1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Coyote in suburbs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tripdog7, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tripdog7

tripdog7 TS Member

Just read an article in the local paper about coyoytes moving into Metro Detroit. I'm in the country and have seen a few in the last few years, where's I've never seen one in the 30+ years before that that I've been here.

I figure some of you trapshootes live in areas where there are alot of coyotes.... so question, other than a few wandering cats and small dogs... is there any reason to be concerned as this article states? Or is it just a bunch of city-slickers worrying about nothing?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

We have a Wildlife City Committee to handle the problems here with white tail and mule deer, and mountain lions. Oh, yes, they shot a wandering moose here a couple of years ago much to the chagrin of the public.

Real problems are the mountain lions coming into the neighborhoods and killing the pets.

WW - Rapid City SD

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

We have a lot of coyotes in Washington. We have two large Jack Russel terriers and the coyotes do not bother us much. With two or more dogs they are much less likely to attack.

4. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

The Urbanization of America will continue and this problem will grow. The problem is that the ignorant city dewllers get his and her panties in a was when you end up having to kill animals that he or she thinks cute and cuddly but in fact are quite dangerous and in a pack you are just part of the food chain.....

Ronbo

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Coyotes are as common a sight as a golf cart where I live in Arizona ... I actually have one that camps out under a citrus tree in my back yard to get out of the blistering sun of the desert ... They are very smart and are people shy for the most part though there have been cases where they have actually grabbed a pet that was on a leash as the owner was walking their pets ... They snatch and grab without missing a step and all you can do is wave good bye to your little FiFi as it is carted off to be dinner for the big bad Coyotes ... There is a stiff fine if they catch you shooting the Coyotes right where I live, key word being "catch" if you know what I mean ... I have yet to shoot one in my back yard but you never know, you know ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. tripdog7

tripdog7 TS Member

How about dangers to children? I have a 2 year old and 6-month old. I obviously wouldn't let them play unattended in the yard, but certainly a 7 or 8 year old would be playing in the woods, creeks, field, etc... like I did at that age. Any real concerns to them? A nice .223 shot off the back deck would be fine with me, if the dangers were real.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would imagine if a Coyote can grab it and run with it anything or anyone would be in danger of being taken by a desparate Coyote ... I have heard stories about Coyotes grabbing babies but none of the stories have been validated though I wouldn't take the chance ... I was told of a couple of ladies walking their pets not far from where I live and a pack of Coyotes ran past them and grabbed one of the ladies pets, leash and all and never missed step while doing it ... I see them walking down the street 3 or 4 at a time right past my house ... They must like the "Jacks" around here because they are constantly chasing them down ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Hey we've had in downtown Chicago and they roam my area in the burbs regualarly.

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

In Troy (Michigan, Rochester & Long Lake) we have deer and fox, and of course skunks (human and animal) and opossum and racoons. I guess the animals aren't as fussy as to their neighbors as we pretend to be, eh?

10. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

dingo's ate my lil brother while parents were vacationing in austrailia.

hog's ate another brother of mine, damn now that was a funny scene, you just had to be there to see the humor in that one.

11. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I saw on the news that they are now in the beltway of Washington DC. Thats the 4 leg kind not the 2 leg kind. They are everywhere you look.

12. Maumee River Rat

Maumee River Rat Member

Tripdog7,go to http://www.varmintal.com/attac.htm.Very interesting reading.I hunt yotes in the winter with hounds, our group just had the best year ever.We killed 66,and AJ's group killed 68.We are only 25 miles at the most from AJ.By the way we did get 7 of them in the city limits. Take care Ed

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

tripdog7 you asked "How about dangers to children?" all I can say to that is you are talking about a wild animals. That means anything is possible the above website has some interesting reading. Now remember the stories are from different newspapers so you have to keep a sharp eye on the stories to sift through their ignorance.

Bob Lawless

14. a budine

a budine Member

Within the last two months - not sure of the date - a 'yote snatched a 10 month old in a back yard - his older brother kicked and chased it away - the little one suffered a couple deep fang bites and some scrapes - the yote came back after the father also - reported on NYC news stations. We have lots of them around here in upstate - make interesting targets.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

One was captured in Central Park NYC a few years ago. Quite an adaptable animal who's average weight is about 35 lbs!!

16. tripdog7

tripdog7 TS Member

Dumb question, what do you do with a dead coyoyte? Is there anything usable? Maybe a neat trapper hat?

17. tripdog7

tripdog7 TS Member

Dumb question, what do you do with a dead coyoyte? Is there anything usable? Maybe a neat trapper hat?

18. $andbagger

$andbagger TS Member

Here in Montana a nice dried hide will sell for $40 or more to the fur buyer. I'm not sure where they end up now. Russia used to buy them and now I'm guessing China. I think they use them for the fur on winter coats.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We have urban coyotes in the Portland area. A few years back one got run over at the NE 60th street exit on I-84. That's in the heart of suburban Portland. People in the West Hills constantly complain about coyotes and owls nabbing Fifi and Fluffy.<br>
    <br>
    I love coyote hunting. There's a neverending supply of them!<br>
    <br>
    Here's my "up close and personal" coyote gun. Rem 1187 with Trijicon night sights.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Brian...what load are you putting in them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.