1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Computer Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a IBM Think Pad that the screen has started flickering. The picture is fine just the color fading in and out. It is several years old I know but still works good except for the color. Is there adjustments that I or someone can make. I know that it is expensive to send it back to IBM so don't want to do that. It is used mostly for internet access. Appreciate your assistance. Jackie B.

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jackie,

Until someone knowledgeable replies, try turning off the computer and removing the battery. Leave the power cord unattached for 30 seconds Reattach the AC power and try it. If that doesn't;s solve the problem, try restoring the notebook to a date when it worked well.

(This from a relative computer dummy)

Rollin

3. Shooting Jack

Thanks Rollin, but it didn't change it. Appreciate your effort. Jackie B.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Jackie,

If it is a model T40, T41, or T42? If so it usually has a dedicated graphics BGA chip that gets hot and starts to desolder itself from the mainboard. It is aggravated by excessive flexing, especially if you pick it up with one hand from a corner. You are describing the problem we've seen with these. It affects some other models as well. If it is the mainboard, it's an expensive repair. If you flex the notebook and it changes, it's probably gone. There is a VERY remote possibility that it could be a ribbon cable that connects the display with the graphics controller or the display itself. Most aren't that lucky. There are a few diagnostic tests that can be done, but gently twisting the notebook while it is on will often tell you the story. If it is in the advanced stages, you will see the diaplay change or go off while you flex it.

There have been some cooling improvements and updates to some of the hardware and Bios updates to help alleviate the problem, but it usually just delays the inevitable.

5. Shooting Jack

It doesn't change by lifting at the corners. I couldn't find the model number, it's a pentium 4 1.6ghz with 1 gig of ram. The screen doesn't start to flicker until it gets hot/warmed up. The fan seems to work but don't know how well. Jackie B.

6. Shooting Jack

It say's A31. Jackie B.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The A30 series and some X series also have the BGA Graphics processor issues from time to time, along with many other models. There are several other things you could have issues with, including the lcd or backlight. There are a few cables and intermediate components that could also fail. Unfortunately, it's not something you can really diagnose long distance. I can only relate to problems I have seen on similar units. Some of the Lenovo units with the Mobile Radeon Graphics systems have issues. Most eventually fail to the point where the screen goes blank. Sometimes a failed unit would have so much dust and animal hair in the cooling fans, that I wonder how they even went as long as they did. Overheating is a real killer for electronics.

Lenovo/IBM sometimes supplied a diagnostic disk that would run through some basic hardware tests. You might check with them and see if one could be obtained. It would give you a start.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If it happens after it has been on for a while...take it to your local comuter repair shop and have them clean out all the dust and crap out of it. Should not be expensive to have that done....good chance it will solve your problem.

9. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Have you backed it up? D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.