1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t diver watch recommendation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blackfoot, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Rolex. It will last more than 1 life time!

2. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Depends on your price range. I think Rolexes are over priced. They are good. They used to be the best but the competition has more than caught up. Friends Roleves are always losing time and some have plastic crystals. I'd consider an Omega Seamaster or a Breitling Superocean. Both are under $2k. I've worn my Breitling 24/7/365 for 9yrs without a problem. I am rough on equipment. The 4mm saphire crystal still doesn't have a scratch. A friend has the Omega(James Bond). It is a good looking watch. The bracelet seems less durable 5 seg vs. 3. Just my 2 cents.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Depends of course on how deep you are going - and your price range

I will second the Citizen divers watches - and the eco drive is a neat deal because it recharges

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. gusto777

gusto777 Member

I would highly recommend "Luminox" watches. I have several of them and I'm extremely satisfied with the product. It is the same watch that is used by the Navy Seals so I don't need to say more about their underwater/diver capabilities. They are reasonably priced and offer a host of designs. Google "Luminox" for more information.

Gus

5. Guy

Guy Member

Muhle Glashutte Aqua Timer or Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon.

6. otnot

otnot Active Member

I will 3rd the Ecodrive watch. I have had one since they were first introduced and have made many dives with it. The only problem I have had is I left it in a drawer with no light and the backup battery died and had to be replaced.

7. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Rolex is the Mercedes of watches...and that's not good. As a kayaker, swimmer, and diver, the Rollie crowd I hang with has moved on to newer and better made watches that don't require a 3-5 year "tuneup" in the $400-$600. range. Both Seiko and Citizen make some excellent watches at 80% LESS than a much hyped Rolex.
    These are very popular:
    http://www.creationwatches.com/products/citizen-diver-s-aqualand-49/citizen-professional-diver-promaster-sea-1000m-nh6930-09fb-746.html

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Haven't worn a watch since I got a cell phone years ago.

Jerbear

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Gus, I think the Navy Seals name was like a trademark and Luminox was forced to stop using it. I may be wrong but I don't think the Seals use it.

Jerbear, Is the cell phone good for 300 meters?

Oris doesn't make anything except catalogs.

10. mt

mt Member

G-shock by Casio is a great diving watch. Inexpensive, takes a real beating, accurate etc.

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My Rolex Submariner sits in my safe. It needs a restoration but it ain't worth the $$'s Rolex charges....I wear a Titanium Eco-Drive 24/7 that is the best time keeper I've ever owned. I don't dive but it's a good swim watch.

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I've a 37 year old Rolex that keeps on ticking. Had 2 overhauls and a new bracelet but not bad for $275 originally. Spent 3 times that amount on it since new.

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you think your going down real deep, get a Breitling. 10,000 feet.

14. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Jerry P . . . . Actually the Department of the Navy requested "Luminox" to make watches to the Navy Seals specs. and became the supplier of same to the Navy. They are Swiss made and have an amazing and unique illumination system. There great watches . . especially if you dive or work around alot of water or moisture.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you want to spend a lot of money, the Breitling is the best. If you want a really good one for $200-$450 buy a Zodiac. I own 4 of them and have worn them for 20 years. Not many people know the watch but it is swiss made and their automatic is a dream to own. I have one on my wrist that I have worn for 18 years now and spent 90.00 on it for cleaning. The jeweler tried to buy it from me. They are very well thought of by jewelers. Ebay has lots of them but try to find one made in the 1990 - 2000 ara. There are many new old stock ones out there. My preference is the Gold Pont auto but the Seawolf is excellent also

16. Cat Fish

Cat Fish Member

I’ve owed them all. The watch I wear everyday is the Luminox.
    You can see the dial underwater or in any situation without light. Runs and …..

Ia've been a SCUBA diver for 20 years. Used many and now have what I think is the best. Regardles of price.

As a dress watch it’s a Omega Seamaster.

I sold the ROLEX. Still have a few Seiko’s. Luminox gets my vote. Hope my wife reads this. Christmas is coming.

Bill

17. Alpha_Three_Niner

Alpha_Three_Niner TS Member

Luminox! There's something manly about the glow of tritium!

18. randy-s

randy-s Member

My Submariner sat on the boat when we switched to dive computers years ago. I do have a 5513 Sub for sale.

19. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ball watch is great for $1650 but Seiko or Luminox will give you equal performance for a lot less,

Bob

20. WGB

WGB Member

Rolex for the best. But if you just want a good watch that works Zodiac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.