1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - crossbow info?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AveragEd, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm about to purchase a crossbow and have narrowed the choices down to a Parker Terminator Outfitter package with a 175-pound draw weight and a triple Red Dot scope. Does anyone know of any reason I shouldn't buy this bow?

I selected it because it's light compared to many other brands (6-3/4 pounds) and has a crisp, almost travel-free trigger system and a bunch of other good-sounding features. Some of the others I looked at weighed more than a centerfire rifle, had stiff, creepy triggers and sounded like a 22LR going off. I just want to check with others who may know more about these things than I do (and that wouldn't take much).

Ed

2. POWDER RIVER

POWDER RIVER TS Member

The red-dot sight is not the way to go. Consider a scope for less than ideal light conditions.

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

ED at the range you would use a cross bow light is not the problem. the three dot red dot sight is more than accurate enough. am using a norton xbow with this set up and it is more than accurate enough plus it gives you the ability to shoot with both eyes open which helps with target aquisition. P.S. be sure to do all you can to keep the thing quiet. they make more noise than you realize or would suspect that they would i can put three inside 2 inches at 50 yds with my 3 dot give it a try.
    good luck bob

4. josh b

josh b TS Member

do you have a medical reason for the crossbow? I have found 2 deer this year in my journeys in the woods all with crossbow arrows in them sounds like a good reason to me to rethink the crossbow idea.

5. AveragEd

I have arthritis pretty bad, especially in my shoulders and hips. I've tried drawing my son's 70-pound/30-inch bow and can't handle the pain even at about 50% draw.

I know what you guys are saying about noise. I test-fired a TenPoint and a Horton and both sounded like a 22LR handgun going off. The Parker Super Magnum I fired was much quieter but I didn't care for the stock shape. I did like the trigger on the Parker and the rubber butt pad kept it from sliding around on my shoulder. The others had hard plastic butt plates with rounded edges, so a rubber pad couldn't be added without having a lot of grabby "edges" exposed.

I bought a Parker Terminator Outfitter package last night after test-firing it. It's quieter than the rest I tried and shot three of the 125-grain field tip arrows that came with it into an inch at 25 yards. For $409.99, I think it'll serve me well enough.

The one I bought is a 150-pound bow. No one around here stocks Parkers in 175-pound, so I called Parker to see why. A really nice guy named Doug helped me and said that the 175-pound models only add 20FPS to the arrow speed, aren't quite as accurate as the 150s and tend to wear parts faster. What also sold me was him telling me that none of their employees hunt with a 175. It's also a little easier to cock and I can do that with the rope device pretty easily.

Thanks for all the help. We have an archery/flintlock deer season opening December 26th and running through January 12th, so I'll give it a try then.

Ed

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ed.....you gonna shoot trap with a Crossbow? Man....that's going some!

7. T/C

T/C TS Member

What broadhead to you plan on using Ed? I shoot a 150 lb. Horton and have had great sucess with New Archery Products, 100 grain Spitfire, mechanical. I prefer the hardened chisel point over the blade point. Both work well, however the chisel point will penetrate and break the shoulder bone should you pull you shot forward a tad. I have killed 7 deer with the NAP Spitfires, longest shot was 37 yards and have had clean pass thru every time. They have never failed to open, fly like a field point, and leave a 1 1/2" exit hole. Deer shot behind the shoulder, thru both lungs leave a massive blood trail, None have gone over 60 yards. But to each his own, just thought I'd share that with you. I'm zero'd @ 20 yards, 40 yards being my max. "will take" broadside shot. Good hunting, T.

8. jimx200

jimx200 Member

This deer hunting season we saw a sad sight...a fork horn buck walking around with a cross bow arrow stuck in his lower chest area. If you plan on taking game, make darn sure your gun/bow has enough killing power. On our Iowa farm, no one is allowed on shooting crossbows.

9. AveragEd

I don't know what broadhead I'll use yet. My son is the family spear-chucking expert, so I defer that sort of thing to him. I know he likes some brand of mechanical broadhead that "opens from the rear," whatever that means, but he thinks they are only available in 100-grain. It might be SpitFire - that sounds familiar.

Doug at Parker told me that their crossbows like 125-grain heads best and that's the weight of the field tips that came with the bow. Doug also told me that their bows shoot mechanical heads more accurately than fixed broadheads. The store I bought it from sighted it in for me - with a 25-yard zero, it shoots one inch high at 20 yards and three inches low at 30 yards.

I'm looking forward to using it. I've always had a desire to take up archery but couldn't draw the bows and crossbows weren't legal for hunting in Pennsylvania without a medical permit until a couple of years ago.

Jim, I know what you're saying and respect your words completely. Pennsylvania requires crossbows to have at least a 125-pound draw weight and I checked with some local archery hunters who tell me that 125-grain heads at 320 FPS generates plenty of energy for deer. But as with anything else, it's where you hit them, not what you hit them with.

Ed

10. T/C

T/C TS Member

Jimx200. There are certainly poor shots in any form of hunting, and those that take shots that should not be taken. That said, if the fork horn was walking about, how do you know it was a crossbow bolt and not an arrow from a compound or long bow? Was the deer that close that you could actually see the nock? Either way, I hope you did the right thing and put him down. You did do that, put him down, right? Thanks, T.

11. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Ed, have you delt with the Game Commission yet? Was wondering because I'm in the same situation and I just got the form to send in. I'll go see the Dr. in a week or so then get it mailed in. I wonder how long the process will take. Missed this years early bow season so I hope to have it all set for next season. Mike

12. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

I thought I "heard" around our camp this year that they are legal for anyone in PA. Didn't read it myself and don't shoot one so I didn't check it out. Good luck with it Ed, Let us know how you make out. Forgot to mention that one of our guys uses a Horton and likes it. Man they really move the arrow (bolt) off the bow fast but lose steam fast also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.