1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Copy your wallet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Advice based on having had my wallet stolen last week. Go to a copier with your wallet. Make a copy of everything in it. File it somewhere in case your wallet is lost or stolen. I'm still remembering stuff that I had in it. Huge hassle.

I'd be a felon if I went trapshooting tomorrow. Theoretically, I'm a felon now because I have guns in my house and no FOID card. I'm in Illinois and, until last Tuesday, had a valid FOID card (set for expiration in 2013). When my wallet was stolen that day, according to the State Police, my existing card MUST be cancelled and I MUST apply for a new card, as though I never had one. That process is currently running nearly 60 days. Harumph......

Bear in mind that the same day my wallet was stolen, I walked into the Secretary of State's Office and in 10 minutes had a replacement driver's license.

Conclusion: The State of Illinois is OK with me driving a 5,000 lb vehicle at speeds up to 70 mph with all the attendant risks; BUT they are not OK with me carrying my shotgun to and from the trap club.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Took your advice and my wife and I made copies.

Thanks Gene for this info.

Bud and Char

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Gene,

It would be helpful to learn how your wallet was stolen. I sometimes worry about misplacing my wallet but I seldom worry about it being stolen.

Jim Skeel

4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Went in to a convenience store to buy a paper. Took my wallet out to pay and then realized I had silver, so I set the wallet on the counter. Paid with silver, picked up the paper and absent mindedly left the wallet on the counter. 10 minutes later I was at another store and realized my mistake. I backtracked and when I got to the convenience store and asked the clerk if he'd picked up my wallet, he said "No, someone was just here, said it was his and walked out."

Wallet stolen. My own fault for leaving it behind. In the time I was gone, there must have been 5-10 other people at that counter who might have seen it. Wouldn't you imagine 1 of them would ask the clerk what it was doing there? And, if I worked there and saw a wallet sitting on my counter, I'd sure as heck pick it up and call the owner. We live in a different world.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

All stores have cameras nowdays.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Be careful where you copy the contents, some copiers have memories that store images, you could make nice copies for someone else to see, take a digital photo of the contents, as well as contents of a gun case when flying! Fc

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

shannon91t:
    Yeah, the convenience store has a camera and the police were able to get a photo. So far, that camera photo hasn't been ID'd, so my wallet is still missing.

A similar thing happened to me 6 years ago in a restaurant. The perps went to Best Buy and a bunch of gas stations. The police said the CAMERAS at Best Buy were so bad, all the videos were too grainy to ID anyone. So, please don't tell us that all stores have cameras as though it's some sort of magic solution or that the existence of cameras diminishes the problems. Fact is, I've spent way more time this past week getting things straight than I needed to.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.