1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Computer help Please

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I recently switched over to At&t for my phone and hi speed internet. I had a problem with it tonight and called the help desk. They helped to reset/reload my modem and internet account. In the process they emptied my sent/received emails as well as my address book. I didn't see that until a few minutes ago and went to my recycle bin and it indicated that they were in it. I selected each and told it to restore. They are no longer in the bin but they are not in the email account either. I didn't find them under documents either. Any suggestions as to how to restore or find them? I have several hundred names in the address book and that was the only place I had them. Also numerous emails that I had saved for various reasons. I sure hope someone can help me find them and if nothing else I would print them all out so I could at least have them. Thanks for any help. Jackie B.

2. jmas

jmas TS Member

Just a thought - have you re-booted the computer since then ?

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If a reboot doesn't help, contact the help desk again or a friend who is computer savy and look for a restore point. That should take you back to a point before the problem occured.

Eric

4. Shooting Jack

Yes, after I restored the files and they were still not in the email folders, I did a restart. Jackie B.

5. Shooting Jack

My concern with doing a restore to an earlier time is that it would put me back with the error condition(illegal address). I will give that a try as a last resort. I have looked in the document folder and they email files are not listed there either. Jackie B.

6. jmas

jmas TS Member

The address book is normally located (Windows XP)in C:\Program Files\Outlook Express. The name of the file is wab (Windows Address Book). If you find itd you should be able to double click on the file and it will open the address book.

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

While I don't understand why any Tech Support would have you delete messages or your address book in order to correct connection errors, try the following to find your info if still on the computer.

Go the Start button and select Search. Search for the following files. For the address book search for *.wab files (asterisk, dot, WAB) This is the outlook express address book file. If found, carefully note what folder and subfolder the file is in (that is the exact location of the file on the hard drive) and write this down. Then do a search for *.dbx (asterisk, dot, dbx) files. These are the message files for Outlook (sent, deleted, draft, etc) Again, carefully note where they are located by folder, subfolder, etc and write down. Next, open Outlook Express. Go to file and select import, and then select address book. When asked for location, enter the location of the WAB file you found in search. This will reimport the address book into Outlook. Next, go to "tools" and select "options" Within options, select the "maintenance" tab. In the maintenance window you will find a block labeled "store folder" Select this to change the where outlook finds the messages and enter the location of the dbx files you determined from the earlier search operation. If the files are are the computer still, this will enable you to get back both your addresses and your messages into Outlook

If you have any questions or issues, feel free to PM me

Jim R

8. jmas

jmas TS Member

I stand corrected. That was a different wab on my computer. Here is the correct default for the address book.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

"HP_Owner" may not be on your computer if it is not an HP.

9. Shooting Jack

I went to WAB and it only had 6 addresses in it. No idea where the hundreds went. Jackie B.

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

You probably have a online account. That means it's on their end, not your computer. Do you go online to see your email? Meaning, do you get your email through your home page? If so, the tech wiped your account and reset it.

Just a thought....

Jerbear

11. Shooting Jack

Thanks for your help and will copy the info so I can try it tomorrow. I have to work tomorrow and it's way past my bed time. LOL Appreciated Jackie B.

12. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Jackie

When using the search for files and folders, be sure that the search includes "hidden files" as well. Often these type files are hidden by windows and may not show up in a plain search. As for finding only 6 addresses, this is probably an older WAB file that was an early back up by the system. Expanding the search into hidden files may find the later wab. If an expanded search cannot find the file, it is likely deleted from the computer altogether.
    Again, I don't understand why tech support would have had you empty/delete such files in the first place, but then most internet provider help I have found is frequently poor and often does not even understand their own systems.
    (I used to do telephone tech support for a few years for a computer business I managed)

Note that my advice applies only if you are using windows outlook express for email. If, as noted by jerbear, you access email through your home page on the internet, then none of this information will be on your computer of course and you would need to work with your internet provider to see if any the data was recoverable.
    Jim R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.