1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Digital camera question - 10x zoom

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

I know little about digital cameras but have been looking at them for years while considering the purchase of one.

One thing I have read and learned is if you want good zoom get a high powered regular zoom and forget the high powered digital enhanced fake zoom that so many cameras have.

I know that Sony along with a few others do have some digital cameras with a regular zoom upwards of 7x and 10x ... look for one of those and if my memory is correct you really don't want zoom if your going close up but more along the lines of macro, or that is what it was/is called in regular film days of photography.

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that a "digital zoom" is different than an "optical zoom"....a digital zoom, zooms in on an existing image whereas an optical zoom uses the elements of the camera lens to actually enlarge the image. The digital zoom image will be "pixallized" and not of high quality. Find a camera with as much Optical zoom capability as possible. I've seen camera's lately with 6MP resolution and 6X optical zoom for under $300. Good luck.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm no photography expert, but I use a digital camera with an optical zoom and a digital zoom. I sometimes have to use the zoom features to get the light right (too close and the flash washes out the subject but no flash yields a too-dark photo) and I catch hell from the magazine's phtography guy because those photos can't be enlargened much without becoming grainy. In fact, my son and I are doing a reshoot of the photos for an April article tonight partially because of that.

More than that I can't tell you.

Ed

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There you go - Ljutic73 explained my problem perfectly!

Ed

5. ljutic73

thanks ED!!

6. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

If you are going for that kind of zoom, make sure you have a viewfinder on the camera, because if you have to use the scrren to frame your picture, you won't be able to hold it still enough.

I have a 3X zoom, which equals 105 mm and for travel pictures, that's quite adequate.

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

My Sony has 6X zoom. It recommends to turn it off if not necessary. Mine is optical up to 3X then digital after that.

Also states that digital zoom does not work for moving images.

I can tell you that the digital does not take good pictures.

I like my camera very much for putting pictures on my computer.

Get the most optical zoom you can afford and forget about the digital. Ray

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

In addition to making sure the zoom is optical make sure the camera has image stabilization.

9. glcmedic118

glcmedic118 TS Member

My experience mirrors that of others...do not worry about digital zoom. Spend your money wisely and purchase good optics. The more optical zoom you have then the better off you will be. When you digitally zoom you are only focusing in deeper on a specific area of the original shot. This spreads the pixel ratio out and after you attempt to get to close into a specific area of the subject your quality starts to go down since the ratio in that area has now decreased. Optical zoom with a relatively high MP ratio. I would suggest 6 megapixel or above. Head to sites like tiger direct etc for some pretty good deals on digital cameras. My personal choice is canon. Good optics, good features, and reasonable priced for the average consumer. Best of luck to you on your venture. We have had more fun with our digital camera's than you can imagine for perserving things for our children. I might also suggest that you not lock yourself into proprietary software that comes with the camera. Simply download Picasa to store and organize your shots. You can edit wome with this software and email etc. If you want to get into higher end editing then go to acrobat etc for something of that nature. If you lock into a proprietary program it can cause you headaches later. Good Luck, Grant

10. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

When deciding on the Megapixel range you want to buy, keep in mind how you will be using the pictures. If you want to print them, get the absolute highest Megapixels, because modern printers are capable of extremely high numbers of pixels per inch, and the more pixels the better the pictures.

Megapixels becomes less important if your primary goal is to view the pictures on a computer or TV screen, since these devices have much lower resolution than a printer. For example, I have a Kodak 12 Meg camera that I hook up through a dock to my HD TV. The resolution of the TV is 1920 x 1080 or roughly 2 Megapixels. That's comparable to my computer monitor which is 1680 x 1050 or roughly 1.7 Megapixels.

The pictures look good, but not as good as if I had them printed on a large format, high resolution printer which rendered every pixel discretely.

11. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

If you really want a good camera, look at the digital rebels or the D series nikons. you can get them for around $500 now and you will have the choice of interchangable lenses if you want it in the future. Small didgitals are nice but very limited on what you can do with them. The canon powershot 630 is a nice point and shoot and has video capability,but like all the other small point and shoot you are limited. If you want answers go to www.dpreview.com and look at the forums, there is nothing people cant answer.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If it's 10X Optical Zoom, it's ok. Digital zoom distorts the picture and is pixelated. At 10X you would also want to have an image stabilizer feature to reduce camera shake and blurry pictures.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I took a picture of an eagle on a windmill, got a nice widmill picture with a little black dot on top.

Same with the ducks in the bay, lovely water scene, little black dots floating around.

Get as much optical zoom as you can afford. You can do digital zoom with software. All it does is thin out the picture.

10 or 12 is what I want on my next camera. And, good point on the image stabilization. It's easy to shake at that magnification.

HM

14. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Back about 1 year ago I wanted a digital camera and studied them all but didn't want to spend a fortune either so I went with the Cannon 7.1 power shot A710 I.S.mega pixel with a 6x optical zoom at the time there wasn't many that had over 4x optical zoom also mine has something that is suppose to make the photo still even if you are shaking it is Image stablizer as Quack shot said above,anyway I have drove down the road before and took a picture while moving and the photo looks pretty good as where some camera's photo's would be a blurr when it was it was looked at.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/products/?action=view&current=canon710.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Another thing I wanted was a auctual view finder instead of just the digital screen on the back and that was also hard to find both features but im glad I got the one I have now because in the sun light it is real hard to see what you are taking a picture of just by the back display ok I paid 375.00 for mine back then but im sure they are out of date by now and around 200.00 bucks by now.

Foggy

15. ljutic73

My Panasonic LZ5 has 6MP and 6X optical zoom and does a pretty good job for a point and shoot...with a 1GB memory card it will take 345 high quality images...but I'm gonna sell it now 'cause I got a great deal on a dSLR so I went for it...plus my wife has a nice little Sony point and shoot and we don't need 2....

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

double trouble I bought a Canon Power Shot S5IS for about $350. It has 12X optical zoom and 4x digital zoom. It also has Macro and super Macro settings it is not that hard to find a camera that has plenty of optical zoom. Another good one is the Panasonic I have an older one Lumix with a 10X optical zoom. I have put an interesting website URL above it has reports on almost every digital camera.

Bob Lawless

PS The Canon is 8MP.

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

MIA I don't understand comment, if you are referring to the size of the camera it isn't much bigger than the one that Foggy posted above.

Bob Lawless

18. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I bought my wife a Kodak with 12X optical zoom with image stabilization for Christmas. It was around $225. 12X optical zoom nneeds to have TRUE image stabilization to give quality hand held photos at 12x. Unless you tripod mount your camera do not get one without TRUE image stabilization. Some cameras advertise image stabilization but it is digital and like digital zoom it is not what one needs.

19. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Double, it's hard to go wrong with most of the digi cameras today. I now have 4 and stick with Panasonic and Canon. As in trap guns, it's all about the person shooting it. Do yourself a huge favor and take a few classes with actual field experience. I got lucky and was accepted at a National Geographic workshop two years ago (Mexico) where we attended class from 8:00am-12:00 noon and then shot 150-200 shots the rest of the day. Following mornings were reviews and critiques and I tried to get "approval" on 2-3 keepers. I learned more in that week from true professionals that my previous 5 classes. Check out Nikon schools as they will make a real photographer out of you in a matter of days. Like trap, just practice shooting....lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.