1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Computer mouse gone crazy. Help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Don't know what's going on but I can be using computer and the mouse cursor just goes crazy, moving all over the screen opening up different programs etc.
    Any ideas or suggestions. Jackie B.

2. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Go to the site above and download the free adaware and run it. You have little gremlins and this will hunt them down and kill them for you.

3. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Try a "release" mouse!

Ed

4. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

If using a mechanical mouse; (1) Remove ball and clean with isopropanol alcohol, (2) inside the mouse there are rollers that the ball rotates on, clean these with isopropanol alcohol using a Q-tip.

Reassemble and try, may or may not help. (?)

Frank

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Obama needs to appoint a mouse czar to fix your problem.

If you have a optical mouse, you may have an area on your desk that makes the laser jump. My mouse does that all the time, so I put it on a flat black surface and it is all right now.

Jerbear

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

A few things I have encountered that caused the same problem:

- bad cable... mouse to PC
    - bad mouse
    - electrical glitch in the PS/2 port (round port, 6 pins and a center spike)
    - shiny spots on the mouse pad
    - "hardware acceleration" set too high

Change the mouse pad and check the "hardware acceleration setting" (right-click on desktop >> properties >> settings >> advanced >> reduced hwd acc setting by one.) Return it to its original setting if that doesn't correct the matter

I would then try a new mouse... borrow a newer optical USB mouse. That will deal with the cable, the mouse and the PS/2 port (use a USB mouse, not a PS/2 mouse with a USB adapter or a USB mouse with a PS/2 adapter).

REMEMBER to power OFF the computer before you remove the mouse cable from the PS/2 port! You can attach/remove a USB device with the computer powered ON.

Carol Lister

7. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

700X-user suggested...<blockquote>"Try a "release" mouse!"</blockquote>
    All standard mouses are "release" mouses. Nothing happens when you push any mouse button down; the action only occurs when you release the button.

Carol Lister

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Good catch Carol, mine is a double release........Wayne

9. blooper

blooper TS Member

a drop of liquid on (in) your keybord will that

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Decon or sticky traps

11. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

You have probably developed a "flinch" that only a release mouse will cure - or otherwise your "flinch" will keep you from wining any Lewis money and you sure will not get into a shootoff. the beav

12. Shooting Jack

Thanks everyone. I clean the mouse regularly so will try the change that Carol suggested and if that doesn't work I will get a new mouse. Thanks again. Jackie B.

13. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

This same problem used to surface a lot a long time ago on Windows driven computers. It is probably not a fault in your mouse - it is more likely that some software you recently installed or updated causes your computer to interpret data input as a mouse signal. When the problem originally surfaced, the software causing the problem involved GPS or position information.

I doubt that a new mouse will solve the problem - borrow one and try it before buying a new mouse.

Assuming that a borrowed mouse doesn't solve your problem, see if you can figure out what software you recently installed or updated and check to see if other people had the same problem, and how they fixed it. It used to require a software patch.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Do not use a "red" mouse pad or suface for an optical "led" mouse. If it still has a ball, get a new mouse. It wouldn't hurt to scan the system for malware either. A new optical mouse can be found for less than $10, so it's one of the first things to try.

You could also have some issues related to limited system resources. If the mouse seems unresponsive, don't start clicking and moving it around. The system might remember everything movement you made when it recovers, so that could be what you are seeing. Some anti-virus programs can actually cause some older systems to do this. Not knowing the particulars of your system, I can't say much more in that regard.

15. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Carol,

I am sorry that you didn't "get" my trapshooting joke about a "release" mouse!

Ed

16. Shooting Jack

I changed the hardware acceleration setting as Carol suggested and have not experienced the problem anymore. Thanks again. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.