1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Does a gun have a soul?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by School Teacher, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My hunting partner of over 30 years passed away two years ago. We hunted small game and deer and had specific guns for each type of game and/or hunting situation. We had many, many memorable times together.

I no longer hunt live things but I still have my hunting guns. At times, I will pick up my Marlin 366 in .35 Remington or my Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 or a field grade 870 with a 26” vent rib in 12 gauge. When I do, I can almost see my old partner getting out of the deer shack or the truck all fitted out and ready to go with the dogs yapping in the dog box ready to be let out.

Think about all of the time you carry a special gun in all kinds of weather waiting for that special moment. Then the birds flush from a dog’s point or a bunny gets up in front of the dogs or a large buck appears out of thin air from a small thicket. You shoot and later share your success with your partner.

I put the gun of choice back and the memories of the hunt and my hunting partner fade. Then I wonder, does a gun have a soul? Even more important, do your favorite guns get to go to Heaven with you (if you do)?

I wonder.

Ed Ward

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've been wondering the same thing and have hit a sort of wall. OK, here it is: If I get creamated, will my guns all be presented to me in heaven as a pile of smoldering ashes and melted steel?

Tron

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

yes, I think so.

tony

4. Jamesquinn

Jamesquinn TS Member

Yes, absolutely. Everything has a soul - humans, dogs, guns, trees, music, food, cockroaches. Some souls are larger than others, and some more pleasing than others, but everything has a soul.

If a thing were soul-less, it would have no effect, positive or negative, on our emotions and memories.

5. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

No, a gun has no soul of its own; but a special one can have a place in yours.

6. ZAGGY

ZAGGY TS Member

Who said anything about going to heaven? Zag

7. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

No.

Guns don't have souls, regardless of the New Age rantings of some. What they do is allow us to reach parts of our soul that would otherwise be unattainable.

HBT

8. tachyon

tachyon Member

reminds me of the debate about whether dogs have a soul.
    I know snopes thinks it is a fake but it is funny none the less.

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

My gun tires to do the right thing and break every target but due to operator error, the result is less than 100%. Why oh why does the gun have to have an operator? Darrell

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

School -Teacher , Tron, you guys have the soul and a little bit of your soul transfers to those special guns. But for the most part it's your friendships and good nature and your being thoughtful people that make those guns help bring back the great memories of good friends and great time. i keep my dog's collars after they leave and each one evokes great memories of great hunts, great friends and my four legged huntig partners then so do my hunting guns. I've read a lot of posts and response from both of you over the years I've visited this site and from that I can say I'd be proud to be one of your hunting / shooting friends

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My Kolar had no soul, that's why I got rid of that no shooting shotgun and got a Ljutic that has soul............

Hauxfan!

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

None of mine even have feet.

13. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Love my Python. Had to wait years to afford one but like a lot of things in life, the anticipation is part of the pleasure of the experience.

(Side note to Tron: It really does not matter what form your guns get to you in, after all their automatics....ugggg)

14. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I don't know about my guns having souls, but as said above they help me reach parts of my soul that would be out of reach.

Then again most of my better scores on the clay birds come when I make a deal with my gun, "I'll see the bird, you break it!". It works until I start thinking I can do it better, sometimes only one miss gets me off that, other times I just won't learn!

I also have a deal with my Shotgun, that is, when I know I was on a bird and it doesn't break, then I can get another shotgun! It will be a shame to put that old friend in the rack over ONE miss, when it has broken oh so many birds that I had flat out missed! So maybe I will just think about buying a new gun at that time!

Those Python's are mighty sweet packages, it's cheaper version the 357 that became the the Trooper (but before those MKII or three's) is pretty sweet also, just not as smooth all over inside and out!

Al

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Tron,

You asked:

"If I get creamated, will my guns all be presented to me in heaven as a pile of smoldering ashes and melted steel?"

While your assumption is wrong, your conclusion is correct. LOL

16. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

I had a BT99 that needed an exorcism. Does that count? I really liked it, too, but the devil made it miss an AWFUL lot of targets.....

Larry

17. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Yes and they do have a heart as evidenced by the black fella that was humping the "pig" in Predator. After he had the emotional talk with the MG and the alien blew up his head with the death ray... But neither the heart or soul helped him out in the end! A shame, all those brains all over that Maremont. RG

18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Don't know about soul but some can be perverse. My TB sometimes misbehaves. I put it in timeout for a couple weeks and shoot a BT or Cynergy. When I bring the Tibbie back out she generally behaves quite well.

Doubt any of them will make it to heaven. Do hope my Springer is still waiting up there, though.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My Ljutic sometimes just does not like to break targets. No matter what I say or do, it refuses to go and do what it's suppost to do. Is my fault? I treat is like a king. Feed it the best reloads or shells money can buy. Give it warm cozy oil baths regulary. Always, it sleeps in the house, and gets regular check-ups. It does have a cranky streak. But, when it's in the zone....Well, we dance the dance of perfection.

20. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

I know for sure that my target pistol has an evil sense of humor.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.