1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T contractor clean up.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by johnboy, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnboy

johnboy Member

I have been on this site for several years and recognize a very diverse bunch and I imagine there are several contractors who view this site. I am currently having siding replaced on a house and it is creating a substantial pile of trash which will need to be hauled to the land fill. My question is who normally takes care of this? We did not discuss this up front but I am inclined to believe the contractor should take care of the scrap removal. I certainly want to be fair about this and I would like to have an idea what the normal arrangement is before I discuss this with the contractor. Thanks

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was in the window and remodeling business for 40 years. It is the contractors responsibility unless called out otherwise in the contract. Bulge.

3. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

The siding contractor should be responsible for clean up. If he says he isn't don't pay him. Why should someone else clean up his mess? And never hire him again. Not keeping a clean job site would reflect the Quality of there work in my opinion.

I am a contractor and i see this all the time. Good contractors always clean up there job sites. It's part of the job.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Well I have been in business for 30yrs. You said there is a mounting pile. My guess is he is not a very good contractor. How long has he been around? Did you have a contract? Who bought the material? On a remodle job I have a dumpster on site. If he is working "out of the back of his truck" you will probley clean it up. But it dont hurt to ask now. rick

5. johnboy

johnboy Member

No contract was signed but only 30% of the money has changed hands so I have the leverage. Thanks for taking time to respond-shoot well.

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

NO--contract---usually means no license & the contractor is most likely a moonlighter. If your state requires a license for your type of work, you are in charge. Especially in Fl. I was an electrical contractor in NJ. Every thing had to be in writing. If the 30% was for startup---means the contractor has no credit with his suppliers. Was he the lowest bidder? By how much? Think you usually get what you pay for.

Phil Berkowitz

7. johnboy

johnboy Member

30% was given to to the contractor when 90% of the work was completed. He was not low bidder and the trash has been removed by the contractor. Thanks again for taking time to respond.

8. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Did you get Certificate of Insurance? Does he have Liability and Workman's Comp insurance? If he doesn't and he damages your neighbors property, you are on the hook for it. If he doesn't have Workman's Comp and he gets hurt you'll be supporting him for the rest of your life. Can't emphasize this enough always get COI's!

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My contracts asways include: Clean site, remove all debris.

10. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

Does your contractor speak English?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.