1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Determining value of a Gibson Banjo

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shootrman, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Can anyone out there tell me how to determine the value of a Gibson Mastertone Banjo. I cant tell you much about it other than it has "Mastertone" and mother of pearl inlay on the neck. In very good shape and and has a number inside which I think is 828034. Everyone that looked at it has a different opinion. Some say Its an RB3, others say RB250. I dont play it and acquired it in a storage bin auction.Some have told me not to sell it for under $2500, but those have not offered to buy it. The ones that have offered just say They'd take it off my hands for a $100 or so. I'm not looking to make a million on the thing but I dont want to get ripped off either. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go to sell it. Ebay? Newspaper Classified? Craigslist? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

When you come to a price let me know. Go on E bay and see what they are going for. Bulge.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

$987 to $5200. Checked on E bay. That is the asking price. Bulge

4. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Sorry forgot to mention it was 5 string.
    Barrelbulge, thats what I am tryig to determine....a value, so that I can sell the thing. Not looking to make a killing on it. Where would a good place to go to sell it. I dont have any experience selling or buying on ebay. (heard to many nightmare stories)

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Can anyone tell me where to go to find out the model type or year it was built?

6. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Look here. www.earnestbanjo.com Has a bunch of info on all Gibson's.

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Thanks guys...I'll be checking it out.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Take it to a topnotch dealer and get it appraised. Some are very collectable.

9. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

All these sites talk about early model banjos like in the 1930's and I couldnt imagine it being that old because it looks like new and I bought it over 20 years ago at this storage unit deliquent sale in hopes that I'd learn to play it. But never had the drive and it sat in the closet until recently when the boss (we all know who they "think" they are) said I should get rid of the thing. I am assuming the numbers on the inside are the numbers that all these sites are talking about and it shows it would be between 1967-69. That would make it over twenty year old before I got it. Cant believe that. So how does one sell something without knowing something about it?
    SHANNON391---You mentioned a top notch dealer, I'm not musically knowledgeable and wouldnt know a top notch dealer if one kicked me. I feel ignorant when it comes to this subject and dont know anyone who plays an instrument well enough to ask musical questions too.

10. ledbet

ledbet Member

Email this guy: zackdeming@yahoo.com

His name is Zack Deming and he lives in Staunton, Virginia

He is as straight up a guy as you will find and is very knowledgeable on Gibson banjos.

In the email tell him Bill Ledbetter gave you his name. He will put you on the right path to what you have and what it is worth.

Bill

11. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

LEDBET, thank you so much. I will email him now. Thanks again

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I play a banjo. Go to Banjhangout.com. It is just like TS.com. You will find what you need. Janet Davis will be helpful also

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

I would email pictures to someplace reputable like Mandolin Brothers, Elderly Instruments, Gruhn Guitars etc. and see if they'd tell you anything. Those places deal in a lot of instruments and see a lot of them come and go. In fact, their websites (especially Elderly) have lots of used ones for sale with plenty of pictures you can compare with your banjo and get an idea of the value.

If you're in it for a quick sale, it is very rare that any old Gibson acoustic instrument in playing condition is worth less than $700~1,000, even if the condition is cosmetically very rough (in other words, don't sell it to the first person who offers you $300).

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Mandolin Brothers is the place for all vintage stringed instruments. They have an appraisal service. They have been very helpful to me. Here is the web site...
    http://www.mandoweb.com/

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I second Elderly bros, Also great for any high end repairs.

I once bought a 1962 Martin D-28 at a garage sale for $15, they appraised it at 2,800.

I gave it to a family member that will blow you away with his flatpicking or fingers style bluegrass.

16. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

SHANNON391: I love the song of Bluegrass and still continue to go to listen. Sure wish I could play what I have. But I must say thank you for everones help and it HAS BEEN VERY helpful. I've gone to the different avenues suggested and found out I have something to offer and decided to sell it for $2100.00 OBO plus shipping if not local. Pictures upon request. Thanks everyone.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I'm happy you came into a fine vintage piece!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.