1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Cuban Cigars, which ones?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

In a few weeks I'll have a chance to buy some real Cuban cigars. I'm not a frequent cigar smoker, but enjoy a good mild or medium cigar. I'm wondering if any of the cigar aficiandos here have smoked real Cubans and, if so, which ones you might recommend.

Any input welcome.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The ones you smoke when SCUBA diving!

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Gene ... from where will you be purchasing them from? If your traveling how do you know they will be legitimate? You must be careful where you buy from because there are many fakes out there.

Now if your not a frequent cigar smoker save your money and buy what you can get here. Granted Illinois is not a very friendly tobacco state and have some high taxes but from the selection at various tobacconists in the area and depending on where your purchasing from will be far far cheaper.

Now for the legalities of it all ... you are aware that no matter where you are in the world it is against the law for you to partake in the forbidden fruit of Cuba. You are not allowed to purchse or support in any way shape or form Cuba so if you do purchase or do consume you are in violation of US law.

4. speedytt

speedytt TS Member

be careful of fakes. Takes a trained eye to spot them.

I have smoked some cubans and really don't have the taste buds to tell the difference. Really enjoy a Hemingway short story and haven't found a cigar that is much better than that and I have smoked Padron 1924s and others. Only smoked for a few months and just not my thing. So my opinion is only based on a few months of smoking. Might smoke one or two cigars a year.

5. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I am a long time cigar lover. First the caveot: Cohiba cigars from Cuba have not ever nor will they ever, come in a glass covered box. Second, if you are in the Bahamas and a shop advertizes Cohibas, run don't walk in the opposite direction. Those will more than likely be fakes. Now that being said, La Gloria Cubana would be a good bet. When you buy, buy the thinner ring size such as 48 or 46 and keep the smoke short. I say this because Cuban cigars are very strong (or so say new smokers) and I think you'll enjoy the smoke more if your head isn't spinning. :)

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Santa Rosa from Honduras beats any Cuban cigar. The Cuban cigars are highly overrated (IMO).

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have many Cubans but no longer smoke them ( they are in a good automatically controlled humidor). There are some really good ones but the Nicarguan cigars are actually as good as or better. A Padron Anniversario can be purchased here in the states and is a very mild and wonderful cigar. Most Cubans in places like Mexico, Bahamas etc are most likely counterfeit. As far as my favorite Cuban it would be Partagas or La Gloria. As stated above, most Cubans are very strong

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can buy the real thing in some of the finer shops in London. Kind of like going into the Purdy showroom.

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Hi Gene,

The only place that you can guarentee the purchase of authentic cuban cigars is at a "Casa del Habanos." There is a list of authorized dealers on the hababos website posted above.

http://www.habanos.com/distributors.aspx?lang=en

Please don't waste your money trying to purchase cigars at any other place. A cuban cigar is a very unique experience. Yes there are many great cigars from other places around the world, and each has it's unique place. Tastes vary from person to person, so the only way to know if you like cuban cigars is to try them for yourself.

Some benchmark cigars to try:

Hoyo de Monterrey Double Coronas (double corona size)

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #2 (robusto size)

Cohiba Robusto (robusto size)

Montecristo #2 (torpedo)

Partagas Lusitanias (double corona size)

Partagas 898 Varnished (dahlia size)

Bolivar Belicosos Fino (belicosos, like a small torpedo)

Bolivar Petite Coronas (petite corona size)

H Upmann Sir Winstons (churchill size)

H Upmann #2 (torpedo)

Punch Churchills (churchill size)

Romeo y Julietta Churchills (churchill size)

If you try these cigars, you will get a good idea about the different tastes and sizes that are available. As a more experienced cigar smoker, you will eventually gravitate to certain sizes that meet your time and flavor needs. For example, I love "lonsdale" or "dahlia" sizes, as well as churchill, coronas and torpedos.

-Aaron

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Gene:

When I was in Cabo, I had some very mild Partagas Red Label. They were modestly priced ($10), but a tremendously enjoyable smoke in a 650.

Jay

11. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Avaldes posted a great list.
    Right now there are so many GREAT Nicarguan and
    Dominican cigars that we are literally experiencing the Golden Age of Cigars.

There are many great $3-$6 sticks out there like never before; Padrons are always a winner, Perdomo Habano;s, Perdomo Lot 23's, CAO, Most anything from Rocky Patel, Oliva , Camacho, Partagas, Monte Cristo, Don Pepin, etc.

