1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Does Anyone Have The FINAL SOLUTION......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blizzard, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

In the outbuilding where I store my lawntractors, snow-removal, and yard equipment, I am CONSTANTLY battling mice. The rotten little *insert expletive here* are forever building nests under the engine shrouds of my equipment. It's all fun and games until you lose an engine! One cost me 500.00 8 yrs. ago.

Common sense says to find out where they're getting in but that hasn't worked. They can fit through the tiniest of cracks. The building is only 10 yrs. old and is in great shape. Thoughts?

2. BMC

BMC Member

I raise a variety of different kinds of birds (hundreds of them) and consequently mice are a problem sometimes in this rural community. I've found always keeping a bar-type bait in stations in the buildings helps tremendously. They also make a metal box mouse trap that catches the mice live. This one seems to only be good if there is an infestation.

One solution could be to remove the engine shrouds so the mice don't find the place to be as appealing.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

This may sound really stupid but go down to your farm supply store and get some of them electronic rodent deterrent devices that ya plug into a wall socket ... you do have electric to the outbuilding right? ... well if you do get yourself one or two of those and plug them in.

Yeah it sounds weird but it should do the job for ya just fine ... be sure though they are made in China but are lead free.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

A better mouse trap ... The one we use at the cottage in the garage is a 5 gallon pail with some water in the bottom. Put a ramp from the ground up to the lip of the pail. String some mechanics wire across the center of the pail with a soda can in the middle (the wire goes through the can from top to bottom). Smear some peanut butter on the can. The mice jump onto the can to get the peanut butter, the can spins on the wire and the mouse ends up in the water. Bill Malcolm

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Lump, I've tried 2 different kinds of the plug in type and neither work. Do you know of a specific type that does work? On my older tractor that I use for snow, the shrouds came off easily. But now they've moved into my new Cub Cadet, and it looks like taking the cover off of it is going to be a major P.I.A.

6. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

I was at Lowe's the other day and they had some neat little things in packages of two. They claim that the devices are good for mouse control. I think they were labeled "mouse traps".

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

Can you hear Brando telling the "bat story" in Missouri Breaks????

This is a battle of attrition,,,,and only those that can see it through will be victorious.......

In this battle,,,you must be smarter than the mouse!!! Like mexicans,,you must get all the boogers in one place,,and at your mercy!!!!

You come from a "winter-time" place,,,,,so tell me,,,isn't "indian summer" a "burn time"?????

Use the "old ways" grasshopper!!!! Torch their surroundings black,,,remove all food stuffs that mice would use,,,,this will force them to "yard-up" for the coming winter,,,,,throw a couple bales of hay on the ground out back,,,thats where the little bastards will be when the show flies,,take it from there,,,a back-hoe and 5 gallons of gas may be needed,,,apply liberally.....

AKA Grammie.........

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I second the Moth Balls idea, used to use them to keep the mice out of my boat while in winter storage, and never had a moth problem either ... Place them around the perimiter of the shed inside and out and that should cure your problem ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I was just reading on several different sites dedicated to the subject at hand. Everyone of them mentions oil of peppermint. I guess that you put it on cottonballs and scatter them around like WPT said to do with the mothballs. I'm going to give it a whirl. I was also thinking of making scent bombs out of fox pee, but I seem to have misplaced my fox pee. Wonder if the wife will know where I left THAT!

What really bothers me about this is that the building is tight. It's stick built, sided, shingled roof, with a concrete floor building. I don't get it.

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I once had a steer get out on me every week until I got so mad I went on a tirade and pushed on the heavy grating between the fence posts all the way around the lot. One was loose. The staples were missing on one end so it sprung back in place after that steer walked through.

Also had a cow that wouldn't go in the barn until I put a bucket of shell corn just inside the door. Took her 20 minutes, but she went in. Same cow would walk in the creek and eat the grass on the bank just above the water.

Take it up as a challenge. There's a way in that shed. Have you looked at the roof?

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I honestly think that they are climbing up the inside of the corner trim on the vinyl siding, and then climbing in the eve. Does that sound crazy?

12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Test it.

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I was working the graveyard shift one evening, and I kept seeing something moving out of the corner of my eye. I glanced over at a wall locker that was there, and there was a mouse squeezing through the little vent slot in the locker door. I couldn't believe it! They don't need much of an opening, that's for sure.

The moth balls work. We use them at our hunting cabin. They keep the darn porcupines away, too. They love plywood.

14. mod12man

mod12man TS Member

we live next to a field, and my neighbors have a lot of mice and we dont. reason we dont: a cat that is a great mouser

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Mothballs?

How do you catch enough moths to get a decent amount?

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Big moths.

Seriously, I would use poisoned grain.

HM

17. mod12man

mod12man TS Member

I was never too keen on poisoning them because they will die where you cant see them and boy do they stink after a while. also, any animal that may eat a poisoned mouse might die as well. if you have a lot of mice, after a few die from poison, the others will know not to eat the tainted grain.

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

Kitty cats do the job better than anything...with less effort from you.

19. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I use Bounce fabric softener sheets. I stuff them in the tractors, cars, truck and the motor home whenever they need to set for a while particularly in the winter. Just poke one in any little place you can find and they will keep mice away. Also makes the vehicles smell pretty good in the spring. I have been using them for several years and they stopped the mouse problem. I live on an old farm with lots of out buildings so I have really tested them and they work. They smell a lot better than moth balls.

jim brown

20. shadow

shadow Active Member

Suspend a nice meaty pork chop bone on a hot wire a couple of inches above a shallow metal pan hooked to the negative side. Simple, but very effective. 110 jolts the hell out of them,220 and above makes nice puffballs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.