1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Computer question about Regtool.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Has anyone used this free tool? Is there a need for a registry tool? Thanks for your input. I'm not having any problem with my computer but it seems so slow(2.1mhz) and takes about 5 minutes to do a restart/start up. Jackie B.

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

When was the last time you did a disk clean up and defrag?

Double click on your My Computer icon and right click on the C drive. Go to properties and left click, now click on disk cleanup, it may take awhile. After that go to tools and Defragment Now. Let it run.

There was a glitch in the registry that mad disk cleanup take forever to do, go here for the fix before you run cleanup.

For an automated fix, look here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Read instructions at the top
    Scroll down to:
    # 48 Right hand side
    Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes

Hope this helps.... Jerbear

3. stan18966

stan18966 TS Member

speed =mem.
    reg tools that are free will end up costing you thanks

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

The only reg cleaner I would EVER consider or recommend is one like the JV-16 Power Tools or Power Tools Lite that allows the user to see and select the reg entries that are to be deleted; this requires that the user knows what to dump and what to keep. Using a tool that selects and deletes autonomously is an invitation to a very bad day. You risk dumping needed entries if you can't control the choices yourself. If you are not familiar with what's in the registry, you're MUCH better off to leave it alone. If you're using Windows XP, that OS does a good job of looking after its own registry

If your computer takes a long time to boot or restart it is more likely that you have too many apps and processes running at start-up. Lighten the start load to speed things up. The only things that MUST run at start-up are the OS, the protection (A/V, firewall) that runs resident and the OS services. Readers, scanners, and all other apps and utilities (Adobe, MSOffice, Photoshop, Paintshop, Java, Quicktime, WMP, text editors etc.) can be started when they are needed, not before. But, again, you need to know what apps, processes etc. can/should be turned off to speed start-up.

Carol Lister

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I don't recommend nor do I use any "registry cleaners". If you don't know what to do with the registry without one, leave it ALONE! A clean install will probably breathe some new life into an old system, since it will start out without all of the crap one collects over the years. Back up your important files, make sure you have all of the software you wish to reinstall and the product keys. Reserve a weekend and have at it. Making room on a crowded hard drive might help, as would a little more system memory. I just did an upgrade for an old friend and you'd be amazed at how much better a system can run with a new and bigger hard drive and over twice the memory. Cleaning out some of the old programs you never use or wanted in the first place can help. Defragging the drive can also help a little. There are also tweaks to control start up items or control WHEN they start. You hardly need half of them when the system is first booted. Somehow almost EVERY program installed needs to know if it has an update before the system even becomes ready to use.

6. Shooting Jack

Thanks guys. I defrag and disk check my computer at least once a week. I do have several things that startup when booting and really don't know how to take them off auto boot. Jackie B.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Take a look at the link above. I would NOT do everything they suggest, especially not compressing files. It can cause extra overhead when accessing them and make the issues worse. Look at steps 2, 3, 6, 8, 13, and 16. Use Google to help identify any startup items or programs you don't recognise. I'm assuming you are running XP. You could use msconfig to stop some items from loading at startup. Do NOT blow compressed air on fans unless you can prevent them from turning. They can spin fast enough to wipe out a bearing or actually come apart. I WON'T tell you how I know that!

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Click start, then run, then type in msconfig, then click on OK then when the window comes up click on the start up tap and you can uncheck what you do not want to run. Ray

9. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Do what X Trap 2 said

Find a site that tells you what is necessary on startup, like www.bleepingcomputer.com.

It will show you what everything is.
    Only leave those things that you use all the time. Ones to keep are virus software and the few necessary ones you can't get rid of that enable windows and other functions that you use all the time.
    After you eliminate the fluff, your computer will restart faster, and the one's that you unchecked will load only when you open them.

IMO, no need to defrag that often, unless you are adding and deleting many files. Just use Disc Cleanup and a spyware and malware scan removal tool like Ad-Aware weekly, it's a free download. Also run your virus scan regularly. I defragment only when it needs it, or is slowing down. The defragment scan tells you whether it needs it. Too often wears on your hard drive as much as if it's really fragmented, so two schools of thought there.

I also recommend you check the windows download center for fixes. There's quite a few glitches in windows software that hackers and undesireables can get through. Update any programs you run regularly, as they also have repairs for these.

10. Shooting Jack

Thanks for all the help. I am always leery of anything that changes the regristry. I appreciate the help in getting some of those unnecessary programs at startup. Jackie B.

11. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"Click start, then run, then type in msconfig, then click on OK then when the window comes up click on the start up tap and you can uncheck what you do not want to run."</blockquote>
    That's not going to help you very much. Most of what is listed in config are processes and services. Some can be turned off but most of the unnecessary startup load will be in programs. applications and utilities.

To reveal those you will need some help from 2 sources: "Process Explorer" and "Autoruns", both from Microsoft via System Internals. Google the names to locate the downloads. Process Explorer lists all running processes. It's importance lies in its ability to show the percentage of CPU usage being devoted to each of the processes that make the computer function. You can run PE right from the Technet web site without downloading it (a good idea if you don't need it often). Autoruns lists every file that is opened when the system starts. To locate the loads start with the tabs marked "Logon", "Explorer", "Internet Explorer" and "Drivers". The only programs/apps etc. that need to run at startup are the ones that deal with protection (A/V, Firewall, Backup utility). Any program that allows you to do things with the computer (read, write, edit, manipulate video or audio etc.) can be started when they are needed. They do not need to be started immediately.

Carol Lister

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.