1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Computer Update question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Someone on here stated that you needed at least 1 Gig for XP Pro to run well. I had only 512MB so I updated it to 1 Gig and can't tell any difference. I did check the system and it did recognize the upgrade. How should I be able to tell the difference. Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

2. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Try opening as many programs as you might normally have open at one time.

It should be easier and faster to switch between each programs. Make sure one of them is Internet Explorer or whichever browser you use and browsing a website that is heavy with graphics and pop-ups. I also suggest a program like Excel or Quicken that makes lots of calculations.

There are websites you can find that will actually test your PC for speed. Of course, to compare you'd have to remove the extra memory and run the test and then replace it and retest.

If all you use your PC for is checking email a few times a day and occasional Internet browsing, you might not notice a humongous speed increase. Rest assured, XP Pro loves RAM and will use as much of it as you have. It actually does a decent job of prioritizing RAM usage.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

There are a few variables here that we need to pin down. Some motherboards will only allow an expansion of memory in pairs meaning if you have 2 memory slots and currently have two- 256 cards then you would have to pull both cards and stick in two - 512 cards to reach your 1 gig goal.

Or some boards have 4 slots and only require that two slots be filled, so if you had a 512 already, you could throw in one 1 gig memory to give you a total of a gig and half. There are no absolutes, but without knowing any other specifics, I am pretty confident that there is an issue with how you upgraded. Please explain how many memory slots you have and how you upgraded, i.e., you had one 512 card and added another or you had two - 256 cards and yanked them and replaced with one 1- gig card, etc...

Also other things to consider, what brand memory did you buy? I bought some genric stuff, will think of the name later and it was just pure junk that doesn't work.

There is also the chance that if you weren't grounded when handeling the new memory that static may have damaged it (highly unlikely, I know of one instance where our tech guy at work damaged video card . . .)

4. Shooting Jack

I only had two memory slots which had a card in each of 256MB. I removed both and installed two cards of 512MB. I don't remember the name of the memory sticks but they were not el cheapo's brand. The computer is working fine, I just couldn't visibly see that it was any faster. I have so much junk on here and it takes close to 3 minutes to load when powered up. Jackie B.

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I have an older computer I bought for a back up in case mine ever went down. It has XP Pro and only has 256 meg ram. I have never used it.

I have XP Home and it came with 256 ram at 266 MHz. I later added another 256 RK-Byte PC2100, with lifetime warranty, stick for total of 512 ram. A couple of months ago I removed them and put in a one gig Crucial stick. Mine is the 184 PIN DIMM, 128Mx64 DDR. It is PC2700UNBUFF PBFI at 333MHz. I could never tell a difference but figure

If your ram is PC2700 and 184 Pin Dimm and you want to sell it email me as to how much you want for it as I have friends who have older computers and could maybe use it.

Jackie B, go to START, Click on RUN, type in msconfig and click on OK. Then select the startup tab and from the next screen uncheck what you do not need at start up and then click OK. Ray.......

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Go to 'my computer' and RIGHT click then go to 'PROPERTIES' and then LEFT click.

How much RAM/Memory is your computer recognizing?

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You may not notice a big difference until you have opened some memory intensive programs. If you do a lot with Video or Photos, it may help quite a bit. The main thing you would notice is a lot less hard drive activity since the swap file on the hard drive would be used less, since there is more memory available for Windows. When the system runs low on RAM, it uses the hard drive to make up for it. More RAM means less hard drive activity. It may add some longevity to your drive as well, but it will speed up applications that would otherwise need to read and write from the drive.

8. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Assuming your computer 'knows' there is one gig of ram . . .

You said you have a lot of junk and your computer takes a long time to load.

I know there are those that will argue and that is fine . . .

But I format no re-image or other band-aid fixes. I use a disk wiper, pick your brand, and wipe the drive. Then I reload only the programs that I use.

It is amazing how fast a computer will run with out all the 'bloat-ware' that comes from the manufacturer/distributor.

So assumming you see a gig of RAM when you check 'my computer' then if you don't want to mess with a true re-format, then find a friend that will do it for you.

Just back up your stuff, i.e., Quick Books, Turbo Tax stuff, Quicken, address book for email and whatever other stuff like pictures, music and word documents.

Then nuke the thing and start with a clean slate.

I promise that after a format and loading only programs that you use, you will see a huge difference. Then go the next step and start researching XP speed tips on google.

You will quickly learn how to manipulate your start up programs, etc. I am running XP on one machine, Vista on a second, and Windows 2000 on another. I will tell you that on my XP I have 35 processes running and that is probably 8 processes to many.

Hit Control, AlT, DELETE and click on the PROCESSES TAB. Then look at the bottom left hand corner, how many "Processes" do you have running?

All of those use memory . . .

Let me know.

9. lightfoot

lightfoot TS Member

You might not notice that much of a difference on startup, etc., but as others have pointed out, once things are up and running, you might then see a slight difference in things.

I upgraded my XP laptop from 1gb to 2gb, and couldn't notice much difference.

I upgraded my XP desktop from 1gb to 3gb, and noticed a big difference.

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Jackie, First are you running a dell box? some Dells are slow and it's due to the drive speed. Nothing you can do about it because most Dells came with the operating system on a hidden partition on the hard drive. You can make a set of backup disks and install a faster drive, it's up to you.

