1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Cosmoline

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DHS, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHS

DHS Member

I have been looking to buy some Cosmoline. It seems that all sources are out so I suspect there is some problem with it environmentally. Not really sure. I want to use it to prevent rust on some outdoor equipment. I can not even find the old style wheel bearing grease which was thick and would stand up to water etc. All the new greases are thin to pass through a grease gun. Any suggestions on purchase at a reasonable price or alternatives is appreciated.

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Shell makes a water proof grease that is red . Oil/ fuel suppliers in you area best bet

3. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Ebay, every once in a while I see a large tub for sale

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

It was used quite a bit in general aviation for aircraft cables. The last can I had was from a company called Black Bear but I gave it to some buddys who were using it on floatplane rigging. Aircraft supply place may have some or something better.

5. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

TECTYL 846, CLASS I
    MIL-PRF-16173E, Grade 4 Class 1

Corrosion Preventive Compound / Cosmoline

Description:
    Tectyl 846 (Grade 4, Class 1) is a modern version of the World War II cosmoline type corrosion preventative. Technically, it is a solvent cutback, water-displacing corrosion preventative compound that leaves a coating that can be described as amber in color, translucent, waxy and "non-tacky". Tectyl 846 is available in aerosol cans exclusively through F&L Petroleum Products. Tectyl 846 is a Qualified Products List (QPL) product.

http://www.mil-specproducts.com/productPage.aspx?prodID=446&gclid=CLespZmtw5oCFQFqxwod7RY7rQ

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

LPS-1- Spray it on thick and it will dry into a greasy film. Works fantastic.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I checked Brownells and found this,,,When the manufacturer of Cosmoline® discontinued the product, we were shocked because we know many folks still consider it the best thing around for protecting guns from rust during long-term storage. Fortunately, we now have a substitute that works every bit as well as the original. Brownells Rust Veto .....

8. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Depending on your intended use a bottle or two of lee bullet liquid tumble lube

might do the trick. It is actually a rust proofing compound.

tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.