1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Computer problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by toolguy, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toolguy

toolguy Member

I'm hoping somone here can help me with this.

I recently discovered that my computer will automatically turn itself on after a power interruption, even though it was completely shut down before the power interruption. Any ideas? Thanks.

Regards,

Don Whiton

2. toolguy

toolguy Member

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Type of computer?

If it is a Mac, that is an option in energy settings in system preferences.

If it is a PC, different manufacturers and models may (or may not) offer this option. It is most often used in unattended (server type) operations. You might find the answer in your manuafacturers web site.

4. toolguy

toolguy Member

It's a PC. Until recently, it did not do this. Could this be related to SP3?

Don

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

FOr a PC it's simple... you can go into the BIOS at boot-up, and set your system to stay off, reboot, etc.

Usually at boot-up you will have to press the F1, F2 or F10 keys as the screen starts to show to get to the BIOS.

Whiz

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Like Whiz said, It is, in most systems, a bios setting. In addition to the keys he listed, I have seen the "Esc" key, the "Del" key and even an "F2" key being the entry point into the BIOS. When you come up from a cold start or a restart, look closely at your screen. The correct key for your system should be shown for a second or two. Most likely it will be telling you what key to hit to enter "Setup" mode. It will not say "BIOS" unless you have some other BIOS that I have not run across.

Just be sure to only change the Power setting for power failure restart. There are probably more than a hundred different BIOS's in use and every manufacturer may change the exact name and how you get to it. Just read many times BEFORE changing once. Do not make any other changes unless you know exactly what you are changing and why. Once you make THE change you will have to save the new setting in BIOS and then restart.

I have seen a one or two systems where the option wasn't offered but those, as near as I recall, were on laptop systems and it was only one or two times. I would think that in a laptop it would only apply if both the AC adapter or docking station failed and the internal battery was totally dead or removed. There may have been more but I wasn't really looking for or paying attention to that setting.

7. toolguy

toolguy Member

Thanks Pyrdek and Whiz.

As it was easier to access the bios setup, I tried that first. The AC Power Recovery option was set to "last". I changed it to "off", saved the change and rebooted. It did not work. The computer turned itself on when I restored power. During the boot process, there is a screen indicating the need to enter setup to change the clock setting, etc. This screen also indicated: "Alert: system battery voltage low". Therefore, it seems to me that Pyrdek's original concern may the correct one.

Is this something that is user serviceable, (I would classify myself as reasonably competent), or should it really be done by a fully qualified repair tech? Thank you both for all your help.

Regards,

Don

8. toolguy

toolguy Member

My apologies. It was MIA who suggested a system battery problem. Credit where credit is due. Thanks.

Regards,

Don

9. toolguy

toolguy Member

Changed battery. Problem solved. Thanks to all.

Regards,

Don

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

No matter what you change, if the BIOS battery is low, nothing will probably be saved.

Hit the drug store and pick up a CR2032 battery, size of a quarter, and the same ones used in vehicle remote locks.

Whiz

11. toolguy

toolguy Member

Whiz,

That's the one I changed. Perhaps I wasn't clear at the beginning: this is a desktop machine. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.