1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Computer problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigbore613, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Had a virus slip through and lock up my PC. I wiped out everything with restore discs and all was working fine until updating to IE -7 from IE-6 after installing service pack 3 for XP. I could not get out to the net any way I tried, Even windows updates would not get out. I then removed IE-7 and can get out only through Windows updates. Any help ? Thanks, Jeff

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Do a restore to a previous working date... or

When you did your restore, did you do a virgin (reformat) install?

Sometimes that is really necessary. I even to a low-level format, FDISK and all that.

Whiz

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I would recommend a 1-1/8oz load of #8 shot out of a full choke Jeff ... yep might even want to take a 2nd or 3rd shot just for good measure.

Have you tried removing the pink towel from the vicinity of it?

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

sledgehammer

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Very close to seeing how high it will bounce off the sidewalk. Whiz I did a complete wipeout , only way to get windows to boot. Jeff

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

7. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

That sounds like an NS [Name Server] Problem. Or a hosts File problem also wipe out the Cache for the IE. If you can find windowsupdate.com you can find the rest of the net. Try this if your firewall will allow it go to a dos window and type in ping 4.2.2.2 if somthing comes back your halfway there.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sounds like a Winsock issue. Installing SP3 over IE6 and then upgrading to IE7 was probably not the best idea. I'd install IE7 before the SP3 update.

Mash the link above and look if you can make sense of some of the links there. Check the info at Microsoft and then see if any of the utilities listed can help.

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

So how high did it bounce?

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Jeff, there is a free utility called WinsockFix that will rebuild your winsock entries. There are some viruses that corrupt these entries. I've used this utility and it works. See http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

If you have Spybot installed, you can examine the LSP stack under Advanced Settings. Sometimes it will flag a bogus entry.

IE7 and SP-3 can be uninstalled in Control Panel if necessary, but try WinsockFix first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.