1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Couple of car questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hey everybody, I just bought a 1992 Geo Metro, with 77,xxx miles as a second car. I have a couple of questions for anyone who is interested in responding. First, the car has a tendency to throw the alternator belt, for no reason, the belt doesn't break it just throws the belt. Any suggestions? Now, for number 2, I asked the guy I bought the car from what kind of oil he put in the car, he said he always took the car to a Valvoline instant oil change center, and it had one of those window stickers on the windshield. I have always heard to try to run the same type of oil in the car that it is used to. What do you all think, if not what kind of high-milage oil do you recommend. Thanks everybody!

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check to see if it is the right belt. Check the pulley alignment, check for bent pulley, and check the pulley shaft for in and out play. With the engine running check to see if there is any wobble.

Any good oil will do and don't forget to change the filter. HMB

3. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Check the belt tension ; check to see if the pulleys are damaged , bent ;check to see if the pulleys are in the same "plane" ; look at the "teeth on the belt .Check to be sure that the belt is the correct size . If your Metro uses a spring loaded tensioner , check that .

You may need to have an alternator/starter shop check to see if the alternator is turning freely at higher engine RPM .

I think the preference to stay with the same brand of oil probably started because of the difference in the types of "oil bases" in motor oil . One of the "real" gear heads can probably give a more accurate opinion , but , if continuing with Valvoline is convenient and cost effective , I wouldn't change but , if some over-riding condition were present , I wouldn't hesitate to use a similar based oil and if that --yadayada -- I go with the cheapest name brand motor oil .

If you have the money , you might want to check with Tech Service to see their recommendation on synthetic -- especially if you live in a state that can provive exhause analysis and/or you have access to maintenance records from the previous owner and can jusge engine wear/oil consumption .

Charlie

4. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Thanks! Anybody else????

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

As far as the belt problem, you either have a bent pully or the wrong sized belt. A qualified wrench should be able to spot this pretty quickly.

Run what ever oil that you want to as long as it has the proper ratings, this is usually stated on the oil cap. Make sure to change your oil regularly. The small displacement engine in your car works quite hard and needs the attentative servicing.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.