1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Computer help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a computer running on Windows 7 that has a Terrabite hard drive and an external drive that is 300 gig. The external drive is full from doing backups and I did a back up on DVD's and it took ten of them for the backup. How can I tell what files on the external drive are backup and will it hurt anything to delete them. It only took five months to fill up the external drive. Recommendations please as I don't know what to do. Jackie B.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You don't say what you are backing up, but to burn through that much HD space in five months is a lot.

I suspect you are doing full back-ups each time rather than incremental ones.

A better solution is to do incremental ones often, and then a full back up about one time per month.

Let us know what you are backig up and we might be able to give better assistance.

3. Shooting Jack

That's part of the problem. I don't know what is being backed up. It says files in libraries and personal files for everyone.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Why not do the back up on the external drive instead of DVD's

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Cuban cigar, I think he said his external drive was full. Myself, I like to put files i don't use all the time but want to keep on flash or zip ddrives. This is a really good way to save photos etc and can save lots of memory

Bob

6. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

Most windows backup files end with a .bak file extension. Looking at the file properties it should tell you the date and time of the last time the file was changed. Look for the most recent and you can delete the rest.

HSLDS has good suggestions, I would also set to overwrite the old backup to keep from filling the external HD.

John MI

7. Shooting Jack

John, that is the kind of info I needed but I could not figure out how to set it to overwrite the old data. I tried to copy everything that was on the external drive but when I select copy and then try to paste it it will not let me. None of the files have bak on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.