1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Deer Tenderloin recipes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have a couple deer tenderloins that I don't know the best way to cook but I know some of you all do so how about some ideas pleases?

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

use any of the mccormics marinades, following the directons on the package. They are a dry mix that you add water and vineagar and oil to. Then just grill the tenderloin as you would a good steak. tremendous!! I like the montreal steak or the traditional mccormics for meat. Bill in MI

3. james dent

james dent TS Member

wrap in pepper bacon and rub with any spices you like and smoke it till it is done it great and you will love it

4. msmith

msmith Member

I like to use Pepsi or Coke as a marinade. Let is set overnight in the fridge. The acids in the pop help break down the meat and the sugar leaves a nice flavor. Mike

5. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Brown in a skillet with small amount of olive oil, than cover with cream of mushroom soup and bake at 375 for 35 min, do not over bake ..em-em good..

6. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Cut the tenderloin in 1/2 square pieces. Saute thinly sliced onions in butter for about 5 or 6 minutes just until the onions start to color add some sliced mushrooms and saute for another 2 or 3 minutes. Add the venison and keep stirring until the meat is all the same color (light gray). This should only take a couple of minutes. You want the venison just heated through. Put it on a plate and eat it. It doesn't get any better than this. Take all those marinades and save them for a tasteless piece of beef or pork. Why would you want to cover or disguise the taste of venison?

Ed

7. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

Butterfly the loin flat, season with your favs, spead cream cheese on one side, sprinkle halapeno slices on the cheese, wrap it back up and then bacon wrap it shut. grill on indirect heat for about 3 mins per side and enjoy.

8. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

We always grill our tenderloins - anything else seems like a waste. Marinade for an hour or so in a mixture of Italian salad dressing, a splash or two of soy sauce (to taste) and seasoning such as Montreal steak (to taste). Sear on grill for 1 minute on both sides, and remove tenderloins when they start firming up, depending on how rare you like them. We like our venison rare to medium rare. J

9. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I like to grill my backstraps. Marinade with one bottle of lowreys chipotle with lime marinade. Then add juice of one lime, add worchestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper (i like coarse ground) to taste. Let this marinade for at least 6 hrs. I like my backstraps cut to pieces about 4 inchs long. Then cook on a weber with fresh hot coals use your favorite wood chips for extra favor (I use pecan). Cook until about 160 deg with a meat thermometer, this is usually about 7 min per side, venison comes to temperature slower than beef because it does not have the fat in it that most beef has. Hmmmm goood.

Bob

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

If you're talking about actual tenderloin and not backstrap, it is an exceptional piece of meat. A friend of mine and I had some fresh the other day. I washed and dried it very well and chopped it very fine. Mixed it with minced onion and a little salt and pepper, dash of steak sauce. Serve on your favorite cracker and enjoy!! And no, didn't cook it at all. Bill in MI

11. laura!

laura! Member

Ed is right. Don't ruin your tenderloin with marinades, soup or any of that stuff. Tenderloin is already melt in your mouth good. Sauteed in butter with onions is fantastic. If I grill it, I like to slice it into 1" sections, wrap it in bacon and grill it over indirect heat. The bacon isn't for the flavor; its to keep the tenderloin juicy. Backstrap is different than tenderloin. It is also good wrapped in bacon and grilled.

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Tenderloins or back straps? Tenderloins are what the oldtimers called the 'fish'. Viewed from inside the body cavity they do look something like two fish laying next to the backbone.

They come out real easy without skinning, and are the first thing I take out of deer. No butcher gets my deer with the 'fish' still in them. There is no need to 'age' them and they can be prepared and served the first night, sort of like the oldtimers did with venison liver and heart. I've never had much success with liver and heart, so tenderloin is our first venison meal.

It's a real tender piece of meat and it's good however it's done. I've crock-potted it whole, fried it whole and sliced into "silver dollars", and tossed the whole thing on George Foreman. 'Silver dollars' with onions and bacon is good and easy and can be done in camp, even a tent camp.

No need for a saltwater or marinade soak, though a couple hours in the frig with a salt or salt/spice rub helps a bit.

If broiled, wrap in bacon. If I do George Foreman again, I'll wrap the whole tenderloin in bacon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.