1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Do any of you use Google Chrome?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was reading an article and it said Chrome was a much faster Web engine. Anyone use it and why. The article says it is faster and more users than firefox which I know some of you use. I'm still using iternet explorer. Recommendations. Jackie B.

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I use Firefox and have it set to not track my browsing. Chrome has been know to track your every move.

You can set it to not track, but it's not a sure thing.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57368016-285/how-to-prevent-google-from-tracking-you/

Jerbear

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I have used Chrome for well over a year. However, I use google as my default search engine and gmail. So together, it all works great. For me, on my computer and my cable internet, Chrome loads much faster and is more responsive than fire fox. As far as I.E... Well, I just hope that I don't have to use it anytime soon.

I was skeptical of the Chrome thing at first, but once I tried it, I am very happy with it!

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Jerbear hits the nail on the head. I do not trust Chrome to not track me, even with tweaks. Chrome is designed to provide Google with harvested information which they can turn around and sell. You are a resource, not a user.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've used all three, and firefox is fastest for me. Chrome isn't much faster than IE on either of my computers (and comparing IE to Firefox is like comparing dialup to broadband for me).

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Regardless if Chrome tracks me, it is tracking an IP address that that my broadband provider issues. My IP comes up in a city 40 miles from where I actually live. Google doesn't know me, my home address, name, SSN, etc.. Unless of course one believes that their broadband company freely provides this information without a subpoena. If one does believe that... then absolutely, THEY are tracking your every move and something bad will happen one day... LOL...

I guess I am the Ginny pig, I know what THEY say about tracking... blah, blah,
    It has been over a year that I and others I know use Chrome and guess what? I go to this forum like everyone else, I check the local news, national news, weather, fishing and hunting sites, and since Chrome already knows... I will admit here that I even search food network for recipes from shows that I have watched.

If something bad happens or my internet surfing experience suffers from being tracked by Chrome, I will certainly post.
    There is the possibility that other internet browsers feed paranoid fears with information about tracking etc., in order to pick up more users. What is the real truth?
    With over a billion people on planet earth online, I am not concerned if my generic IP address along with tens of thousands of others in a local area has their cookies sorted in order that I get food recipes and cookware ads popping up on the side of a webpage while my neighbor gets model airplane ads and people that “are not being tracked” get generic ads in the exact same location on certain pages as the rest of us. The idiot a few houses down I am sure has Democratic, PETA, and links to Whale Wars ads showing up on his various webpages.

There is not always a boogey man lurking in every shadow. Should Chrome slow down and Fire Fox speeds up for me, I will switch as I have no loyalty to any internet provider or brouser, nor do I believe everything they claim because there is an internet article that says so…

There are ways for one to stay anonymous on the web, cell phone, credit card, etc., realm, however, that costs money and those that are going to that extraordinary length to stay on the grid but 100% anonymously certainly won’t admit it on an open forum.

7. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I use Google Chrome on rared occasions. However, I don not see any advantage using Chrome over IE8. I am on ComCast cable.

I just ran a speed check on each of the search engines using speedtest.net.

Results:

Internet Explorer 8; down load was 24.36 Mbps and up load was 4.13 Mbps

Google Chrome; down load was 24.82 Mbps and up load was 4.13 Mbps

I really don't see any differences between the two.

Frank

8. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Apples and oranges, once any browser is opened to the speed test page and the speed test begins, that is testing your internet connection. What everyone is debating is how fast or slow on different machines does a browser switch pages or open when first clicked on from the desk top, etc.

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I use Google, Firefox and IE- no problems with any of them. My question is: What in the holy hell is a "Ginny pig"? Is it an alcoholic pig?

10. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

It is the phonetic spelling... trying to make it easier for some on here. HAHA

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I use IE and have Fire Fox for a back up in case IE is acting up. Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.