1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Do you still have hummingbirds.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It has been so dry and hot and not as many flowers here in South Georgia but I have had more hummingbirds in the last few weeks than I have ever had. I only see three at the most at one time but there has been at least one at one of the three feeders all the time, even at night. I put one of my game camera's on the porch and leave the porch light on they they still feed into the wee hours. There was one last year that was much larger than the others and built a nest 25 feet from the feeders and it appears that it came back this year. I love watching them but wondered why they chase others from the feeders. Jackie B.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

All usual birds seem to have abandoned us this year. Don't know why? Hummers even really down.......breakemall

3. oz

oz Active Member

birds are like that. the old adage birds of a feather flock together doesn't hold true. they all get a sip though.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

We still have a pair (well maybe just two individuals) at our feeder here in West Central Indiana. It has not rained here since mid-May.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Plenty of em in east Texas.

6. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

got them in Ohio also. One of the local gun clubs has about 12 of them. They are very territorial. Birdtracker

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Still here in Central Indiana. And it doesn't matter how many feeders you put up...they will still run away any sumbitch that shows up at their feeding spot. Fun to watch, but nasty little buggers.

8. B V

B V TS Member

We still have hummingbirds on the south shore of the St Lawrence River in Northern New York.

The Purple Martins had the young ones flying and left on July 18th.

9. rocko

rocko Member

Here in StL Mo the count is way down. Have had many more in years past. I can I.D. 4 hummers, in the past could not I.D. any because of so many.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Have several that show up. They're pretty cool.

11. Norsky

Norsky Member

We still have at least seven at our place in SW WI.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

We just refilled our feeders Saturday. We have at least 3 hummingbirds that hang around all day. I could sit and watch them all day. A few years ago my neighbor had a hummingbird nest in their backyard. It was the neatest little nest. It was sort of a teardrop shaped ball that could literally fit in the palm of your hand.

13. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

We have several flying around our 3 feeders, although they were scarce on Saturday & Sunday. They seem to be satisfied with my mixture of drinks for them.
    Larry

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

This little guy would fend off anything that would come close to this feeder, or any of the other two if he could watch them all at the same time. He would even buzz the cat, when she was close to the feeder. The funniest was when a Wren landed on the shepherds hook. The Wren had to be thinking, what the..., where the..., why the ... Seems there are more now, as I am seeing more females now. Maybe they are the young of the year, and females are off the nest. Could be some early migration from northern Wisconsin.
    stlflyn_2010_0704264.jpg

stlflyn_2010_0704265.jpg

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

There are still plenty here in upper MI, but they will be gone soon. Bill

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We seem to have a lot this year. According to a radio special I was listening to, due to the dry weather their natural food source is lacking and they are hitting the feeders harder.

Thus they are more visible.

17. shadow

shadow Active Member

Still have a bunch of them here in W. Kentucky. Migration time is here.

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Grntitan, the hummers build nests in the pine trees in my front yard. The nest appears to be built out of mud and looks like a one inch cup on the top side of the limb. Love watching them especially when the babies stand on the side of the nest flapping their wings. Jackie B.

19. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I still see them every other day or so. I don't feed them, just see them coming to the flowers that the deer haven't eaten around the house. Mostly phlox and hosta. In southeastern Pa.

20. chemist

chemist Member

still have a couple at the Sacandaga in NY state but they are skittish and were gone completely when temps were high. Sumac changing color -

rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.