1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Computer Virus Removal/Protection

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cableguy, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

My daughter's computer seems to have picked up a virus. I gave her a MacAffe free trial that I had sitting around but, it's nut cutting the mustard. After reading here about Norton and MacAfee, I thought that I would put it out here to the experts. I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread either.

Cost is an issue also. Daughter has a Pentium 4 platform with Windows sp2.

What would you all recommend for virus protection, firewall, spyware removal? As far as spyware goes, I'm a big fan of Ad-Aware.

As soon as my Norton expires, I'll be looking for something different too.

Thanks in advance for all of the advice.

Shawn

2. tp

tp TS Member

The local computer guru recommended Kaspersky anti-virus. Have been very happy with it. They do automatic updates whenever they need to, not once a day. I used to have the Norton suite, got rid of it and my system (with XP and sp2) runs faster with far fewer problems.

3. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

My daughter's computer isn't connected to my little home network. She lives in a different location. Her virus protection isn't up to date. Hence the virus. Mrs. cableguy and I both currently use Norton but are contemplating a change for the same reasons listed in the previous thread. A mild correction though. She's using Windows XP sp2. I forgot the XP part earlier. Blame it on the World Series, I guess.
    Please keep the opinions coming.

Thanks

Shawn

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I just finished two days of ad-ware removal from our pc. One of the kids downloaded an active-x, and the war with the ads started.

I've got the free version of ad-aware and the professional version. The problem I was having was while Ad-Aware was removing the crap, the adware was reloading itself right away.

I did a search on the web and found a site that helped explain how to rid your pc of the stubborn adware.

I had to disconnect from the internet and run the Ad-Aware. I would keep rerunning it until it showed no ads. Then rebooted and ran it again, then rebooted and ran again. After 7 times, yes seven, I eventually found nothing hiding.

I then ran my Norton. I went into the settings, and set it so that it would find even the most harmless viruses.

Things are clean now. A new password has been added to prevent "unauthorized" access, by the kids.

Do a quick search in google for adware and virus protection. Look for those sites that are not part of a "protection" company.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

GunDr

Be sure to disable the system restore function before scanning and cleaning. It will probably erase your restore points, so read up on it before doing so. Some of these bugs can live on, in the restore files on your drive. Purge all of the temporary internet files and look for other temp files to purge (Windows\Temp etc.). You should also probably also boot into "safe mode" and run the scan that way. A good FREE antivirus would be AVAST or Grisoft AVG. A decent firewall would be the free version of the Zone Alarm firewall. There are others, but I've used these with decent results. There are a host of decent on-line scanners that you could use also. Here's a URL for some links: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17805225/ Not all of the on-line scanners will remove viruses. Trend Micro has worked pretty well in the past. Some companies even offer a free removal tool for some of the most common bugs.

Another issue are "Rootkits". Some scanners look for them and some are not very effective. There is one called "blacklight" that is a stand alone scanner. It may not still be available, since the company had plans to incorporate it into their Software Suite and discontinue the stand alone version. It was there a couple of weeks ago. The Trend Micro "House Call" free online scanner claims to include a rootkit scanner as well.

You also need to look for any rogue Browser add-ons or hijackers. If you suspect that there is a problem there, you can download a program called "HiJack This" and post your log file on one of the forums for assistance in determining whether you have a problem and how to fix it.

If you have identified the bugs, you might want to look for any specific removal instructions from your AV Software company. Occasionally there are some special cases that must be handled a little differently.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Be careful with "Hijack This". That sucker pulls out the most stubborn file, Never to return.

So be sure before you click. Trend Micro's House Call will clean you up, and it's free. I have used AVG and Zone Alarm ant they are fine.

NO need to buy, McAffee was one of the biggest ripoffs I ever saw. Lots of people buy it because the trial version is on the box when they take it home.

My ISP is roadrunner, free firewall and antivirus come with it. I guess others offer it too, to eliminate subscriber headaches.

HM

7. missemucho

missemucho Member

cableguy:
    Try PC-cillin from Trend Micro; top rated by Consumer Reports. You can go to www.pricewatch.com and find it for under $20. Much better than Norton or McAffee-uses less of your computer's resources as well.
    John

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

How many toolbars is she running? Google,yahoo,aol,coolwebsearch? They all phone home to let the advertisers what your child has been surfing for.
    GET RID OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can set up IE if your using it to default to Google as you primary search engine.

The best thing is to download Firefox 2.0.0.8 and us it.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Jerbear

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Want to see if your computer is infected? Click the link above. There is no viruses on the site and it will tell you if your clean or you think your clean.

Jerbear

10. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

One bump for the weekend.

Thanks,

Shawn

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, I've used most of them. And most of them are junk, especially the free ones. For Windows XP SP2 the best protection I've found is Zone Alarm Pro Firewall (around $30/yr) and Kaspersky Anti-virus (not the suite) and Spy Bot (free) for spy ware. Spy Bot immunizes your system, so you cannot catch any of the older spy ware. It updates about once a week.

For Windows Vista, nothing yet beats Sophos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.