In the $8-$10 range the Padron 1926's and Padron 1964's. Two of THE finest offerings right now. Also in this price range and all excellent.... Tatueje, San Cristobal, and Illusione.

The key is to buy online from Cigar International, Atlantic Cigars, Famous Smoke Shop to name a few. Here in MT we have a 50% tobacco tax. by buying online I save a ton of maoney. Allows me to smoke high end sticks for $4-$6 a pop that would be unaffordable in a smoke shop here at home.

DO BEWARE of cubans when at Resorts or any Tourist Destination. Generally they are fakes.

FN in MT

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

FN makes a good point. Cubans are over-rated, and as a new smoker you will find a better bang for the buck on line.

I like the CAO Gold for a mild smoke.

The Onyx Reserve is a nice cigar with more omph.

Do not overlook the bargains - there are some good smokes under $5 a stick and in the end it is what you enjoy that matters - not what label you are showing off.

I have smoked 5 real Cubans and cannot justify the expense. Try a few and convince yourself.

Don

13. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

My favorite cigar regardless of country of origin is one that is consumed down wind from me..........way down wind.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Copenhagen.....

Curt

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Gene, Glad to see you posting I hope your well. As for my choice a Montecristo very nice or the Cohiba or Partagas are all good choices.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I'll smoke the Padron.

17. Avaldes

Cigars are another great hobby/obsession. You can go as crazy as you want with cigars. If the intent is to have some nice smokes while on vacation, you can buy domestics locally (good to support the local shop), or shop at a La Casa del Habanos at your destination.

Cuban vs non-cuban is a debate like 8's vs 7.5's. There is no accounting for personal taste. Everyone is different, and often people base their opinions on fake cuban cigars. It takes quite a bit of experience to spot a fake. In today's world, you often see fake cigars in authentic boxes with authentic bands. The ONLY way to know for sure what you have is to buy cigars from an authorized dealer, and build a personal relationship with them.

If you want to get into cigars as a hobby, there are some great cigar boards out there with a wealth of knowledge available. I used to frequent the Fuente Cigarfamily website for many years. I made some great friends and learned more about cigars than I can believe. I have had some great cigar adventures because of my good friends:

www.cigarfamily.com

-Aaron

18. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Wow. So many comments. And all informative. Thanks guys.

Let me allay some justifiable cautions many of you posted. A trusted friend may travel to London and would assuredly be shopping at either the Davidoff store or the Dunhill store on James St.; yes, similar to visiting Purdey's. I believe the Dunhill store is the one that still has Winston Churchill's chair there - roped off in silent tribute to a great man who loved a good cigar. Anyway, I have little doubt that these 2 very reputable stores would sell anything but real Habanos. Beyond that, "I know nothing" said Sgt. Schultz.

I also understand that there are many fine cigars from other places and I've tried a few of those, and will continue to do so. Given the chance to smoke a few Cubans and form my own opinion, I thought it'd be a kick to try some. If possible, I intend to buy a mix of different brands. At the rate of a cigar a week, a box sampler would last me quite a while.

To those who commented about my health, I thank everyone for their prayers and good wishes. I admit to being remiss in not posting any updates, mainly because there has been little to report. That in itself is, I suppose, good news. Since the surgery last December, I have had follow-up blood tests every 3 months and all is normal. I feel fine and am shooting weekly. I have also assumed the job of Office Manager for our Congressman, who is running for re-election. I am seeing a whole different side of politics and it's very interesting. That keeps me pretty busy and I'm very glad I can help him - he's one of the good guys.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've smoked a couple of "Cubans" and wasn't that impressed. Maybe I was expecting too much. You know the old saying - "anticipation is better than participation". Or they could of been counterfeits. A friend of mine brought several Romeo & Juliet’s home from London and gave them to me. He said he purchase them from a smoke shop recommended by the hotel concierge. I wasn’t impressed. He let it slip once what he paid for them. Dam!! I wouldn’t of paid that much.

My favorites: Fuente Churchill maduro, Camacho, Rocky Patel 1990, CAO, Montecristo.

Where do you guys purchase your cigars? I have a couple of local smoke shops that are good but they are overpriced. I have been ordering mine through the internet. No sales tax, and sometimes free shipping. Try www.holts.com or www.jrcigars.com

20. Avaldes

The UK is a VERY expensive country for cigar buying. There are some great old shops in London (Davidoff, Dunhill, JJ Fox), but they are all subject to the UK tobacco tax, which is about 100%. Other countries like Spain, Switzerland and Germany have a better tax structure on cigars and prices are quite a bit lower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.