1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T COMPUTER DVD-CD/RW?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sgt. Mike, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I have a Dell 8200 Dimension computer with a CD ROM and a a CD-DVD/RW. After installing AVG 7.5, I think, the Read Write of the disk no longer works. It will now work as a CD drive only. I installed a new CD-DVD/RW and with the software it still comes up CD drive only. I tried to change it in the BIOS with no luck. I would like to be able to write to disks. Any experts out there who might have some idea as to what is going on. Thanks in advance. Michael

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but try checking to see if the drive is enabled for
    recording. Right click the drive in My Computer or Windows Explorer and
    choose Properties. Look at the Recording Tab for details. Sometimes this
    gets discombobulated.

3. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

A couple likely possibilities:

There are two lasers, one for DVD, one for CD, focused through the same lens. A failing drive will typically lose one laser first, simultaneous failure is rare.

Conflicting software can cause the symptoms described, particularly packet-writing soft like InCD (Nero), DirectCD (Roxio), DLA (Sonic), or other. The fix is to delete the offending filters or "hooks" in the registry. The following assumes you have XP or earlier, dunno about Vista:

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
    Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.
    Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
    1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.
    Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
    1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
    8. Exit Registry Editor.
    Step 4: Restart the computer
    If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.

If you have installed a packet-writing program with your burning suite, I'd uninstall, then re-install without InCD, DirectCD, whatever. Having multiple burning programs can also cause problems, in the past Nero and Roxio, in some versions, would not coexist happily on the same comp.

Good luck.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sgt. Mike

I've seen Windows report a DVD drive as a CD, but the drive would work normally with the CD and DVD burning software and DVDs were read with no trouble. It sometimes happens when a blank disk is in the drive. There are some programs that actually install a virtual CD drive as well. Be sure you are not confusing that feature.

If you decide to try editing your registry, be sure to back it up before you do. One wrong move can render your machine unbootable. Mash the link above or look here for the backup process: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 You might also want to create a restore point.

5. jmas

jmas TS Member

fritzi93: Your statement re: software conflict is right on. However, Sonic and Roxio are compatible. They are the same company. Roxio is the more sophisticated of the two and offers more abilities. Here is the info from
    Roxio regarding company ownership, etc.

Roxio Creator 9 Home
    Version: 9.0.088
    Build: 900B88F, R03
    Serial Number: ST-2VRCS-C79T3-QH8ZU
    Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2006

Module Name: PX Engine
    Build: 3.0.88a, 94

Module Name: Roxio Core
    Version: 3.3.0
    Build: 3.30.45a, R9S

jmas

6. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Recurvyarcher

Just goes to show you're never too old to learn, especially on this site. I haven't been able to record to my CD after some problems on my computer last year. I checked as you indicated, and sure enough, the box was not checked.

Thanks

Bill Radwan

7. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

jmas, well I may have gotten that one wrong. Now that I think on it, didn't Sonic buy Roxio, or vice-versa, a few years back?. I always thought (Sonic's) px engine was superior, and hey, there it is in the current Roxio. IIRC, Prassi Ones uses a derivation of it as well.

Anyway Pffft! So much for the complicated solution, at least for WilliamMR. Recurvy came up with the simple fix for him. Never overlook the obvious.

8. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Thank you to everyone for the help. I greatly appreciate the time you took to give us some help. I'll work with the simple then go for the more difficult and if I feel I'm over my head it's off to the computer shop. Michael and Jane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.