1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Computer help please.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I am unable to watch video's on facebook which requires you to use Adobe Flash Player. I had updated it to 11 but still wouldn't work so I disabled my security/spyware then deleted the program Adobe Flash Player and re-installed and then turned my spyware back on. It still will not work. Any suggestion Please. Jackie B.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

What machine, what operating system??

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Firewall?

4. Shooting Jack

I knew there was something I was forgeting. LOL It is a Toshiba Laptop that uses Vista. It has a dual processor at 2 Ghz and only 2 Gig of Ram. Appreciate your help.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Do you know the source for the video (You Tube, etc.)?

You are dealing with Vista (you don't say which version) - but it is one of the quirkiest versions of Windows, and on top of that Flash Player is so demanding in and of itself the causes for your problem can be myriad.

You might want to try VLC video player - a lot more intuitive, free, and less likely to be attacked by hackers.

I know it is not a direct solution, but you have such a varied array of possibilities this might be a more expedient solution.

6. Shooting Jack

I downloaded vlc and it made no difference. I even deleted adobe flash player and it still didn't work. When I sign in to facebook and go to a video it still comes up and says you need Adobe Flash Player. Jackie B.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You need to make Adobe Flash Player your default player. Somewhere in your Control Panel settings. Maybe in the video settings.

8. Shooting Jack

Thanks, I'll give that a try. JackieB.

9. Shooting Jack

Couldn't figure out how to make it my default. Help please.

10. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Click the above link and follow the instructions. Might help.

Don T. Littleton CO

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have Windows 7 and I could not get it to load Adobe flash player. I finally found a website that knew about the problem and offered an alternate version which did load up and work.

12. Shooting Jack

Did not work still. Wireguy, what was the name of that site. Thanks for everyones help.

13. mark54

mark54 Member

I have Windows 7 & used Internet Explorer & had the same problem. Switched to Firefox & problem went away.

mark54 in Lititz voted ("Coolest Small Town In The USA")

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The installer I used is an Adobe product. It sounds like you are going to need some pro help.

15. Shooting Jack

Thanks everyone. Jackie B.

16. flashmax

One last shot at it. Try the above page and do it step by step. There was a conflict a few years back that required a download from Adobe that swept all the old versions of Flash off your machine and then downloaded and installed the right version. If you can get the "Success" page to show on the Adobe website then you will have to try looking at the "browser addons manager" in I.E. tools among other places. Keep us posted, we will try to help you if we can.

Don T. Littleton CO

17. Shooting Jack

Don, do you recommend leaving my spyware/virus protection off in this process. I have been turning it off when I tried to load it. I went to programs and deleted the adobe flash player as well as chrome with spyware turned off and then downloaded the newest version and said it was successful. I still would not show video's. I will give you last response a try and hopefully it will work. One thing that I'm still not sure about is how to make adobe my default flash player. I did go to tools, internet options and allow script. Jackie B.

18. flashmax

If you go down all the steps on that last link you will hit the answers ( IIRC ) of all your questions. I don't know about your spyware but on mine I just click the "allow this software to make changes to your computer" and on the "allow Javascriot to run once" clickable at the top of the page. Note down toward the bottom of that linked page that I.E. 9 has its own special link for problems. If you are running 9 that might be the best place to start.

HtH,

Don T. Littleton CO

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just a FYI:

When you are wanting to remove software, you have to "uninstall" it. Simple deletion usually does not remove the entire software.

20. Shooting Jack

Rgr on the uninstall. I didn't state the actual process as I went to control panel selected programs and features. selected the program and checked uninstall. I should have been more clear as I now know that it could affect the advise given. Thanks Jackie B.