why it hurts when we are forced to let go.

The best medicine for losing a dog is a puppy. NO one has more fun than puppies.

Get one soon.

HM

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I agree with wireguy, go to another vet. If he has Lyme symptoms you might want to try antibiotics before putting him to sleep.

13. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Every time this comes up I can't get even through the first post without getting teary eyed. Dogs occupy a very special place in our hearts. They don't talk back much and ALWAYS listen to what you're saying. I've lost some very good animals (best friends) of which I miss tremendously. There's a sacred place that I put them (at the club, of course) which overlooks our back pond. That way they can see just about all which goes on and are kept good company by the geese, occasional ducks and constant flow of deer that run the woods and stop by the pond. When I go home at noon I will hug my current companions and thank God that I have them. Yes it hurts. When you hurt you know that you are ALIVE. It is almost a priviledge. Not something to look forward to but a priviledge none the less.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I feel your sorrow and pain. Our yellow lab was a big part of my family and although it has been 2 years since we put him to rest; we still think of him a lot. That being said, listen to wireguy. You owe it to your friend to get a 2nd opinion. My son had a black lab years ago and a vet said to spend the weekend with him and then bring him back and they would put him to sleep. (They could not diagnose the problem) We took him to a different vet and he diagnosed the problem and the dog lived another 5 years. Good Luck. Ed

15. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

It hurts and will continue to hurt. I have a grave on my farm where I have buried all my dogs. It's in a grove of Black Locust on a little knob. I cry every time I go there to clean the grave area up. I buried the last one last September at 14 years of age. He is there with his sisters and mother.

Good advice, get another as soon as possible. He/she will never take the place of the last one, but they fill that empty spot in your heart. I'm terrible sorry for your loss. Richard

16. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

The toughest advice I ever got: Your dog gave you his undying loyalty and love, show yours for him by being there when he is put down. Let your familiar smell and your face be in his mind during his last moments. He deserves it.
    I feel your pain and all dog lovers know what you are going through.

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I don't know why it hurts so much but it does. I had to put an old dog down once. When I put her in the truck she thought she was going hunting. When she was too old to hunt she would jump in the back of the truck and stay there for hours hoping I would take her. I had to drag her out and put her up. She would follow me around the yard and because she was almost blind and became very protective in her old age. When I took her to the vet I couldn't bring myself to carry her in. I had to have the vet go out and get her. I couldn't believe how much it hurt and how attached you can get to a dog. It is so easy with an animal that is so loyal to their owner. I have friends that don't like dogs and don't own any. They are too selfish to know what they are missing. It is their loss. The best way to get over it is to get a new pup and start again.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Targetmaster, I feel your pain, and have felt it four times. If it doesn't hurt you shouldn't have a four legged friend. My thoughts are with you and the best thing you can do is remember all the joy you and your friend shared!

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I feel your pain big time. Please also remember our feline friends that also give us great company. I have also had uncaring dog owners have their dogs chase our cats when they walked by. Jeeze, all animal pets are special. I feel for your possible loss.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes it hurts that much. That is the cost of love. Sorry to hear of your pain, it hurts me just to hear about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.