1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T computer question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AveragEd, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a seven(?) year-old PC with an Intel 2.4GB processor, 1GB RAM and a 250GB hard drive that seems happy running Windows XP with SP2. Do I want to install SP3? I've read that it may not be an improvement and need some opinions.

Thanks for your input.

Ed

2. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

I've installed SP3 on a dozen or so systems of various ages and have not had a problem with any of them. This service pack contains all of the updates Microsoft has offered since SP2 and some that it has not. You'll notice a slight increase in speed if using MSWord. Otherwise there are no noticeable changes in functionality.

There is some babble among IT people that you should download the SP to a disc then disconnect from the 'net, disable all your resident protection, install the SP and then re-enable and reconnect. I've not done that with any of the systems I've updated. and have had not problems downloading directly from the MS source.

Sometime withing the next couple of months, one of the updates you install from MS will update the updating software your system contains to allow MS to download updates to your system even if you have AutoUpdates set to "notify but don't download". At that time, you'll get SP3 anyway. The only way you will be able to avoid "forced" updates will be to disable the resident updater completely.

Andy Moreland

3. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Install the service pac its windoz fix for all the bugs they release with their software.

4. AveragEd

Thanks for the info - I'll feel better about permitting the download and install.

Ed

5. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Ed

Maybe you could let us know how the update went with your computer, "after" you install it. It would be a great service to those of us who have been reluctant to install it. I too have been resisting the urge to install it.

Bu the way, have you had a chance to think would the topic I emailed you recently for one of your upcoming articles?

Bill Radwan

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Ed, no problems here.

Hauxfan!

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Averaged:

As a long time computer user, repair tech, and network administrator I would advise some caution in downloading and installing softpac 3 from Microsoft. In my experience and discussions with others, it has caused problems with 10-20 percent of those who have tried to install it. (this is also true of previous softpacs and upgrades which then have then had upgrades and fixes to them). It did corrupt one of the computers I tried to install it on, and have not used softpac 3 since. But with some precautions, you can try it without risking serious damage. First go into programs, accessories, system tools and start up system restore, and then create a restore point just before you download and install the softpac. This will give you an "out" should you be one of the unfortunate 10-20 percent and let you restore your computer to the way it way before you ran the softpac. It is always a good idea to create a restore point before you make any significant change to your computer or install some software to allow for the occasional problem. I would note that other than grouping together all the previous security updates and adding a few new ones, softpac 3 does not seem to provide any significant new things to windows and you can get all security updates, etc by continuing to download and install critical updates without resorting to service pac 3. So in my opinion it is a choice, not a necessity.

By the way, I really enjoy your articles in Shotgun Sports. They have provided many useful tips, etc, in addition to leading me to Joel Etchens great Beretta hybrids, one of which I now own. Thanks for much enjoyment.

Jim R

8. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

There will always be those who seem to have problems installing service packs no matter what they are for, and the most common reason for such problems is system clutter, malware or corruption etc. MS was faced with 2 issues regarding SP3; one concerned chip incompatibility with one system manufacturer while the other concerned a software conflict. The vast majority of users never experience any problems with the updates.

Andy Moreland
    MCP, MCTS, MCSE, MCDBA

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

In January 2008 I installed Windows XP with SP2 Upgrade on an old computer which later on totally quit running and was scrapped for junk. Can I legally re-install the same Windows XP CD on another old computer that has ME ??

10. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

I would install and see if it will activate over the internet. If it will not activate call Microsoft and tell them your old computer quit running, they will then allow you to activate Windows on the new "old" computer.

David Knapp

11. AveragEd

Bill, I'm going to download and install it later today and will post the results after giving myself a few days to see any differences. Between racing, shooting, varmint hunting and some fishing, I haven't had time to give your idea the thought it deserves. But winter's coming!

Thanks, Jim, for the restore point reminder. I think a lot of folks forget that feature exists. And just to show you that I meant what I said about those Berettas, I bought one for myself about a month ago.

Ed

12. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

The installation of SP3 will create its own restore point as did the installation of other service packs.

13. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Ed, the main issue with SP-3 was with machines built with AMD processors. You indicated you have an Intel processor, so I wouldn't worry about it. I've done it on about 25 machines recently, and have had no problems. As a matter of fact, I believe that Microsoft now requires SP-3 as a base update level for post-SP-3 patches through Windows update.

MikeTMX, Dave Knapp is correct about reinstalling XP, although I would not try to upgrade. Yonder lies the road to hell. A fresh install is almost always the best way to go. The real question is whether a machine running Windows-ME has the horsepower, the memory and the disk space to run XP. Don't even try if it's a 486 with 128MB of memory and a 10MB hard drive. If you think you do have the horsepower, try and get the drivers for XP before you start, particularly the chipset and NIC drivers; you can download the rest later. On the other hand, if you destroy a machine running ME, no harm done. You're doing the world a favor...

Good luck.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Averaged

Go for it. Maybe 1 in 100 systems may have an issue. Do a little research on the Micro$oft site about the different concerns, back up your system and you should have little trouble. I only had one system do some continuous rebooting. Took a few minutes to fix it. No big problem. The security updates are a benefit, but there's no real improvements.

MikeTMX

If you have a retail version, you can install it. If it is an OEM version, you probably can not do so legally, unless you are installing it on replacement hardware in the old system. I would also do a clean install and not install it over ME as an upgrade. Make sure the system you intend to install it on has sufficient resources to run XP.

15. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

From experience, if you have an OEM copy of windows with an OEM key, you should be able to install in on a different computer. Hope this helps, Josh.

16. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Ed

I have automatic updates turned on, to give me a notice that up dates are availably.

I downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 3 on May 7th when notified buy the update feature in XP. I did not have any problems after this down load.

Since than I have downloaded every update as notified by the update feature in XP. Again, no problems, my computer is running great.

My system is: Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80 GHz - .99 GB of Ram

Go for it and do the download.

Good luck

Frank

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You can always restore to the previous state if you have system restore running.

WHiz

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Jollytrapshooter

The question posed by MikeTMX was, can he do that "LEGALLY". Not so with an OEM license. It can certainly be done and activated, providing enough time has passed since the initial activation. They apparently purge the data every so often (120 days), or at least they used to. It would just not be legal to do so and it violates the terms of the OEM license agreement. A retail version is an entirely different story. The provisions allow for installation on a different system, provided it is uninstalled from the original system. There are other license options, but some of us don't have the need for a few thousand copies or developer agreements and subscriptions.

19. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I guess I am in the 10-20% described above. I downloaded and installed Win XP Svc Pak 3 a few weeks ago on my 2 year old HP desktop with Media Center. After I did os, the computer could not find many of he programs and files and drives as it had before. At one point, it acted possessed as it would reboot fro no apparent reason. I consider myself an intermediate to advanced person when it comes to these machines and could find no way around the behavior. Fortunately, I had created a System Restore Point and was able to get back to normal. On the downside, my system keeps reminding me that I need to update my PC.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

20. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I bought Windows XP Home Edition from a store for the sole reason of doing my income tax with a software package that would not run with Windows ME. I guess that makes it a "retail" version purchased in January 2008. I do have enough horsepower to run XP on the old computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.