Above is a sit to tell you if your box is infected. It's a clean site.

Here is a sheet I give to my clients to remember to keep their boxes clean and running fast. Remember a clean computer is a happy computer.

Hope this helps.

Adaware... http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

Spybot... http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10122137.html

Copy and paste the above URL's.

Above are the two spyware removers. Download and update them. You can run them and let us know if these help.

For instructions, after you install the programs you can go to the help tab and read the tutorials.

*** Turn off system restore. To do this, right click on the “My Computer “ icon and go to proteries go to the system restore and put a check in turn off system restore. Don't worry we will turn it back on later.

You may need to give more room for your IE cache since your on cable. Go to tools>internet options>under temp internet files click on settings and give it around 450-500megs.

Now go to Temp Internet files and delete all ofline content. Delete cookies.

Now go into the Privacy tab and click on advanced. Check the box to override auto cookie handling. tic the Allow first party cookies, tic Block third party cookies and check allow session cookies. Ok yourself out.

When was the last time you did a scan disk? To do this, double click on the My Computer icon and right click on the C drive and go to properties. Go to tools and Error checking. Click check now and auto fix errors. Reboot. Scan disk or error checking runs on startup in XP. After you have cleaned the spyware out of your computer and run error checking you can run Disk Cleanup and defragmenter. Click on Start>all programs>accessories>system tools and defragmenter, let it run.

There is a glitch in the disk cleanup program that makes it run way too slow. If you feel comfortable with editing the registry, I will tell you how to fix it.

************ Back up your Registry************

Disclaimer... Proceed at your own risk>>>>>
    Click on Start>run>and type "regedit" and hit enter. Now your into the registry.
    Here we go... 1) click on the + next to Hkey_Local_Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Explorer>VolumeCaches and click on Compress Old Files.

Now go to the default entry on the right and right click and go to modify. Put a - in front of the value to make it look like this
    -{B50F5260-0C21-11D2-AB56-00A0C9082678} click OK and close out.

Now you can go to the above location for Disk Defrag and above that there will be Disk Cleanup. With the modified registry entry , it will only take a few seconds to clean up your drive.

Here is the sequence to do the clean up.

*** Turn off system restore***

1)Fix the registry glitch

2)Dowload the spyware programs and update

2a)Reset privacy and cache settings in the IE tools internet options tab.

3)Run spyware programs and clean your system... use the help tab in the programs for instructions

4)Run Error Checking... reboot

5)Run defrag

6)Turn system restore back on

Your machine should now run faster.

Jerbear

11. Shooting Jack

Thanks for the input. My system is a HP 514x with a Celeron 2Ghz CPU and .99gb of Ram. I do a disk check and defrag every week and run spybot at least twice a week. There were 41 processes listed. One thing that I still don't understand is that I installed two boards of 512 which I would think would be just over 1 gig of ram but it shows .99 ram. I will run the infected or not and see if something is there that I don't know about. I probably failed to mention that I have McAfree loaded for protection and weatherbug for continious temperature update. Do I need to take the weather bug off. How do I control the processes? Jackie B.

12. Shooting Jack

I didn't have any viruses detected when running detected or not. Jackie B.

13. B.C.

B.C. Member

may also need a bios update ! B.C.

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

1024 is 1 gig of ram. You may be sharing some of your ram with your video card.
    Do you know if you have an onboard video, meaning your video cable plugs into your motherboard and not a separate card in a slot on the board?

Most OEM machines will share ram for their video, useally 32 megs.

Do this.. click on start and run, now type DXDIAG and see how much video you are running. It will also tell you a host of other things like your motherboard and sound card and test video and sound.

See if this give you more info on your computer.

Jerbear

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Some of the bottleneck can very well be the Celeron 2GHz CPU. They don't respond as well to a memory upgrade as the full blown Pentiums do. You can always upgrade the CPU as long as you know what the motherboard will support. A Pentium 2+GHz would probably be a very inexpensive option. A dedicated Video Card would also help performance, if you are using the onboard graphics. You should be able to upgrade both for well under $100. I personally would save the money and put it towards a new system, unless I could find a great deal on the upgrade parts. Even a $300 budget system these days will usually run circles around your old one, even if you upgraded it.

16. deking00

deking00 Member

Jerbear, I have two questions. Do you have the above registry tweek in an inf file (I think I have the right extention)? Does the paging file need to be adjusted on Jackie B.'s computer after the memory addition? David King

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

No I don't have registry tweak in a batch file. It's really not that hard to get to. Follow the instrutions and the + mark on the side of the folders will expand the folder to show more folders.

Let XP run the page file.

Quack shot is right, Celery's don't have as much on die cache as a Pentium or even an AMD. The front side buss may also be clocked slower. 100 mhz ,133mhz,333mhz, 400mhz, ect.

Jerbear

18. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

A program I run, wish is free, is called CCleaner (crap-cleaner). It seems to do simple registry repairs and also erases left over extensions from deleted files.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

19. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

More gooder now.

Jerbear

20. Shooting Jack

Thanks for your help fellas. Jerbear, I probably just overlooked something but when I went to regedit the screen came up as registry editor and nowhere did I find Hkey etc. Lo and behold I moved the bar over and found it finally. Duh. I just was not familiar with it but will follow through with the instuctions given earlier. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.