1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Do you want to see my Great Great Gran Pappy

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by foghorn220, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok first of all I missed out on a Civil War marker dedication yesterday for my Great Great Grand Pappy!!

I was told about it after it was over.

Anyway they had 4 or 5 people dressed up in the civil war suits and done a gun salute with the civil war guns instead of the modern ones I have no clue if they did a 21 gun salute or not if so then it took awhile.

Well back in the old days the women wasn't to purtty looking but they could churn out the kids though.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/family%20photos/william%20frederick/?action=view¤t=wf-2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Well below is a photo of my Great Grand Dad they called him Little (Boss) his real name was Edward Eli but he was a hoot to be around and when I was a youngester I would stay the night with him and if he said something and you didn't do it then you would the next time.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/family%20photos/william%20frederick/?action=view¤t=wfthweattpage25.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Ok in the photo above William was the one they had the Civil war dedication for and the rest are the kids along with the wife Lenona.

Ok back to my Great Grand Dad He liked to get up real early in the morning and if you didn't get up when he said breakfast was ready then a few minutes later you might get a cool bucket of well water thrown on you im sure my Great Gramd Maw didn't like that much on the feather bed.

Well anyway I had a lot of good times at his farm we used to ride the billy goats also we would get in a 55 gallon barrel and roll down the hill and a lot of times we would land out in the road way but it wasn't much traffic back then.

Anyway he died in 1976 and his barns are still standing today.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/family%20photos/william%20frederick/?action=view¤t=IMG_0612.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

So anyone else remember spending the night at their great grandparents house.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/family%20photos/?action=view¤t=foghorn_dog.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

FogHorn

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

L.O.L.

Hey Zardozforty

Ok I will start backwards since we are a backwards kind of people.

Ok my Paw and maw had 3 and im the middle one allright, my grand paw and grand maw had 4 and one got killed getting off a school bus when he was 11 he was named after my great grand pappy,ok my great grand dad and maw also only had 4 and one died at birth.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/family%20photos/william%20frederick/?action=view¤t=infantthweatt.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Ok on to my Great Great Grand Pappy he had 8 kids and out of the 8 kids they produced 39 grand kids,then 93 great grand kids, 179 great great grand kids, and 126 great great great grand kids, also 13 of the 39 grand kids are still alive the oldest being 89 and the youngest at 53.

Ok the last kid my Great Great Grand Pappy had a hand or something else in he was 66 1/2 years old.

By the way I know you know my email address but I posted it above anyway, but send me the site you was talking about.

Also if you you have a printer you can make a phamplet like I disected to post on here and you can read it better it has some more interesting stuff in it.

I can email it to you.

Foggy

Craig Thweatt

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Cool stuff, Craig. My maternal Grandfather Garrison and his Dad (Pappy) were from Mt. Sterling KY and Mammy was the daughter of Capt. Henry Jones of the Mt. Sterling Militia in the war betwixt the states. Someday I'll have to get that way and visit the homestead and Sir Foghorn too....Bob Dodd

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hey buddy, that was very interesting reading! Ifn ya wanna know whut yer gonna look like when ya git older, look at yer great great granpaws photo!! Thanks for sharing this with us! Hap

5. Kent

Kent TS Member

It's good to have some family history to save for the next generations. Our Great/Great Grandpas may have met in a manner of speaking. Mine was in the 32nd Illinois and I read where he visited your "neck of the woods".

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Next time any of y'all are in the Great Smokey Mountain National Forest, visit Cades Cove, Tennessee. Go to Aunt Becky's place (that's what my great grandma called it)...that's the visitor's center. In there, you will see copies of pictures that have been passed down to me. I decended from the Abbotts there.

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Cpl. Noah Richard Abbott

1836-1921

Fanny Kirkland Co.E 9th TN Calvary Oct 1863 - Sep 1865

He was a Union Soldier.

8. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Two of my great grandfathers served in the Confederate Amry too. One in Scoggins Battery, GA and the other in Co. K., 2nd FL Cav. Both died before I was born but I do have a photo of me in the lap of my great grandmother.

The video is of ou local Confederate Memorial Day Service which was attended by one of black councilwoman and she led the singing of Dixie. That should stir some around here.

Van

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Is there, or does someone know of a link that lists the names of all of our soldiers that fought for our independence circa 1776?

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

10. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Craig, after meeting you at the KY State Shoot and looking at the picture of your G-G-G-P I agree with Hap. You may be a "little" fuller in the face but you can easily see the family resemblance. Good thread, enjoyable.

HarryC

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Foghorn I've not seen any post from you in awhile did I miss them or have you been under the radar for last few weeks? Glad to see you back posting "all's right with the world"!

12. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Bruce Specht:

Well I hadn't been on here much lately but when I am most of the time it is after mid night after I get home from work now and sleep most of the day by the way go to run right now time to punch the time clock.

Foghorn

13. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Hauxfan,

There is no complete roster of soldiers who fought in the Rev War. The DAR and the SAR both hold rosters of their members only. You might try some of the online state archives and geneology web sites. At my museum, we use Ancestry.com a lot and footnotes.com has some Rev War rosters as well. Once again, just keep looking and good luck as it takes a lot of research if you are starting from zero info.

Van

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I not only stayed at his house, I lived with my great grandad for 10 years. He was an Old Order Amish and we lived in Sidney Indiana. He lived to be 101 years old. He smoked a cigar every day. When I was 13 he was 95, he took me fishing to Palstine Lake and he rowed the boat ( no motor) all over the lake. He as well as all my Amish relatives was a wonderful person.. They made everything they ate or used. In 1949 my grandfathers barn burnt and within 4 days the Amish had a new one up. They came from all over that part of Indiana to help.It still stands today and whenever I am in the area I stop to marvel at it with it's hand hewn beams. Every stich of wood in that barn was hand cut. Back then there were no lights in it because they did not believe in electricity but today there is. The old lanterns still hang throughout the barn. Such wonderful memories that most people will never have the chamce to eperience. I remember riding behind the Mules and work horses pulling a plow in my Great Grandpa's lap. Years later when I was farming that ground with a John Deere, I used to think about plowing the same ground but with horses instead of a tractor. Those were wonderful years and memories.

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I'll check out those sites..........

Hauxfan!

16. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I have always wondered how the amish, memonites, etc. determined up to what point in history or time period it was ok to use household items, tools, etc. I guess I am asking how do they determine it is ok to to use anything in use up to say 1900 but not after 1900? Is this determination referenced in biblical scripture or some other document?

Examples: Some mennonite groups use tractors to power equipment to put things in a loft in a barn but not to cultivate crops in the fields.

17. cubancigar2000

Doubleauto - there are many different Amish Sects. The old Order Amish is normally modernized to the point of ( blinds at the windows, lights, black plain cars, etc etc. They still school their own and help each other out ( no insurance) when something happens. They are very simple folks still today but they have changed a lot. They pay cash for everything. No loans ( except within the group)

18. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Very cool stuff.

19. cubancigar2000

I can't think of a better memory than thrashing ( combining time) All my relatives would show up to help ( with work horses ) and all the men & able children would take to the fields to work and all the women would cook. Lunch was like a smorgasboard. Everything home cooked and baked that you can imagine. My mouth is watering just thinking about all that good food. Then in the winter we would relive it when they all came to make sorgum. Yummie!

20. cubancigar2000

Zardozforty - the Mishiwaka area is loaded with Amish. Those are the true Pennsylvania Dutch Amish and they live pretty meager lives. Ther is a lot of good food up that way. Over by Shishewana is a restauarant ran by Amish that serves Amish food family style. Don't miss it. The name of it is Dos Essenhaus. Even if you cannot eat there, stop and buy a pie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.