1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Concrete Floor Paint Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by otnot, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

I use polyurethane paint with a hardener. Make sure the surface is free of oils and dirt. The last time I painted I used a nibbler that etched the surface. But I think you could use Muratic Acid prior to painting and get the same effect.

2. jwise

jwise TS Member

The Polyurethrane paint mentioned in the last post is good, If I were to use it, I would go to Lowes and get some of the sand grit for paint as the polyurethrane is very glossy (and slick without it).Once you add the grit to the paint and put it down it won't be slippery even when wet. As mentioned above, etch the floor with Hcl acid before painting and make sure the floor is completely dry. I wouldn't park a car on it for 2 weeks after painting so as to give the paint plenty of time to cure.

Another alternative is concrete stain, which I prefer to paint in a garage, I believe it lasts longer and you don't have to be so careful in preparing the floor. My opinion, hope this helps. Jwise

3. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

finally something i know lol i paint floors at work all the time first off dont just paint use muratic acid to etch floor then go to a paint store not just menards they will have floor paint but the best is have them mix up grey line paint either way get good stuff with hardener this is if its not real high traffic i found in the janitorial closets at work nothing held up with stuff getting spilled and lots of traffic i just stripped what paint was left on those used a sealer on the concrete and just put wax like they use on tile at walmart it takes about 3 coats of sealer and 5 of wax 1st time around really soaks in but looks really nice

4. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I painted my woodshop floor with Rustoleum Epoxy Shield Garage Floor Coating Kit, it went on great and looks great, and it takes about 2 gal. For 500sq/ft, (about a 2 car garage) that is what you get in the large kit. Any of the big box stores carry it. You might want to look at Behr and Quikrete, about the same.. Just like Ford vs. Chevy or Kolar vs. Krieghoff, you get the idea….Grubby

5. I.L.M.Ljutic

I.L.M.Ljutic Member

Would you guys recommend these same kinds of paints for a concrete porch which is exposed to weather?
    Arthur Bodell

6. cotradbow

cotradbow TS Member

I work in the construction industry, and have concrete crews. This is an

amazing product, http://www.getnewlook.com/. We put this on a commercial,

outdoor public area that gets skateborders and alot of water. It's been on a

year so far with no fading, peeling or anything else. I just purchased some

for my garage. Check it out, not too hard to apply, no acid etching and it's

water based.
    Tom

7. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Clean the floor and buy the Rustoleum Epoxy.

Polyurethrane is expensive and too slick.

Art- Outside is tough to keep. Use Sherwin William's Industrial Enamel> No big deal to touch up.

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I used U Coat It. Great stuff. It is the only one that I could find that goes on wet with water. ALL of the others say dry floor and what is dry??About 225.00 for the average 2 car garage. Check it out. I would not use the sand in the mix as it is too hard to wipe the floor when it is dirty. I did not use the flex or the clear coat on mine. I see no need for it. Only a money maker for the company. Mine has been down for two years and looks great. It comes with the complete kit and instructions. check their web site for all the details. motordoc

9. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

I used Musclegloss from Motor City Flooring. It's been down five years and looks great. It's a two part 100 % solids epoxy prep is important with any of them. If you want it to last use epoxy........if you want it to shine use the epoxy.......if you want to be non slippery use the flec.

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Some time back I was looking at the Rustoleum Epoxy for my basement floor and spoke with a painter,not a clerk, at the store. I asked him about using the grit and he said to definately use it. the Epoxy is just too slick without it, especially on a garage floor. He said the only drawback is when using a dust mop on it. The grit makes the dust mop drag. IMHO not using the grit on a garage floor is just like troweling the concrete too much and having a dance floor surface in the garage. Just asking for a broke hip or worse when snow melt or just plain water is present. I guess the plain Epoxy would be fine in Arizona or New Mexico. Bill

11. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Bill, The Rustoleum epoxy comes with paint chip sprinkle bags that you apply as you go and you don't need the sand grit. Mops up well too. I use it in my shop and we don't slip around. Eric

12. DocJim

DocJim Member

While we are on the topic what is the best way to remove old paint? I have tried sanders (burned up 2), Sherwin-Williams paint stripper, and power washer all to no effect. Grinder of some kind? Some type of commercial stripper I don't know about? Thanks.
    Jim

13. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

What surface are you stripping the from and what type of paint are you trying to remove? Steel, wood concrete? Oil or latex paint?

14. DocJim

DocJim Member

Surface is concrete; paint, I'm not sure; it was a special paint for concrete.
    Jim G

15. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Jim,

It sounds like epoxy or maybe even urethane paint in which case you may need to have it “shot blasted”. Shot blasting will leave a scruffy surface if left un-coated but an excellent surface for re-coating.

Shot blasting is also expensive. Once you have painted concrete this is about your only true option if you are wanting the original concrete finish. You can even have the concrete stained as you may have seen in some stores where it looks some what antiqued or distressed.

Having it re-surfaced with a planetary grinder is another option but also expensive. It depends where you live, who is available & what they charge. In some cases you can damn near have it replaced.

Stonhard is a company that I suggest to my industrial customers. They shot blast and put down a hardener mix that is power troweled on to the surface and a sealer is applied. It runs about $15.00 sq. ft. in large areas.

http://www.stonhard.com/

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.