1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Do you ever clean the bore of a .22LR?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Just a question. For those who shoot alot of 22 Long rifle, do you ever clean the bore of your rifle? If so, with what (rod, boresnake,etc.)?

Matt

2. BWPBeretta

BWPBeretta TS Member

When I shot competitively you would only clean a rifle at end of season. It would take 50 rounds or so to have the rifle shoot with any accuracy. This was common with those shooting custom 22 rifles. I would shoot 50 to 100 rounds every day for about 6 months.

3. BWPBeretta

BWPBeretta TS Member

When I shot competitively you would only clean a rifle at end of season. It would take 50 rounds or so to have the rifle shoot with any accuracy. This was common with those shooting custom 22 rifles. I would shoot 50 to 100 rounds every day for about 6 months.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When I shot competitively I would clean the rifle after every match. I would use a brass brush and cleaning rod with Hoppes #9. The trick is to leave the bore wet when your done. That's because a 22lr does not have enough lube on it to make it all the way down a 27 inch match barrel without leaving lead fouling. The Hoppes #9 acts as extra lube to prevent this. The rifle would be back to top accuracy after 2 or 3 fouling shots. HMB

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hummm. I have a 10/22 and the bore has never seen a cleaning tool of any sort since purchased new about 30 years ago. Still shoots good enough to hit squirrel heads if I do my part.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shooting International Smallbore Rifle Matches inorder to score a 10 at 50' you have to hit a scoring "ring" which resembles the point of a pin. Squirrel heads are a little bigger. HMB

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about cleaning my rimfires. Usually I lie down till the feeling goes away.

HM

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Older match rifles (BSA for instance) reacted poorly to being cleaned...more modern target rifles(Anschutz for instance) shot better if cleaned after each days shooting, with a couple of 'fouling' or 'warmer' shots before each match. Shoot a couple of groups with your 'dirty' rimfire, clean the barrel with hoppes on a bronze brush, wipe through with clean patches until they collect no further crud, fire a couple of shots, then shoot another couple of groups. Compare the 2 batches of groups and decide for yourself what suits your rifle. Kind Regards-Graham.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

HM,

In the minds eye, thinking about cleaning it and actually cleaning it are viewed and registered exactly the same. So when you are thinking about it do a good job. HMB

10. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I found that when I shot my Anschutz at indoor matches, using solvent would take quite a few rounds to stabilize the groups. I would either not clean it after every match, run a dry patch through it, or clean it with Flitz polishing agent. Our best shooter did nothing with his.

A bore scope will actually show that erosion always seems to start at the six o' clock position of the throat. Don't know why.

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You should clean the the barrel when accuracy drops off, which might be several hundred rounds. A carbon build up in the throat area will start to grow and size the bullet smaller when it goes over it when fired. Many competition shooters will only brush the 1st few inches of the chamber and barrel then use a bore snake. Anschutz barrels like many others have a choke lapped into it at the end of the barrel and any sizing taking place in a carbon build up area is counter productive to accuracy.

12. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I always clean my .22's after shooting. A wire brush, Hoppe #9, then clean patch, and lastly a lightly oiled patch. You pick the cleaning rod. Also, wipe the blued surfaces with light oil and it will outlast you. Rust has devalued many a fine firearm. Also, if you store it in a soft gun case, leave it unzippered at the end to avoid trapping moisture. It's worked for me for 45 years. Darrell

13. xcollector

xcollector TS Member

I shot competitive smallbore for half my life. You need to properly clean a barrel to maintain your best accuracy. I had heard the "dirty guns" shoot better myth my whole life too. I think part of that was started because back in the day people didn't use rod guides, and/or cleaned from the muzzle end and messed up the crown of the barrel. I can tell you 100% that it is not the case with any of my guns. I too need to fire fouling shots after a good cleaning, but my guns settle down after 10-15 rounds. If someone does an honest machine rest test and shows me the data....I will believe them.

I don't like using indoor (50ft) as any benchmark for accuracy. I can easily clean target inside with low grade Eley ammo all day long. Take that out to 50M and it is a whole different story.

The only thing I do differently than the others that have posted is I run a patch on a jag first to get the junk out.

Kolar12- I asked that very question to a friend years ago, and he told me that in Eley ammo in the powder compound there are tiny abrasives that settle and work like sandpaper in the barrel....I won't swear to that data but he is one of the best shooters in the country (maybe the world for his age group).

This is a link to Dan Lilja's site with an article about cleaning. IMHO he is the best rimfire rifle builder in the world.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/support/rimfire_maintenance.htm

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I clean them every year or so ... just seems like the right thing to do and usually the rest of the gun needs it. Nothing special, I use a solvent soaked patch on a .22 jag and a Dewey rod, swab with new patches until they come out looking like they did going in then dry patch then oiled patch. I'm not a paper puncher though more of a twice a week plinker.

15. DocJim

DocJim Member

I shot an Anschutz Model 54 Super Match for many years, indoors and outdoors and like several posters here found no benefit to frequent cleaning. I cleaned it once, at the end of the year. As the .22 ammo is lubricated there was never any rust even in damp storage environments. I firmly believe that more .22 barrels have been worn out by cleaning than by shooting. Center fire is a whole different ball game.
    AJ

16. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Thanks for all the replies. I will do some testing and see. I bought a new CZ 452 Varmint and was curious. I had an Anschutz 54 Super Match that shot good clean or not. I had a Kimber that would only shoot a group if it was clean. Just curious to everyone's opinion. Thanks.

Matt - Woodson Ent.

17. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Wigger was cleaning his gun at the OTC when I asked him about it. He was using brushes, patches, and solvent.

Bert Brookes the ELEY customer range officer shot with us at perry. He would rather talk politics and religion than gun cleaning but said to wipe out a cold dirty bbl before shooting as the glass debris was destructive.

I hear some high volume, high ability shooters say they never clean and others always do. Part of the difference may be the bullet hardness. ELEY had 2 product manufacturing lines for all their ammo the only difference is meeting the 500 quality specs they have (again from the late Mr Brookes). White bullets were approx 1% antimony (harder) vs black at 0.3% and that may be the difference in leading or not.

I use black bullet lines and clean at every 90 rounds. I plugged up a new Ans 1813 with 500 rds of CCI std by not cleaning. I couldnt hold a NRA B17 10 ring ar 50 feet anymore in prone. You could feel the choke restriction ahead of the chamber. Chunks flecks and slivers came out for hours of cleaning. Ultimately use a Outers foul out on it.

Looking clean can be as simple as polished lead deposits. Good patches on a tight jag and proper solvents prove ther're there.

now back to politics and religion....

18. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I only cleaned mine once or twice when i started shooting br 50 matches--found out real quick it was the wrong thing to do--rifle wouldn"t shoot in the same zip code 2 times in a row from a clean bbl--usually threw away 2 fouling shots/warming shots before getting serious--then gun would knock out the pencil dot size 10 ring at 50 yds. I've never seen a gun that would shoot accurately first shot after cleaning--always wondered how snipers hit anything from a cold,clean bbl.Then again a mansized target gives a lot of leeway.

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have a 6PPC benchrest gun that will shoot the same POA after cleaning, also a Remington 5R milspec that will do the same. Some guns will but most don't. The county where I live in has a tactical team that has 2 Remington M24's 1 of them will throw the 1st. shot 1/2 left and a 1/2 up from a clean barrel at 100 yards. When my friend has to setup for backup he will go to any number of ranges in the county and fire 2 fouling shots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.